The Corroboree
EthnoGuy85

Wanted Melaleuca alternifolia seeds

If any of our Aussie members would be kind enough to supply me with some of these seeds I'd be very greatful. Have heaps of ornamental and edible seeds just lemme know what you'd like.

Thanks

*EG85*

I have 4 different narrow leaf tea trees growing in my yard, 2 of them look close to the pictures I can see on the net of Melaleuca alternifolia. 2 of the tree I have smell like lemon tea tree, the other 2 smell like just tea tree oil but one is sweeter smelling. I can take some photos if you want to ID them or I can just collect some seeds & send them over.

The more the merrier. I just want to grow some so send all that you like! :)

I have 4 different narrow leaf tea trees growing in my yard, 2 of them look close to the pictures I can see on the net of Melaleuca alternifolia. 2 of the tree I have smell like lemon tea tree, the other 2 smell like just tea tree oil but one is sweeter smelling. I can take some photos if you want to ID them or I can just collect some seeds & send them over.

The lemon-scented ones are probably Leptospermum species not Melaleuca sp.They are potentially L. petersonii and quite different plants to M. alternifolia,

• Like 1

They do sound interesting and I'd be thrilled to give them a go as well.

The flowers are like bottle brush flowers but white on the bushes i have. I did a quick look at Leptospermum flowers & they look very different. So I am pretty sure they are Melaleuca. The flowers are just finishing on 2 of them so I will try and get the seeds.

Edited by Leaves

I am not familiar with any classically lemon-scented Melaleuca species - I am really interested in what this plant is Leaves..

The flowers are like bottle brush flowers but white on the bushes i have. I did a quick look at Leptospermum flowers & they look very different. So I am pretty sure they are Melaleuca. The flowers are just finishing on 2 of them so I will try and get the seeds.

Possibly a Kunzea species??

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=gn&name=Kunzea

I know it awesome to get them wild harvested or from someones collection, but you can buy seeds on ebay and they ship to the states.

I'm going to buy a pack because i only have L. petersonii which I love! smells so good and make a nice cup of tea.

I will take some photo's today, but they will be hard to ID I think because many of the paper barks aren't grow in nurseries & there is tons of them. A broader leaf one is Melaleuca quinquenervia (common native & serious weed in Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Oklahoma and Texas), the lemon smelling ones must be a local native also because I have noticed them in many other gardens around so I think the local council nursery should have them.

Yeah so I am not sure it is a good idea to send a potential/established noxious weed overseas.

Edited by Leaves