The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

Urine as a fertilizer...

Cool link

Nitrogen is about the only thing that plants don't absorb through their leaves ( or we wouldn't even need to fertilize them) and I agree that diluted is definitely a good idea or else it may burn leaves.

I usually just take a piss on whatever tree is in active growth and then come back with the watering can and wash away all the evidence :) some people prefer to pee into a specially designated watering can and do the rounds with that. It's a great use of resources and both boys and girls can partake in the fun, but the really funny thing is that girls still have to do it sitting down... -trust me, you'll laugh when you see it :)

Good ferts when diluted.

I collect mine in a 4 liter iced tea jug :P

Mixes well with liquid from fermenting weeds and veggie scraps in water.

One thing I've found useful is to cut the top off a gallon milk jug and drill a 1/16" hole on a corner nearly on the bottom. Pour the ferts in there and it slowly pisses it out, allowing it to soak in deeper feeding just one or a couple plants.

And it supplies a added reason to go easy on the dietary salt.

Waste piss down the toilet never! Diluted 1 part urine to ten parts water there's no fear it will cause burning.

Would pissing in your compost pile be a good idea?

Yeah nitrogen is a great compost activator

• Like 2

not too long I watched a program, and the design of the building, incorporated collecting all the urine, as they said, the world is running out of phosphate.

at the time around napoleon, there were laws in place, saying you had to give your urine to the king, which his chemist needed for war fare.

phosphor was discovered, by extracting urine...

I fert with urine, we all should.

The Romans used to collect it and use it to whiten their robes.

The Fullers would walk around all day in troughs of stale stinking piss stomping the robes into the piss. It turns out stale piss makes a good whitener because of the ammonia in it.

I put urine on my favourite Acacias, but I only use piss that I collect when I'm in a really good mood. I don't want the trees to get any negative vibes - just in case :wink:

I always pee on the fruit trees at night when Im watering everything else... it just feels so natural

and plus im always in a good mood when im watering plants

but I try and avoid peeing on the trees, when I've eaten poorly that day, like sausage links lol

or too much salt or any meds but really that only constitutes maybe the occasional aspirin, which

may even be fortifying my piss with a rooting hormone...

I need to think this through

the dogs sure like to pee on the plants.. I just wish there was a way to keep them off the pots

anyone know if dog piss has the parasite concerns posed by dog shit?

I just don't wanna get parasites in my food crops, I already have neighbors with aerobic septic tanks that

spray their crap everywhere.. really not a problem until the wind blows that direction, got a whiff the other day and

nearly had an asthma attack ... yuck

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 1

There was a post fairly recently, I can't remember if it was me that instigated it or someone else about Vitamins being taken up by plants. It went into the pore size of the roots and that they're not big enough to let big molecules in, it's possible some human medicine metabolites may not be able to be taken up by the plants anyway? Just a theory... someone here would know the answer though, I just wish I could remember which thread it was... I pee in my pots, but generally just splash it about so no one pot gets a lot - never really considered my mood at the time though, generally when I'm peeing I'm pretty happy anyway :)

Plant roots actively transport large molecules.

B12 is a great example, only a protein scientist would call that small and plants intentionally absorb it via their roots and transport it to specific parts of the plant.

A few drugs may produce metabolites harmful enough to not want them in your families food, others may be hormonally active in plants as well. I've wondered about the widespread new fad of using naproxen as a pain killer and its effects on other life (its a lipoxygenase inhibitor that, in plants, breaks the abscisic acid biosynthetic pathway)

• Like 1

menstrual blood is a good fertilizer. my girlfriend uses a moon cup to collect it and we mix it up with water and put it on heaps of stuff.

• Like 2

menstrual blood is a good fertilizer. my girlfriend uses a moon cup to collect it and we mix it up with water and put it on heaps of stuff.

I can't see it catching on.

I bet the plants grow fast after that, if I was a plant & someone tipped that on me I reckon I'd jump out the ground.

• Like 2

never would have thought of that!

I wonder if tobacco mosaic virus can be transmitted through urine?