The Corroboree
Glass Roots

Need help with black spots

Just noticed a couple of these black spots on my bridge but I'm not sure if it's rot or what. It's only showed up on the new pups. What is it? Should I cut it out, or maybe remove the pups?

Sorry my camera couldn't take clearer pictures.

BlackDot1_zps941b2b5d.jpg

BlackDot2_zpsa914f459.jpg

• Like 1

as others will say im sure, most of the time they'll just dry up... bridgesiis seem more prone to black rotted spots

than other trichos... usually a response to a little too much water, humidity or over feeding

I've had them a couple times on a penis plant... both times the pup was half rotted and had black ooze

and so in those cases I just cut them off, but never seemed to pass to the main penis

but in cases where they look as that, just watch them,,, they may start drying up quick.. just don't water them

keep away from moisture for a bit..with those simple steps, its very likely to just stop and callous over...

Update:

The black spots are growing in size and it seems there are more smaller dots showing up on the pups. Also looks like a black spot is showing up on the main stock right at where the pups are.

your first pics appear calloused in the middle so my first assumption was the typical rot spots

and they dry up just like those in the center..

I wouldn't rule out some type of bug bites... and if thats the case well eliminating those and sulfur would help

but if its a genuine infection then you'd want to cut right away.. since there is spreading then fast action would be called

for... same rules, clean blade with alcohol and dry before every swipe til theres no discoloration... the only exception being

near calloused skin, the underlying tissue is usually discolored...

I'd personally cut the pup off and a good size chunk beyond the spot and be worry free

someone else may want to chime in as theres still the possiblity of other causes...

Definitely check your soil, if it hasn't dried out then it could be soil related, particularly with bridgesii but also with any plant which hasn't had time to establish (I think for some that means an entire season but thats must my O) ... if thats the case I would uproot so the roots can dry out... another thing about bridgesiis, is they repond really ugly like to too much nutes especially nitrogen...

if the soil is truly bone dry then i'd be concerned about an infection in which case, time could be working against you... maybe poke your finger in as deep as you can and if theres still moisture.... I had a bridgesii that responded with lots of spots the first season... and the soil was too moist.. one I saved but the other did just fine in the 2nd season once established..

one spot growing, not so much an issue, but multiple new spots plus oozing = yikes!

any new pics?

Edited by Spine Collector

usually a response to a little too much water, humidity or over feeding

Dont cut into it, leave it alone. If its into the core and its a small plant then turf it. If its a big plant then then let it dry out and lay off the ferts. Bridgies get spots all the time and generally heal up as soon as you stop worrying about them :)

• Like 1

I'll throw up some new pic's tomorrow when I get a chance. It's about 60cm, and yeah I haven't watered/fertilized it since the spots showed up.

Hi Glass Roots, pretty sure thats nothing to worry about.

Edited by Evil Genius

BlackDotNew1_zps101a0e00.jpg

You can see that newer small dots are starting to pop up

BlackDotNew2_zps74da7f8d.jpg

It's now spread to the main trunk, right underneath the right pup.

BlackDotNew3_zpsa42e8bbb.jpg

they're callousing... if it was more serious you woulda known by now

If you are worried hit it up with some fungicide, its about all you can do.

Lime/sulfur is good but Mancozeb is better and has a short withholding period.

But really it doesn't look too bad and this year seems to be a big one for spots. I know of quite a few people saying their collections are showing higher levels of fungal/bacterial issues than usual.

I blame it on chemtrails.. :wink:

Edited by AndyAmine.

Don't you love caring for cacti?

I too, fret at everything, no matter how small - i feel like a worried parent.

That'll be fine..

• Like 2