The Corroboree
Demonpigeon

Help With Psychotria Viridis leaf cuttings?

I bought a P. Viridis leaf and followed the instructions (snap vein, wrap in paper, place in humidity dome)
but the areas around the snap points are browning up, is that meant to happen? Do I still have any chance of rooting? The leaf arrived slightly yellowed with no petiole and not in the healthiest looking state so if this thing isn't going to root I'd rather complain now instead of two weeks when I just have a pile of mould and it'll cost me £4 + P&P to order a new one.

I'll try and get some pictures to put up :-/

Browing is normal in my experience. It should be fine, is the leaf still reasonably turgid and "fresh", not too dehydrated and not too floppy?

And you'll be waiting a lot longer than two weeks to see if they will root. It can be as long as a few months until roots form and little shoots pop up. But when they do, you can get quite a few plants from each leaf.

• Like 1

slightly yellow, means the vendor gave you a crappy leaf.

complain to him, and ask for a replacement, which is deep green, very succulent, and "fat"!

i have no doubts believing, he gave you a leaf from the bottom of the plant, or even a fallen one.

those can still root, but are crap compared to leaves, taken from 1/3 down from the growing tip.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

I would actually say I personally have better success using the bottom leaves, it's like a will to live sorta thing in my mind.

They'll be fine tho, don't stress but of the leaf was sub par quality yeh get some more, hopefully for free!

• Like 1

Hello, if it's just a small area of browning, it still can root but as Alice said, you have to wait for a couple of weeks or maybe a few months before you can see any shoots or roots. This happens to me before and it survived. Just make sure to not exposed it to full sun, keep in shaded place with high humidity and it will be fine.

• Like 1

I used the same method & got little roots within 2 weeks. I left them in the bag for another week, carefully washed the paper off the, potted them in a humidity dome (a seedling propagator), and got new stalks emerging from the soil about 2 weeks after that.

however I guess it probably varies with temp / humidity etc.

I had the bag in a grow box under CFL lights, about 35' C.

Edited by 3lliot

can you post some pic of your seedlings?

25'C (bottom heat) is the optimal temp for root development.

Keeping the leaf cutting dome on the hot water system may improve root growth.

25 deg C is quite cold, according to my humble opinon, I believe one can go much warmer, and this wiil speed up root formation dramasticly.

I like to fluctuate temps, but some of you might disagree.

• Like 2

Yeah, I would have to agree that 25 deg C is on the nippy side for me.

I refuse to emerge from my lair unless the day promises 30 C or better!

However, I base this 25 C figure due to knowlege that many of the commercial propagators (in Sub-tropical Brisbane at least) that have heated benches use this temp.

I agree though that higher temps would increase activity, especially if the cuttings are in a good enclosure with a high humidity.

Its the moisture loss thats the biggest problem at higher temps.

If you can control that you can push it up a bit.

I never had too much purchasing on concepts such as 'control' so fluctuate onward!

I know I do!

so you took the leaf out of your probagation set up, so you could scan it?

anyway, the leaf looks crap, but you could be still lucky.

it's better not to disturb any leaf cutting, as any small roots could break off...

• Like 2

i would be surprised if you get anything off that! but yeah you could get lucky

• Like 1

I lost the lead for my camera eventually I realised I could just pop the leaf on my scanner.

if that leaves roots and shows due cause to exist, i'd say rooting is a massive add on for the "roots on fax" app

• Like 2

so you took the leaf out of your probagation set up, so you could scan it?

anyway, the leaf looks crap, but you could be still lucky.

it's better not to disturb any leaf cutting, as any small roots could break off...

Yeah but it's just been getting crappier looking so I'd not got much hope by this point :-P there were no roots, it's totally bare, I put it back in though