The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Burn muthafucka! - cacti damage by fire

P1100788.jpg

there was a fire in the location I have the GH... Except the loss of the GH nylon damage inside was minimal, thankfully. DId you ever wonder how survivors from a fire look? Or even burns from fire?

P1100774.jpg

this was outside - and is one of the best looking ones, some died, especially bridgesii

P1100776.jpg

P1100775.jpg

this is one of my biggest TBMs, it seems a piece of burning plastic or something fell near, as this was INSIDE the GH.

They look suprisingly okay. Will the burnt skin heal up or will it just turn to rot?

I suppose it depends how far the heat penetrated the flesh as to whether they'll recover or not

you see the recovered ones. dont think anythink is turning to rot anyway soon

all were like they hadn't been watered for ages, also inside the GH - even though they had been watered properly the last night before the fire .

also, it sure helped that the watering pipes started leaking heavily due to the fire so a part of them outside was protected from the running water.

I will take more shots to show the carcasses of the dead ones next time.

seems our beloved friends are quite resilient.

the firemen did a lot of hazard burn offs localy, and all of the "wild" cacti (optunia & co) survive those either scarred or they regrow from the bottom.

I believe I have seen the same with pedros, they grow back from the base.

extremely hot and durable fires will though kill everything, and this includes even, the so called fire resistant Australian natives. we had one of those fires localy, I guess the are should have been back burned more often... the area I talk about, is shaped like steep funnel...

good to know, all is well at your place! :)

Edited by planthelper

I have heard talks from the Permaculture world about how back burning regularly is reducing biomass (mulch) which is causing the ground to dry more which is helping species that rely on fire more therefore creating a more dangerous area to live in. I can see this for myself in areas locally that cannot be burnt due to regular walkers/hikers, the ground is up to knee deep with leaves but underneath these leaves it is still wet even tho is hasn't rained more than a light shower for over a month.

The solution the Permies come up with is to selectively chop down & mulch (trunk/leaves/everything) one tree per 100 trees, or something like that. This dramatically help mycelium which acts like a sponge. The rest comes naturally.

here is a link if anyone is interested

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 1

^^^

nice..... me too cannot dislike the regeneration process that starts from the ashes...

Corpses photos.....

P1100826.jpg

P1100827.jpg

P1100828.jpg

Aloe's pretty hard too!

P1100829.jpg