The Corroboree
niggles

10 Psychological States You've Never Heard Of And When You Experience Them

^ A persuasive book on the subject of quitting ciggies is 'The Easy Way' by Allan Car - Very interesting to read between the lines in that book. His writing style is a powerful form of hypnosis, also related to triggers and memory. The annoying thing is that the first 5-6 chapters are self referential hypnosis to give credibility to the book, then the rest is the goods on unpicking learned psychological behaviours. The writing style is so good that you could swap out the word 'smoking' and replace it with 'drinking', 'binge eating', 'furiously rubbing one out' or whatever your crux is... its not the usual 'this is bad for you don't do it' style of propaganda. I found the writing style to be extremely informative for mind programming and reverse engineering thought processes.

On the subject of psychological states - I've found that when you learn something in an altered state of consciousness, be it caffeinated, drunk, tired, emotionally charged, or any other 'non-baseline state'... the memories are most accessible to you when you return to that same altered state of mind. If I try to think about what I learned in one state of mind, from another state of mind, I find it patchy and disjointed, especially so when it's something I've learned from reading. The effect is less apparent when the learning was more 'immersive'

Edit: I must have learned to type in a different state of mind to the one I'm in now... :)

Edited by IndianDreaming

suspension of disbelief, a term usually applied in the context of enjoying a fictional movie or book.

i can't find the threads where i've rambled about what goes through the head while drifting off to sleep, but i've been more successful than usual lately in being able to extract these non-typical thought processes into normal waking consciousness.

this probably isn't the best terminology to use but i've decided that genuine suspension of disbelief can be one of the first changes your mind undergoes on it's descent into dreamspace. for example, normal waking consciousness one second, the next second using a more primal form of thought AND lessened or nil challenge arising in response to spontaneous and normally ludicrous notions, like "i'm a female saxophonist, going yachting".

lucky thing too, because recognising that kind of falsehood often brings you awake.

• Like 1

i wouldn't call it a full-fledged psychological state but maybe a kind of cognitive dissonance... in a dream today (you heard me, today) i was talking and several times per sentence my brain was noticeably trying to present my mouth with a wildly incorrect word. had it not been for other parts of my brain, which were able to intercept the errors in the nick of time allowing me to maintain, i would have sounded like i was having a stroke or something. lucky too, because i was talking to a beautiful bank teller and had already come across as a fool trying to find the account number in my phone.

i have memories of speaking jibberish for instance during some kind of fever, when my whole mind wasn't in touch with everyday reality. the dream was different, like only a specific part of the brain was haywire.

Cognitive dissonance is taking the easier path.

I have totally told a girl that i liked her boobs whilst intending to complement her hair on the walk-up.

for the record, i have also enjoyed memories distinct to the consciousness i have been in at the time.

like, damn the sun is bright.

and, wow that girl is attractive.

and, i think my father is not a retard.

...and only one of those is relative to me sober.

Edited by hunnicutt
  • Like 1

poor spiderman.

catches thieves just like flies

see the shame in his eyes