The Corroboree
niggles

10 Psychological States You've Never Heard Of And When You Experience Them

Ive heard of some of them.

Dysphoria
CYzD45Z.jpg
Dysphoria is general state of sadness that includes restlessness, lack of energy, anxiety, and vague irritation. It is the opposite of euphoria, and is different from typical sadness because it often includes a kind of jumpiness and some anger. You have probably experienced it when coming down from a stimulant like chocolate, coffee, or something stronger.
Enthrallment
4r0yn5k.jpg
Unlike the perkier subcategories of joy like cheerfulness, zest, and relief, enthrallment is a state of intense rapture. It is not the same as love or lust. You might experience it when you see an incredible spectacle — a concert, a movie, a rocket taking off — that captures all your attention and elevates your mood to tremendous heights.
Normopathy
5N81Vq8.jpg
People who are so focused on blending in and conforming to social norms that it becomes a kind of mania. A person who is normotic is often unhealthily fixated on having no personality at all, and only doing exactly what is expected by society. Many people experience mild normopathy at different times in their lives, especially when trying to fit into a new social situation, or when trying to hide behaviors they believe other people would condemn.
Abjection
NmoJ0zl.jpg
abjection is what you are feeling when you witness or experience something so horrific that it causes you to throw up. A classic example is seeing a corpse, but abjection can also be caused by seeing shit or open wounds. These visions all remind us, at some level, that our selfhood is contained in what Star Trek aliens would call "ugly bags of mostly water." The only thing separating you from being a dead body is . . . almost nothing. When you feel the full weight of that sentence, or are confronted by its reality in the form of a corpse, your nausea is abjection.
Sublimation
ohFmeYC.jpg
Sublimation is the process of redirecting your steamy desires from having naughty sex, to doing something socially productive like writing an article about psychology or fixing the lawnmower or developing a software program. If you've ever gotten your frustrations out by building something, or gotten a weirdly intense pleasure from creating an art project, you're sublimating.
Repetition compulsion
wV03evO.jpg
On the surface, a repetition compulsion is something you experience fairly often. It's the urge to do something again and again. Maybe you feel compelled to always order the same thing at your favorite restaurant, or always take the same route home, even though there are other yummy foods and other easy ways to get home. Maybe your repetition compulsion is a bit more sinister, and you always feel the urge to date people who treat you like crap, over and over, even though you know in advance it will turn out badly (just like the last ten times).
Repressive desublimation
B01Zw10.jpg
A good example of repressive desublimation is the intense partying that takes place in college. Often, people in college do a lot of drinking, drugging and hooking up — while at the same time studying very hard and trying to get ready for jobs. Instead of questioning why we have to pay tons of money to engage in rote learning and get corporate jobs, we just obey the rules and have crazy drunken sex every weekend. Repressive desublimation!
Aporia
GQOH104.jpg
You know that feeling of crazy emptiness you get when you realize that something you believed isn't actually true? And then things feel even more weird when you realize that actually, the thing you believed might be true and might not — and you'll never really know? That's aporia.
Compersion
oGYmYuv.jpg
The word compersion was popularized by people in online communites devoted to polyamory and open relationships, in order to describe the opposite of feeling jealous when your partner dates somebody else. Though a monogamous person would feel jealous seeing their partner kiss another person, a non-monogamous person could feel compersion, a sense of joy in seeing their partner happy with another person.
Group feelings
y4JzfGj.jpg
Some psychologists argue that there are some feelings we can only have as members of a group. Often you notice them when they are in contradiction with your personal feelings. For example, many people feel intergroup pride and guilt for things that their countries have done, even if they weren't born when their countries did those things. Though you did not fight in a war, and are therefore not personally responsible for what happened, you share in an intergroup feeling of pride or guilt.
  • Like 6

Aporia rules :)

Edited by Yeti101
  • Like 1

Aporia rules :)

I self diagnosed myself with this years ago, i found wrapping your head in tin foil and only going outside between the hours 12:08pm and 12:10pm really helps ease the symptoms. :blink:

• Like 1

^^^Hey?^^^^True?^^^

^^^Hey?^^^^True?^^^

Just kiddin man, i'm weird....but not that weird :lol:

I self diagnosed myself with this years ago, i found wrapping your head in tin foil and only going outside between the hours 12:08pm and 12:10pm really helps ease the symptoms. :blink:

If only I could individually wrap my individual neurons I'm sure I'd be fine.

