The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jox

Pelecyphora questions

I was wondering if anyone here grows these cool little cacti? I was lucky enough to get my hands on five P.strobiliformis seeds last year, four of these seed germinated (sown 1/9/12) & turned a year old yesterday, they are still very small & are one of the slowest growing cactus I have grow from seed.

I have a couple of questions regarding this species, the first being can anyone get there hands on P.asseliforms seed & would they be willing to trade/sell me some?

The other question is for those that have had experience growing P.strobiliformis or have seen it as a seedling, I am wondering at what stage/age will they start to look mature? I got my seeds from an overseas seed shop along with hundreds of other kinds of cacti seed, all the other seed turned out to be what I paid for so I can't see why these would be wrong but they look nothing like the photos of mature specimens & I can't find a photo of a seedling anywhere on the net.

Here are a few photos of my year old seedlings.

post-11291-0-09985800-1378207313_thumb.j post-11291-0-94263000-1378207240_thumb.j

post-11291-0-34186100-1378207545_thumb.j post-11291-0-67391200-1378207391_thumb.j

Here is a photo out of one of my books showing how they look when mature.

post-11291-0-95532500-1378207592_thumb.j

Thanks for looking, if anyone has info on these or can help me track down P.asseliformis seed it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jox

post-11291-0-94263000-1378207240_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-09985800-1378207313_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-67391200-1378207391_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-34186100-1378207545_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-95532500-1378207592_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-94263000-1378207240_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-09985800-1378207313_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-67391200-1378207391_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-34186100-1378207545_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-95532500-1378207592_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They look nice and healthy. But that is as much as i know atm :)

ok i am breaking my number one rule. Do not post while drunk.......I will be back when spell check isn't lying to me.

cheeeeers

got to have another drink or maybe not.......

• Like 2

Hey Jox,

I have a couple mature (12yo) asseliaformis, hopefully I get flowers and can produce some seed this summer, if I do u will be the first to know k :)

I tried growing a few asseliaformis from seed and didnt have great luck. I was still very noob and only had 1/10 survive the first year, although that later died through lack of care.

They are extremely slow growing, so im assuming thats why yr babies look so different, they have been grown in such lush conditions!!

I will take pics of my plants tonight and post them here tomorrow.

I will also track down some cultivation notes, as i'm sure I have seen them mentioned in a couple of my cactus books.

And.. I'll also check in with my nz seed suppliers and hook you up if I find any.

They are definately a favourite of mine.. And the flowers?! :wub:

• Like 2

They look more Turbinicarpus like than Pelecyphora to me, however I have no direct experience with seedlings from either genus so I could be way off...

I also just came across this

Edited by Kykeion

Thanks guys,

@ kykeion, I agree mate they do look similar to Turb seedlings, I am currently growing 4 different kinds of Turb's from seed, lopho, swobo & two unknown. There are slightly different though.

I am pretty confident that they will be what I paid for.

@ Ceres, you my friend are a lovely person & I am happy to wait until your little ones flower. Thank you :worship:

@ Got, man your comments are just DRUNK DRIBBLE & what a rebel breaking your own rules :wink::lol:. Mate any time you leave a comment in one of my threads I happy. I'm just pissed off you don't live closer, then I could get drunk with you :) .

Cheers

Jox

Sorry im a bit forgetful, here are my asseliformis

post-8023-0-05390000-1378767731_thumb.jp

And some info from my cactus encyclopedia:

Pelecyohora:

This genus contains two species which are both as sought-after as they are slow growing: a 1cm wide plant may be five to seven years old. Both are restricted in their natural habitat and are highly protected.

The flowers are uniform in both species: dark purple and 2.5cm wide, the are bourne several times from late spring through summer and produce a small, dry fruit which is hidden amoung the tubercules.

Instead of collecting the seed, many growers will let the seed trickle down from the plant and harvest the seedlings that germinate around the plant.

