The Corroboree
mimzy

Staying off the radar

Several top websites use device fingerprinting to secretly track users

http://phys.org/news/2013-10-websites-device-fingerprinting-secretly-track.html

tool will be freely available at homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~gacar/fpdetective/ for other researchers to use and build upon.

The findings will be presented at the 20th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security this November in Berlin.

1x1.gif Explore further: Metabolic 'fingerprinting' of tumors could help bowel cancer patients

Provided by KU Leuven

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 2

I am not anonymous online and I have become slightly paranoid now! Thanks Rootkitshit!

Go Anonymous http://youtu.be/gHRsFCZtG2Y Illuminati song by Anonymous is my new theme song.

I often wonder if they are watching me but my common sense tells me, I am just not big enough to be watched full time, I am a low to medium risk so far, I reckon, but when I Inherit large sums of money or ruffle too many feathers too often, things might change.

So I only send world-changing emails once every few months and I have begun to build my support base so if I disappear there will be a lot of people to ask questions.

So the more that people take their power back, the more the controllers will have to contend with. I am sure they are already outnumbered and often outsmarted..

I am just not big enough to be watched full time, I am a low to medium risk so far, I reckon, but when I Inherit large sums of money or ruffle too many feathers too often, things might change.

More like you are just not big enough to be watched full time by a human but we are all watched constantly by the machines, or more to the point AI's.

• Like 1

Haha, sorry just noticed my 5 duplicate posts... must have been having some connection issues that night so apologies.
Which lazy admin let those stay on there lol?

Just want to mention that recently I've been adding a few different host files on the internet containing malware and ad domains to my /etc/hosts on my android and linux devices thanks to Apoth.'s advice. I recommend doing the same as not only does it block ads in browsers and apps on my hosts but also blocks connection to those domains if malware somehow does get onto your hosts so they can't phone home.

• Like 1

that's a good idea. that's also a helpful way to subvert attempts by software to check that they are genuine.

is there anywhere with a good list of good-for-nothing domains?

Perhaps a tiny bit off-topic, but Facebook just asked me if I knew someone who I haven't been in touch with for years, (pre-Facebook as I remember) isn't in my email address book, phonebook or anything, and has never had any contact with any of my friends or family. Ever.

WTF? The only thing I can think of is that she tagged me in a photo, but I can't remember having any taken. It was pretty brief!?

Perhaps a tiny bit off-topic, but Facebook just asked me if I knew someone who I haven't been in touch with for years, (pre-Facebook as I remember) isn't in my email address book, phonebook or anything, and has never had any contact with any of my friends or family. Ever.

WTF? The only thing I can think of is that she tagged me in a photo, but I can't remember having any taken. It was pretty brief!?

or that person looked at your profile and it recommended them to you

yqmbb6f.gif

• Like 4

Facebook can run some pretty crafty profiling - basically any information you give them (or that you just post on your wall or whatever), they will use to try and find people you might know. Of course what they also do with this information is sell it to the highest bidder. They're basically the devil incarnate when it comes to privacy, and I'd say anybody with an interest in "keeping off the radar" would do well to start by deleting their Facebook account. It's a double-edged sword I guess, in that social networking can help in activism and protest and things like that, but otherwise it's just a massive, blatant privacy leak and time-sink. I'd suggest to keep it anonymous, under a fake name with no real info and no photos of you if you're going to use it.

I'd be happy if the unthinking masses started thinking just a little and decided to migrate to something open-source and ethically run like Diaspora. But that's never going to happen. Facebook is so ridiculously entrenched in the lives and minds of our culture now.

HI gtarman, I think bigred has run closest to describing what might have happened. The girl in question has nothing to do with my life in any way other than I happen to have met her in the past. As far as deleting your account goes, I don't believe it. I already did that and when I decided to sign up again my profile address is myfirstname.myfirstname1 and my name is unique enough for me to be one of two people on the planet with it - the other being my dad, and he's not on Facebook. So I know my original profile exists somewhere. What I have done is never post pics of me up and tag them, because the reason I deleted my first account was that I was being tagged all over the shop and I couldn't keep up with removing them. Cool (or legal enough) stuff for social purposes, but once going for government jobs I didn't want any shit to be held against me, even if legal. I may have pics up, but the algorithms don't know who it is because my face isn't on my profile. At least publicly. Privately (as in, if an investigative agency or government were to hack the system and run a search for photos matching my face on the database) I doubt this is the case.

Nowadays it is considered passing strange NOT to have an account, so I use mine to distribute online petitions, interesting talks and news articles about things I tend to disagree strongly with, so it has it's uses. Personally, I believe that Facebook and Google have direct links to NSA and by extension the other domestic spy systems in the West, I find this a cause of huge concern for the future, especially since the UK-Australia-US-Canada axis ALL have governments prone to police state activity. I'm loud online, but otherwise my physical activity is rather tame so "I've nothing to fear" unless I decide to take up motorcycle riding and move to Queensland (not so LOL). Or even drumming :o .

It IS possible the girl in question was linked to my original Facebook account, I lose track of time, but if so it only goes to prove that either bigred's rather tame (and odd, rather, as we haven't had contact in so long and it wasn't much more than a passing friendship) explanation is correct, or that my old "hidden" account is still active on a non-public level. Who knows? How can I find out? I don't know, but it is a reminder to be ultra-cautious about these things.

• Like 1

Do you have a static or dynamic IP address ?

