The Corroboree
newageshaman

What Video Games Do You Play?

Yeah mans we used to play 'tanks versus tanks' for hours every day on these ancient macs, at primary school. They also allowed you to customise the "error" sound on the computers to whatever you wanted. Combine that with the mac's inbuilt microphone and you've got hours of fun!

My old housemate had a modded wii and i do agree, they are pretty cool. However i can't stand their controllers, even the "retro" ones. The gamecube controller attachment is totally worth it, but even then i think it's a travesty to play mario without the original NES brick:

Wikipedia_NES-CTRL.jpg

(approx actual size). Also on this note, i feel i should blow my own horn at this point, and point out that i can finish the original Super Mario Bros. within 4 minutes of the world record (without dying of course).

Always my favourite level, even when i thought they were just funny looking trees :rolleyes: :

Super_Mario_Bros._NES_ScreenShot4.jpg

I used to play a lot of 'kingdom of loathing' but I haven't had the time to dedicate to it for a while. I might just have to log in tonight...

It's a funny text based game that has a lot of trippy references and a very obsessed fan base.

It's also free!

Wait, what did i do? i don't know what gyrus is, or maelstrom for mac. however

BRAINWAVE

You just reminded me of one of my favourite childhood games. Spectre VR, for Mac. anyone played this old thing? 3D vector environment where you drive tanks around. Tanks were customisable in terms of strength, speed and firepower., you had a limited number of spec points to assign to these to create slightly different tanks.

I liked the atmosphere.

03-1.jpg

theres a free online game called tank wars, much like you describe except the terrain, nations and tanks are real, and you can fill your hangar with MBT's, howitzers, and fast tanks which scout for the artillery on your team. quite realistic and quite competitive, you need some tactics if you want to get kills. definitely gives you an appreciation of the limitations that WWII era tanks had (eg slow as they are, you still can't thrash around on uneven terrain)

• Like 1

Hey hey.

I just got xbox live and am looking for some friends. Anyone want to add me like this post and i'll message you my account details. happy gaming!!!

peace

Good thread that hasn't been posted in in a while, so I thought I'd bump it. There is a bit of a lull at the moment in game releases that I think is just starting to pick up again and we'll probably see a great deal of new AAA games out by early next year.

Lately I've really been making the effort to pay for all the games I play. My philosophy used to be that I would pay for games I really like and would 'otherwise obtain' games that I wouldn't have paid for anyway, but I started to question whether I was really following through on that due to the small number of games that I actually owned. So I made a commitment to buy all games I want to play. I no longer even 'test out' games. I do my research to work out whether it's worth the money before buying. I gotta say that I'm enjoying playing them more. Games that might seem a bit shitty at first, I'm more likely to invest the time to see if it can win me over when I've spent money on it. Also, I'm using Steam, and the Steam cloud and the achievement tracking makes gaming a lot more fun. That, and games are less buggy this way because of updates, and online play works, mods tend to work better, less likely to end up with malware...and best of all I feel like a contributing member of the gaming community.

Gotta give a big thumbs up for Steam in-home streaming too. It just came out of beta yesterday, but I've been using the beta for a few weeks and it's fantastic. I have computers all over the house, so it's great to be able to play anywhere I want. I'm using a wireless xbox 360 controller plugged into my host, so there's no need to setup controllers on each client computer. It's not ideal for quick-twitch games because of latency, but it's usable for all games, and great for more casual games.

Also, my graphics card died recently, so I put together my new gaming PC a bit early. I could have possibly just updated the graphics card, but when it died, I decided to spend the money I've been saving up. I still want to get an 800 series GTX when they are out, so rather than getting a 780ti right now, I just got a gtx750 (~$140) to tide me over and I'm surprised at how well it holds up on demanding games. For cpu, I went with a 4670k, which should hold up well when I upgrade the graphics card again. I got an MSI Z87-GD65, but I'm not overclocking yet because I didn't have the money for custom cooling. At least this gives me a bit of headroom for the future.

Games I'm really enjoying at the moment:

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owverlord (Standalone expansion. Really good hardcore platformer. Quite difficult, but the controls are fluid, so it's not frustrating. Thinking about getting the base game now.)

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Excellent kart racing game. Was always upsetting to me that Nintendo don't release mario-kart for PC, but this definitely fills the void. Don't expect a cheap clone; this is a great game in its own right)

SpaceChem (Difficult visual programming puzzle game. Any experience with programming will help here, but I think electrical engineers will have the biggest advantage)

Danmaku Unlimited 2 (I love bullet hell shooters, but hadn't found one I really like on PC before. I usually play the old Cave arcade ones on MAME. DU2 lives up to the standards set by Cave games and I'm really enjoying. Not sure if I'll ever unlock the last two achievements though.)

Edited by ballzac
typographical error

Wouldn't let me quote for some reason.