Pelecyphora asseliformis:

Named the "hatchet cactus" for the shape of the tubercules, this species forms clusters flat with the ground in its habitat. It is rot-prone and should be grown in a small pot with coarse potting soil. The plant pictured is atleast 40 years old. The fastest method of producing large specimens is to graft small seedlings or offsets, grow them on for several years, de-graft them and re-root the mature plant.

It will tolerate temperatures to -7degrees celsius for brief periods.

post-8023-0-76465000-1378768578_thumb.jp

Pelecyphora strobiliformis:

Previously in the monotypic genus Encephalocarpus, this plant differs from the asseliformis species in having scale-like tubercules and by generally being solitary; otherwise the flowers and fruit are almost identical. Rot-prone and slow-growing, it is often grafted to speed its growth and ensure its long term survival.

The unusual, clustering specimen pictured is atleast 40 years old. It will tolerate brief periods to -7degrees celsius.

post-8023-0-64542800-1378768840_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

Doh! I see by the identical photo from your first post Jox, that you have the same book as me lol! Well that makes the info a bit redundant haha but i'll leave it there incase someone else is interested :P Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

Slowest growing lil bastids there is. I have only the one asseli with four heads, bout 3cms tall and seed was put down 2002 or 2003. tiny. I would trade but its one plant i dont tink i could ever cut into due to the ridiculously slow speed of growth. I have no idea why lophs command greater prices because peles are much better looking plants and far harder in all respects from seed to grafting imo.

• Like 1

Nah dood,

That looks like some kind of Eriosye spp, probably called neo............. something at one time.

Got to head out I will have a better look later.

Cheers

Jox

Edited by Jox

@ Got, man your comments are just DRUNK DRIBBLE & what a rebel breaking your own rules :wink::lol:. Mate any time you leave a comment in one of my threads I happy. I'm just pissed off you don't live closer, then I could get drunk with you :) .

Shit I forgot about that post I meant to come back and edit it but now it will have to stay as a black spot on my clean living persona that I have managed to keep intact up until now. :innocent_n:

I was sure I had some Pelecyohora seeds but I had a quick look the other night but........................nothing. I will go and have another proper look ( as my wife would say a girl look ) this time and see what I can find.

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

Shit Zelly is there anything that you dont have. :)

Jox check this Ebay seller out http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=cookscactus&rt=nc especially the last page. You will also find him over here http://forum.auscactiforum.net :wink:

And to get really depressed because we cant have any check out the prices on these freaks and rarity's from this polish seller http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?item=181210997517&pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item2a3104630d&_ssn=kaktus-net&rt=nc

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub::drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

I was sure I had some Pelecyohora seeds but I had a quick look the other night but........................nothing. I will go and have another proper look ( as my wife would say a girl look ) this time and see what I can find.

Cheers

Got

Funny, now I would call that a man look :P

Holy bejesus Zelly! Your collection kicks ass.

Wow zelly that is awesome, did you want me to PM my addy so you can send it over :lol:? I love see your cactus :worship:

@Got, no black spot in my eyes mate, shit you listen to your wife :o that is something I try to avoid doing, I ignore mine for as long as I can get away with it :wink:. Thanks for adding the links, I have been avoiding looking at places like that for the time been as I am flat broke.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Cheers

Jox

Can anyone tell me if this is a pelecyphora?

post-8023-0-57970100-1378874095_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-81550100-1378874112_thumb.jp

It has been floating around out of its pot for several months, i can't remember what it is or where it came from, but i thought today i should pot it up and start to look after it since it has done so well to survive this long despite my neglect.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks like a big thumb with dirt under the finger nail. :wink:

Lol woops, didnt think it would be such a huge photo! The dirt under the nail proves i am a devoted gardener, so much repotting and glochoid-removing i have no time for cleaning under fingernails before taking id pix :P

But err.. The wee cactus?

Possibly, if not its probably some sort of turbinicarpus

Might be Turbinicarpus valdezianus