The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Leaves

Camphor laurel (Cinnamomum camphora)

First off Camphor laurel is listed as toxic/carcinogenic to humans and some animals.

http://www.bioinfo.in/uploadfiles/13257330861_1_1_JCRL.pdf

The above link includes this info - In Iran’s folk medicine, camphor has

been used both as an aphrodisiac and antiaphrodisiac. In small doses, camphor is used as an
aphrodisiac to excite the reproductive organs, causing considerable heat in the urethra and nocturnal
emissions. However, in large doses, it is used as an antiaphrodisiac to diminish urino-genital irritation.
Above link states this - Extracts have been used as a brain stimulant for epilepsy, and other mental disorders.

I thought this would be beneficial to the environment to share my experiences with Camphor laurel seedlings since it is a invasive species in Australia. I have been using the leaves off mature trees for making extracts to use in soap making. These mature tree leaves smell like camphor but I noticed the small Camphor laurel plants growing underneath the trees smell like Sassafras. Since I really enjoy sass root tea I thought I would try some Camphor laurel seedling leaf tea. I used about 50 seedlings each with about 4 leaves on each plants, just cut the roots off then put the stems/leaves in plunger coffee jug, added some cold water & used a stick mixer to macerate them then let sit for 1 or 2 hours then filtered with the coffee plunger. The resulting tea tasted nice & I only need to add a small amount of honey to make a drink I wouldn't mind drinking often if it is safe enough. It took over an hour before full effects were felt which were a mood lift, moderate stimulation & warmth. I found coffee was very stimulating if I drink it anytime after the tea.

Since safrole has been found to be only sedating & nothing more would anyone know what is causing the mood lift/stimulation from Camphor laurel seedling tea? No negative effects have been felt from the tea personally but definitely be cautious with this plant. I am not recommending anyone try this tea but I am interested in knowing what is causing the effects.

Edited by Leaves

I used to work, in a very dusty environment every day, which caused bronchial issues, to aid this condition, I used camphor leaves, as an inhalant.

I never heard safrol, is sedating and nothing more, I was told the body will metabolise the safrol, into uplifting activas.

I even noticed effects, using camphor wood in cabinet making. if for example you use a router, the wood will heat up and release intoxicating fumes.

leaves, I personally would not use camphor seedlings, unless, I know what they contain.

what I try to say, has maybe no merit, but I would rather suggest to be on the save side. seedlings or young plants, might have a total or slightly different make up of active compounds, compared to mature plants. young plants, want to protect themselves from being eaten, whilst old ones don't.

it would be nice to know, how the profile changes, regarding old and young camphor.

Thanks PH, I agree that it is too risky to use this plant internally often. The seedlings do not smell at all like the mature trees, they only have the anise/sassafras smell. I have heard that others have done a bioassay on pure safrole & it only had sedative effects nothing more (also humans have the enzyme present to break it down so it is not carcinogenic). Some others have suspected cinnamolaurine as the active in Sassafras because they have extracted the safrole out of the sassafras and then tried making a tea from the safrole-less sassafras, this resulted in a stronger effect than when safrole is present. I am interested in this cinnamolaurine & since it is legal it would be great to work out what is going on :)