You can find out by going to an online "what's my IP address" site in one instance of a web browser and then opening another bowser and going to the same site. If the IP address is static it will be the same address in both browsers.

If it's a static IP address they could easily conclude both accounts were yours (if you are still using the same ISP)

Also there's some serious work being done lately with tracking systems that don't rely on cookies. Advertising companies are realising cookies are becoming redundant with people blocking them and deleting them ect so the biggest advertising company on the planet (google) is investing a fortune in alternative tracking methods that don't rely on cookies.

Enter the D-Wave - Skynet is becoming self aware :devil:

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

HI gtarman, I think bigred has run closest to describing what might have happened. The girl in question has nothing to do with my life in any way other than I happen to have met her in the past. As far as deleting your account goes, I don't believe it. I already did that and when I decided to sign up again my profile address is myfirstname.myfirstname1 and my name is unique enough for me to be one of two people on the planet with it - the other being my dad, and he's not on Facebook. So I know my original profile exists somewhere. What I have done is never post pics of me up and tag them, because the reason I deleted my first account was that I was being tagged all over the shop and I couldn't keep up with removing them. Cool (or legal enough) stuff for social purposes, but once going for government jobs I didn't want any shit to be held against me, even if legal. I may have pics up, but the algorithms don't know who it is because my face isn't on my profile. At least publicly. Privately (as in, if an investigative agency or government were to hack the system and run a search for photos matching my face on the database) I doubt this is the case.

Nowadays it is considered passing strange NOT to have an account, so I use mine to distribute online petitions, interesting talks and news articles about things I tend to disagree strongly with, so it has it's uses. Personally, I believe that Facebook and Google have direct links to NSA and by extension the other domestic spy systems in the West, I find this a cause of huge concern for the future, especially since the UK-Australia-US-Canada axis ALL have governments prone to police state activity. I'm loud online, but otherwise my physical activity is rather tame so "I've nothing to fear" unless I decide to take up motorcycle riding and move to Queensland (not so LOL). Or even drumming :o .

It IS possible the girl in question was linked to my original Facebook account, I lose track of time, but if so it only goes to prove that either bigred's rather tame (and odd, rather, as we haven't had contact in so long and it wasn't much more than a passing friendship) explanation is correct, or that my old "hidden" account is still active on a non-public level. Who knows? How can I find out? I don't know, but it is a reminder to be ultra-cautious about these things.

Yeah Red's explanation probably is the most likely. And I don't think we disagree about Facebook on the whole, we're just expressing the same view in different ways.

Like I said, there are some definite upsides to having one, and you need not connect yourself to it too much (although, if you're going to still have people you know IRL as friends/connections the anonymity is still essentially compromised). Although I think the fact that it has generally become a weird thing not to have a Facebook is kinda stupid and sheep-think.

Basically what I'm saying is the most private and secure option is to delete your account and not have/use Facebook at all. I wouldn't believe for a second that your information isn't still stored in an archival database somewhere after deleting it. But at least it won't still be online, and you won't be giving them any more to store and/or abuse.

I also think you're right that Google and Facebook and all these big web services do pass on info to the big police states - sometime because it's in their financial interest to do so, and other times because the police state backs them into secret legal corners and forces them to.

There is indeed a war being waged online, although most casual internet users know nothing about it. The real war for freedom.

Edited by gtarman

I was provided a home address in a trade via this link

https://privnote.com/#destroyed

Most of you I'm sure are aware of these.............you put a message on ...........activate......copy the link and paste it on your email/message.............then when the person opens the link they see your message............and then it is auto-destruct.

1. Create a note and get a link
  2. Copy the link and send it to whom you want to read the note
  3. The note will self-destruct after being read

so if you don't wish to have your address hanging about in a box..............

(I often wonder who funds all these things?)

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

Here's a link to an SSL uncensored search engine that doesn't rely on javascript for all those times you don't want google or yahoo to know what's going on. It seems safe search is on by default with recent browsers and finding info on turning it off & use html (non javascript) can be a hassle.

https://duckduckgo.com/html%26kp%3D-1&kp=-1

• Like 2

I'm not suggesting it will keep big brother out. It will stop your isp reading what you send in plain text though..

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting it will keep big brother out. It will stop your isp reading what you send in plain text though..

I use Duck..................most of the time.....................if nothing else its an alternative and hopefully if enough people chose alternatives it will send a hard financial message to them bustards....................

Its set as my default on firefox................still haven't got around to using tor and a windows alternative.............

Edited by Dreamwalker

duck has become as natural as google for me now, i'm not sure how it compares on the whole but i search lots of different things and it hasn't led me astray. i like how it displays some of the results (wiki entries get their own preview box) and the firefox addon makes it easy to do, for example, a google image search via duck.

Yeah the duck is OK most of the time, it has failed me a few times though, other times it's come up with better results than google.

If you install DDG as an add on it's a very simple to turn off safe search, you can either save your settings on the cloud or do it temporarily. To do that requires javascript, so if you block java then you don't see those options and can't turn safe search off. It's a bit of a catch 22.

That's why I posted the link.

I don't save history or bookmarks ect, so I set it as my homepage and then set the preferences to show a blank page on startup. That way I can click the home button and go straight to a non- java uncensored duck search.

Do any sabers get into open source internet I want to eventually set up a tower and offer free net.

But dont really know how i would go about building it . I have free energy (solar) so would be cool to

run a free net service your advice would be appreciated .