• Like 2

normopathy sounds like a terrible thing, it's a feature in borderline, me thinks.

it will take me, months of repetition to learn those new words...

sublimination, is cool, I do it all the time.

is there a term for, when traumatic events, give you artistic inspiration?

not sure about a word for it but there's a case for it

http://www.laurakkerr.com/2011/03/13/does-trauma-increase-creativity/

aporea sounds like when apes eat to too many grapes. ape diarrhoea.

is there a word for when you've been playing with words for almost thirty years and suddenly realise you can spell words you never cared to learn the spelling of, like diarrhoea?

• Like 1

Repetition compulsion - yeah this rules my life. In fact I was reading about mental OCD in the Guardian the other day, I reckon I have a bit of that too. It's fucked.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/aug/31/pure-ocd-the-naked-truth

I have pure O, or pure OCD, a little-known type of obsessive-compulsive disorder. People with pure O experience repetitive thoughts, doubts and mental images about things such as sex, blasphemy and murder. Needless to say, I don't feel too "pure" when I've woken every morning for a fortnight to the crystalline thought of assholes.

Purely obsessional OCD is so-called because the compulsions are largely invisible, and not often acted out in the more obvious, better-known ways such as cleaning or hand washing. Pretty much everything about pure O is secretive. These are things you're not even supposed to think about, let alone talk about. How would a teenage boy tell his parents that he thought about having sex with his sister, a thousand times a day? What if you were a mother and you kept having thoughts about drowning your baby in the bath? Or a gay man who kept having thoughts about vaginas when you made love to your husband? How would you begin to talk about it? You'd keep it secret for years; for your whole life, perhaps.

This is why it's difficult to say how many people have pure O. One estimate puts the figure at 1% of the global population, or 630,000 in the UK alone; but it could be significantly higher, as many people with the condition don't even realise they have it. Why would they? If a boy was suddenly seized by repetitive thoughts about shagging his sister with, say, the narrow end of an avocado, would he automatically assume he had a neurotic disorder? How could he possibly know that messages were misfiring in his brain and preventing him from dismissing the kind of what-the-fuck thoughts most people shrug off without worry? He wouldn't. He'd assume he had a deep-rooted personal problem.

I am a firm believer that, once you understand, "what it is called" that bugs you, the issue, is not as bad anymore.

ocd, is extremely easy to self diagnose, so that person who thinks a thousand times a day, of having sex, with his sister, will not be able to stop those thoughts, from one moment to the other, but he can say, to himself, this is only happening because, I got ocd, and not because, I want to have sex a thousand times a day, with the sister.

further more, I doubt the person really want's to do this. obsessive compulsions, often build themselves around, things you in reality don't want to do. it's a trickster of the mind, for example, like many people, if I am somewhere located where, a fall or a slip could end my life, the mind screams, jump you idiot, do it, jump, jump...

or the woman that walks on the pier, and her compulsion screams, repeatedly, throw your handbag, in the water, throw your handbag in the water. and this only happens because in reality, the worst that could happen to this woman is, to accidently, lose the handbag, by falling into the water.

I hope this helps many of you, and yes, I got ocd as well, hehehe.

• Like 2

^yeah

we certainly seem to have trouble realising that the mind is a flexible tool. we all have personality types and basic tendancies but they're not set in stone. i have concluded that many people haven't realised they can do this, because they haven't got much control over the internal babble. a major reason for this lack of control is that they are in a kind of self-thraldom, they are not truly convinced that internal babble can be ignored to great personal benefit.

it's a great servant but a terrible master.

know thyself and thou shall......... see that there is much, much more to your mind than the ever-apparent surface ripples.

is there a word for knowing that you know something, but not remembering what it is? it's a fact of life for me, which occurs from simple knowledge down through to my deeper subconscious filters, mechanisms and languages, the murky depths of cognition where my brain hemispheres attempt to mediate one another and maintain the constructs from which, i guess, my entire sense of reality emerges. some aspects of my mind let down the whole mind because they can't perform their role, and the whole mental process suffers or stagnates.

fleeting glimpses of simple knowledge are easy to understand. frequently i know a word and it's meaning, but can't recall what it is. if my mind is generally managing well it will dredge the knowledge up in due time, using nootropics helps with this kind of thing but if i stop taking them for long enough it might be beyond my capacity.

(i do not enjoy states of mental retrogress. realising that a previous me had a more organised, plump, productive mind is a bit of a let down.)

in the middle i guess are promising thought sequences, processing some ideas or whatev, then realising that one miscalculation or missing byte of data has crashed the entire sequence. retracing my steps is usually impossible because it's like RAM in a computer, as the thought sequence rolls on the earlier parts of the sequence are now situated in the past and were intentionally wiped (as though from a crowded whiteboard), or weren't stored in longer term memory. smoking pot is really inviting this kind of scenario, but i am a chronic sufferer, maybe because i was such a stoner once upon a time.

and the deeper stuff, i guess, is a similar "can't retrace the steps" scenario, except moreso because there aren't enough structures joining up the different layers of mind. the submarine of present mind has a dismaying tendency to break surface, even if it has retrieved some tiny thing from the depths, the language is too cryptic and unrecognisable from a surface vantage.

so what's the word for being confounded within the fleeting splendour of your own brain?