But Balzac; "But heck, I love playing candycrush saga while taking a dump" made my day :)

Battlefield 4 on PS3 at the moment.. I'm not a huge gamer, but I love that I can just pick this up & smash out an hour or so whenever I feel like it :)

I haven't bought any new games for such a long time. The last game I played was God of War: Ascension once it came off beta. I haven't tried it online yet.

Anyone remember the Carmageddon? I remember playing that when I was still in primary school. Man that was awesome.

What about Postal and Postal 2? Banned for high impact violence and "depiction of cruelty" :wub:

Edit;

China has some weird laws, they seem rather sensitive about some things.

- Battlefield 4, banned for the discrediting of China's national image as well as a threat to national security, in which the Chinese Ministry claims that the game shows it a "cultural invasion"

- Command and Conquer Generals, banned for "smearing the image of China and the Chinese army" despite the fact that the game shows China as a quasi-protagonist. Also the GLA campaign has the player destroy questionable targets such as the Three Gorges Dam and the Honk Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.

Edited by Schrodinger's Khat
  • Like 1

Call of Duty Ghosts and GTA V on xbox 360 and just usually play on live.

Trailer park it. A simple little sim that carries over into the real world of parking the dreaded box trailer.

One of the most practical games ever IMO. I only ever drive with a box trailer once in a blue moon & using that game is like a refresher course that gets you into the zone to do it for real. It's saved me a lot of embarrassment.

http://www.freewebarcade.com/game/trailer-park-it/

• Like 2

One game that is making me want to get back into gaming is 'The Last of Us', OMG that looks like such a brilliant game.
It looks a bit like a cross between Fallout and The Walking Dead.
If only it was available for PC.

Anyone here played it? how is it?

I even found the walk-through videos of it engaging, as much as most movies or series I have watched recently.

I quit gaming a few years ago because playing COD with my clan everyday was making my general anxiety condition worse.
Something I had to come to terms with was that being in fight/flight mode for most of your day, everyday, isnt good for you particularly if you already have anxiety issues. lol.

But this game and Bioshock Infinite has me chomping at the bit for some game time :)

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 2

gta 5 online (ps3) still awesome ^_^

• Like 1

If, like me, you played the living shit out of the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - until you knew where every dog and ambush and stash was, and then modded it so there were still some suprises, and then finally had to let it go after playing both the sequels as well...

You can now replay the whole game anew thanks to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Lost Alpha mod, which supposedly encompasses a whole heap of stuff that was rushed out of the original, like driveable cars - they've changed everything. It's a bit railroaded for my liking, and it's early days yet so it still tends to crash if you look at it funny (but that's alright, because you're playing Stalker after all, so you already have one finger on the quicksave key the whole time you're playing), but none of that matters because I get to play Stalker again! Whoo!

I quit gaming a few years ago because playing COD with my clan everyday was making my general anxiety condition worse.

Something I had to come to terms with was that being in fight/flight mode for most of your day, everyday, isnt good for you particularly if you already have anxiety issues. lol.

^ This. Constant scrimming from 8 ish till the wee hours of the morn don't do your adrenals many favours. Your clan name please.

• Like 1

If you like competitive multiplayer check out Hearthstone and Chivalry. Watch Dogs is nice if you like single player

Edited by Dale

Game of war : Fire Age. On IOS . It is an evil, malevolent , soul possessing , money grabbing and greedy cunt of a game.....but jeez it's fun.

• Like 1

Leisure suit Larry with a semi.

• Like 2

Just finishing playing through The Witcher 2 to see if it would be worth getting Wild Hunt when it comes out early next year. I think I still prefer Skyrim, but there's a lot about TW2 to love, and it looks like most of the shortcomings will be fixed for Wild Hunt, so I'm pretty sure I'll get it. Not so sure about Dragon Age Inquisition. I didn't find Origins very interesting, but Inquisition will be out pretty soon, and it's going to be pretty hard to give it a miss when it's going to be so long before Wild Hunt, and there isn't even word of an Elder Scrolls VI yet.

TES VI is online. It is out on pc already if I am not mistaken and will be out on xbox live in June. I am debating whether or not to purchase it for the reasons it is $15? A month and has already gotten a ton of bad reviews.

TES VI is online. It is out on pc already if I am not mistaken and will be out on xbox live in June. I am debating whether or not to purchase it for the reasons it is $15? A month and has already gotten a ton of bad reviews.

"TES Online" is online. There is currently no game called "TES VI".

My mistake. I had seen other pissed off TES fans refer to it as the sixth installment. I am still working on completing the dragonborn dlc for skyrim. But I keep wanting to redo my character.

Has anyone given TES online a go?

I finally took the time to look more into tes online and it is way overpriced for what it is. Just.comparing the trailer to the.actual game play I was not impressed. I want to play it just because it is part of tes and I really like the series but I will wait for it to go f2p.

Anyone playing world of tanks? How would you rate it?

• Like 1

Hammering Watch dogs and Murdered Soul Suspect ATM