The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
maddogmorgan

ABSINTHE

Has anyone ever attempted to make absinthe before, I am quite interested in making/ consuming some. Does anyone know of any laws conserning absinthe.

thanx

Guest VENDEJO

Yeah my gnome has made it a number of times. Apparently it makes a night out more lucid, with speech and driving becoming very lucid/blurry (shop lights look exciting).

My girlfriend's heart started beating rapidly when she had one shot of it, but she may be allergic to alcohol. I think my gnome was trying to get her pissed. Best mixed with Swedish vodka (40% alcohol?). Strong stuff - much more entertaining than having a beer.

Great for watching films at the cinema! Visuals stand out a lot more - the films almost become 3D somtimes biggrin.gif

Oh yeah my gnome, Simon, saw Moulin Rouge on Absinthe. It started to look OK... (the film was based on it's use!!!). Simon says DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/absinthe/a.../absinthe.shtml

[This message has been edited by VENDEJO (edited 23 April 2002).]

An 1855 recipe from Pontarlier, France, gives the following instructions for making absinthe: Macerate 2.5 kilograms of dried wormwood, 5 kilograms of anise and 5 kilograms of fennel in 95 liters of 85 percent ethanol by volume. Let the mixture steep for at least 12 hours in the pot of a double boiler.

Add 45 liters of water and apply heat; collect 95 liters of distillate. To 40 liters of the distillate, add 1 kilogram of Roman wormwood, 1 kilogram of

hyssop and 500 grams of lemon balm, all of which have been dried and finely divided. Extract at a moderate temperature, then siphon off the liquor, filter, and reunite it with the remaining 55 liters of distillate. Dilute with water to produce approximately 100 liters of absinthe with a final alcohol concentration of 74 percent by volume (Arnold 1989).

Guest Mesqualero

I have seen Dried, Packaged Wormwood in New Age stores... for use in Magickal Rituals...

Just wondering if anyone knows if this wormwood contains what we are looking for... thujone isnt it?

I made my own absinthe a couple of weeks ago...

I found a bottle of 54% rice wine in a vietnamese shop...it cost only 12 bucks, because that shop didn't have a license anyway.

The taste was gross initially, but after adding plenty of fresh wormwood which I have in abundance, sorta almost filling the bottle with it, and letting it stand one night, the taste had greatly improved...

so after drinking probvably 200 to 300 milliliters of the stuff during the night it got you smashed really nice...with one of the worst hangovers one can imagine, AND DURING THE HANGOVER YOU WERE TRIPPIN'!

Excellent stuff for turning you off alcohol...

Guest VENDEJO

This information is to be used for academic research purposes only. The author will not be held accountable for the use or misuse of the information contained in this message.

Some guy on stoutbillys.com posted these recipes, apparently the first one tastes better but the second one is easier to make. Check out Absinthe Wine for a tasty treat the kidIs might enjoy afterschool:

Absinthe#1

Ingredients:

1 pint, vodka

2 teaspoons, anise seed

4 cardamon pods

1/2 teaspoon, ground coriander

1--2/3 cups, sugar syrup* (mix sugar with boiled water then allow water mixture to cool)

2 teaspoons, crumbled wormwood (dried)

1/2 teaspoon, fennel seed

1 teaspoon, marjoram

2 teaspoons, chopped angelica root

Procedure:

Place vodka in large jar with tight fitting lid. Add wormwood and shake well; steep 48 hours and strain out. Crush seeds and pods in mortar. Add them and all remaining spices to vodka and steep in a warm place 1 week. Filter and sweeten. (The sugar syrup mentioned above is your standard simple syrup) fermenting, then filter it. Pour it into bottles, putting two raisins into each bottle. After a few days *I'd say leave it a week* it should be good enough to drink. Pour through several layers of cheese cloth. Squeeze dry, then add more water and squeeze again. Add water to make about 2 gallons, heat, and dissolve in sugars. Bring to boil, add citroid juices, and boil stirring frequently (to avoid excessive sugar carmelization) for about 30 minutes. Pur into fermenter containing 2+ gallons cold water carefully (to avoid hot stuff on cold glass) and add more water to make about 5 gallons. Pitch. Ferment. Bottle. Drink. and serendipity: I'd hate to try and reproduce it exactly. But I think there's good info in the recipe, which can be applied to other attempts.

Absinthe#2

Ingredients:

1 cup, vodka

1 teaspoon, crumbled wormwood

2 tablespoons, chopped peppermint leaves

1 piece, lemon peel, 3/4" x 2"

1/3 to 1/2 cup, sugar syrup

Procedure:

Steep wormwood in vodka for 48 hours. Strain out and add peppermint leaves and lemon peel. Steep for 8 days, strain and sweeten. Smells good but is more bitter than #1.

Absinthe Wine

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons, peppermint

2 teaspoons, thyme

2 teaspoons, hyssop

2 teaspoons, sage

2 teaspoons, dried wormwood

2 teaspoons, lavender

2 teaspoons, marjoram

2 pints, port

Procedure:

All herbs are dried. Steep herbs one week, filter and bottle. My notes describe this as "bitter, aromatic and potent". My gnome said "fuck thayt".

There was a fine article in Scientific American a couple years back which described the production of absinthe by the Pernod company, complete with their recipe.

There is also an Absinthe FAQ document that was written by Matthew Baggot. Check erowid.org for more info.

Guest VENDEJO

This information is to be used for academic research purposes only. The author will not be held accountable for the use or misuse of the information contained in this message.

A friend of a friend of a gnome once posted this:

Absinthe Extract

Ingredients:

4 C fresh absinthe leaves

1 C Everclear

1 C brandy

Procedure:

Bruise leaves and cover with liquor in a glass bowl or large Pyrex flask. Cover to prevent evaporation and let steep for a week, agitating occassionally and mashing leaves down into the liquid. Strain through several layers of cheesecloth before using.

About the laws, The missus showed me a wormwood article in may's cleo mag,

It says Absinthe is now sold in many bars in Australia.

"It's legal to sell here, Says the distributer, As long as it contains less than 10mg of wormwood per litre".

any absinthe recipe that does not include distillation is not going to make a decent product. the real thing is a delight.

Guest Thelema

i was reading that its only the wormwood bark that contains thujone. App. pernod still use the LEAVES in its distillation (tho ive heard this denied too)

Even most countries where absinthe is legal (like czech) there is a limit at 120mg thujone per litre. www.absinthegold.com

make a product with over 200mg.Apparently even this is way below the levels of thujone thought to be consumed in the 19th c original