• Like 3

is there a word for knowing that you know something, but not remembering what it is? it's a fact of life for me, which occurs from simple knowledge down through to my deeper subconscious filters, mechanisms and languages, the murky depths of cognition where my brain hemispheres attempt to mediate one another and maintain the constructs from which, i guess, my entire sense of reality emerges. some aspects of my mind let down the whole mind because they can't perform their role, and the whole mental process suffers or stagnates.

fleeting glimpses of simple knowledge are easy to understand. frequently i know a word and it's meaning, but can't recall what it is. if my mind is generally managing well it will dredge the knowledge up in due time, using nootropics helps with this kind of thing but if i stop taking them for long enough it might be beyond my capacity.

I started using pot relatively late in life, so I know that my, "knowing there is a word, but not remembering it, but to remember the meaning", has nothing to do with drug use.

it happens to me all the time, and the reason for it is my dyslexia!

the left brain remembers the word, and the right brain remembers, the whole thing around it.

the dyslexic brain, remembers even the, "whole thing around a word" (person, thing...), maybe even better than normal people.

for example, the word comfrey (yes, even now I had forgotten it again, although I used it only a short while ago, thank god I wrote it down) escaped me today. the head hurts when this happens, but I do remember in great detail everything, there is to know about comfrey!!!

so what I did, is to google the terms "permaculture border plants", and get the answere right away, no need to, even click any of the results, comfrey it say's, in the preview.

I have to do this very often when I compose replies.

yeah, it derives from aspects of the mind which don't synergise as well as they maybe could, like a high performance computer which has a bottleneck in a single component, or has unwieldy drivers or software.

pot changes things up in such a way as to exacerbate this particular flaw. pot upgrades your mind at the expense of short term memory, rendering many possible benefits unusable except in the fleeting present. i always thought a person with a robust, healthy mind could use pot carefully for powerful inspiration. the healthy mind would be achieved with nootropics (especially brahmi), mental challenges (puzzles, memory games) and meditation.

i think you will always have less control over the continuity of your thoughts if you can't have a reliable memory over the correct time frame! a writer's train of thought might only need a couple of carriages to keep on chugging, a science-mofo or a mathema-whiz trying to bust open a nuggety problem might need more. they might need to hold all of their working fragments up together in unison to see the final piece. (i believe strokes of genius can happen like this, if your brain is positioned correctly with the right puzzle pieces, and you're receptive to it's whispers).

i dunno, maybe its necessary for the very powerful human mind to keep itself mostly hidden from us, in the same way that the boss of a workplace functions best when the majority of information and decision-making is delegated elsewhere. when the boss walks onto the factory flaw he is largely clueless.

i dunno, maybe its necessary for the very powerful human mind to keep itself mostly hidden from us, in the same way that the boss of a workplace functions best when the majority of information and decision-making is delegated elsewhere. when the boss walks onto the factory flaw he is largely clueless.

this one I try to explain, with the different personalities which we carry.

every body will make a good king, if they allow, you to be king, or make you king.

I like how, you say, that a stroke of genius can only happen once in a while.

that's why, for example if you compose music, it's better if you take long breaks between inspiration.

it would be nice to know, how the brain does it, I am convinced, great ideas, can only produced once in a while.

composers who, write music and lyrics, everyday for living, say it exhausts them, and that it is a lenghy process, whilst composers who, get inspired once in a while, report that the write lyrics and music, of a whole rock song within 15 minutes.

great inspiration, is a rush, of performing far above average, very similar, to when you are much better, because of halus.

i can explain how the brain does it. the brain is AWESOME.

it's as awesome as the sun, syncretising data motes in it's dense, unreachable core into heavier chunks of reason and carefully consuming it's contents like this it steadily releasing torrents of illuminating noesis which churn their way through the mind's bulk, charging towards release then pulled by deep currents back towards the core, again and again like a beating heart of abstract fucking win, forming part of the living, surging interior, swirling around, bumping into each other, comparing notes and keeping the whole systems heat and pressure and magnetism at appropriate levels, ejecting as the surface allows and beaming godlike through the mental atmosphere, occasionally blocked by orbiting neuroses, fueling electronic devices aboard little robots launched by funny little men inhabiting a lush psychotic episode, settling in for a timeless journey through an ageing universe, mingling with smart-alec-tro-nerdnetic radiation from minds near and far, current and ancient, and that's just the first couple of chapt......... yeah nah, beats me

• Like 1

You're all beautiful people and thank you for sharing your stories its good to share!

• Like 3

actually my mock comparison of illumination from the brain to illumination from a star makes me think you might be right, genius discoveries are a long time in utero and when finally emitted, usually don't bump into any structures that could harness them.

is that what i have fleeting glimpses of? a belly full of developing ideas?

either way, i don't think we harness our brains very well, and perhaps when we come close there is a risk of not being taken seriously, or becoming very odd and losing your place in the world. successful geniuses are the proof of what we're capable of, because unless they were aliens, or alien creations, or students of aliens, then they were just plain old humans, who learned how to pilot their brain.

• Like 1

I will have to read your posts again and again, in the hope, that I will remember as much as possible.

we animals are slow learners, but there is probably as well a good reason for it.

sometimes it feels to me, like I almost understand how anything works, like for example string theory, but than it retracts right away again. and it was more a feeling of understanding, than something that can be put into words.

the genius is to, be able to put it into words.

I like it when the same discoveries are made by independent people, we are evolving.

• Like 2

Well I don't really have OCD luckily but I am quite habitual. Usually when someone informs me of a bad one I will try to take it on board and change. Like my diet, a couple of guys turned around and said I always eat the same stuff day in day out and it was terribly bad for me. It came about when I changed my diet unwillingly when I became gluten / wheat intolerant and didn't have a clue how to eat without bread, pasta, etc. All my staples were gone and I didn't know what to eat so I went to potatoes which are a bitch to cook when I get home so lots of eating out (chips etc.).

But now I have changed my habit and will deliberately create a new one, using fresh veggies and nuts and rice and lots of fruit instead of potato (to replace the lost carbs) and meat. I can just as easily swing by Coles every night to pick up fruit and veggies than swing by the takeaway.

But coffee and cigarettes! How do I change these evil habits re-inforced by a screaming body?

the physical withdrawals won't make your butt fall out, so let me be the first to make an insulting suggestion. your screaming body is a screaming brat. if you roll your ankle it's screams are like the screams of a brat with a rolled ankle. if it screams for nicotine, why did you let your kid take up smoking anyway man, i thought you'd be a better parent jeez.

you are increasing your risk of lung cancer and burning good dollars for a measly nicotine hit which can be obtained in other ways. stop doing that.

give your family permission to flick you hard in the nose if they catch you smoking.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Planthelper - There's a book called 'Outliers: The story of success' by Malcolm Gladwell that goes into the minds and workings of the exceptional geniuses of the world. It's the authors take on how it happens, but when I saw your post, the name of the book was dredged from the depths of my mind.

The word for forgetting words is

Lethologica: Wiki quote: Is a psychological disorder that inhibits an individual's ability to articulate his or her thoughts by temporarily forgetting key words, phrases or names in conversation.

It could also be 'Aphasia' - but I think that's more of a physical brain injury type thing, not just psychological.

Edit: Also, I read somewhere about learning, that the more senses that are used during the experience of gaining new knowledge, the more easily it is absorbed and related to your bank of current knowledge. Reading alone was something like only 10% retention (hence having to read again and again), whereas a full subjective experience like being in a swimming pool, with an instructor talking to you, and helping you kick etc.. is sight, sound, touch, smell all piling in together to tack your current learning experience on to each of your other senses experiences, which makes it easier to recall because you've got lots of senses that can re-trigger the memory.

A good test of this is to read a book and pinch yourself and make a unique noise like Blabberfart! when there's a really good bit you want to remember - you'll remember it more easily because there's more stimulus associated with that paragraph.

Edited by IndianDreaming
  • Like 2

LOL I'm on the patches. I have long thought my nicotine addiction obscured other issues (self-medication) and I'm trying to tackle those as I withdraw. Sometimes it's really not as simple as going cold turkey, even if it does work for some. Withdrawal also triggers my hypochondria (weird side effect that) which is truly mentally crippling. I'm not having the best of times right now..

• Like 1

ww, I never used patches, I love the turkey, it's painful, but you win faster.

physical withdrawl, is easy to break, but the psychological aspects are harder to break.

that's why many people start again.

who is boss? you or the cigies?

don't be a slave to cigies.

I chain smoked at times, stopping cigies was the best thing I ever did.

anyway, work hard on beating the psychological aspects, talk to yourself, with encouraging messages.