The Corroboree
toast

Experiemental Aizoaceae bioassays anyone?

I was propagating a bunch of less common species from the Aizoaceae family and figured that I'd save some material to prepare for bioassay. While most or all of these plants have been sampled at various times in the past, no records were kept so no data regarding their activity is available at Wandjina.

post-902-0-23628300-1376027500_thumb.jpg

The Aizoaceae family contains several known psychoactive species including Sceletium spp., Delosperma spp. & Rabiea albinota to name a few, and its members are rich in mesembrine and related alkaloids.

I have saved material, mainly leaves but also some stem, of the following species: Cheiridopsis spp., Faucaria spp., Glottiphyllum neilli, Mesembryanthemum sp., Pleiospilos compactus ssp. fergusonii, Rabiea difformis & Titanopsis calcarea. This has been fermented in its own juices for about a week and a half and is currently being dried out, and will then be ground up & put through a 80 micron sieve, with the fine powder being offered as snuff material & the coarser for smoking. Material from each species has been labeled and kept separate from each other throughout the preparation process.

So I am looking for at least 6 people that are interested in sampling a range of these (probably 5 species per person), hopefully including at least 3 smokers. In return, I'm after some proper bioassay data including amount consumed, consumption route and a timeline describing any effects experienced, as well as approximate body weight. It is important that no other psychoactive substances are consumed at the time of the bioassay, and when smoking only relatively inert herbs should be mixed with the provided material, such as tobacco. Bioassays should be posted here for all to enjoy, as we will eventually be selling these species.

Please note that these plants should not be combined with SSRIs, MAOIs or cardiac medications, and Wandjina does not take any responsibility for any side effects experienced. It is expected that oxalic acid would be the only undesirable chemical present and that the preparation process would have eliminated most if not all of it.

So post in this thread if you are interested in participating, and if you are a smoker or not.

Also include something to show your enthusiasm, in case I get lots of interest, something funny like a stupid poem or a photo or something. Even just a blurb about own keen you are. I'll pick the members in a fortnight.

Thanks guys :wink:

DSCN0829 (Large).JPG

DSCN0829 (Large).JPG

• Like 2

Hey toast,

I would be very happy to help. I am also a smoker & take great pride in keeping records/data for my garden & anything I bioassay :wink:.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: PLEASE LET ME PARTAKE :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Cheers

Jox

• Like 3

im pretty keen, im not a full blown smoker but i smoke everyday at work

Edited by quarterflesh
  • Like 1

may I suggest you add samples of aptenia cordifolia to the trial as well.

I have it from a good source aptenia is active, and I am sure you have some at wandjina.

• Like 2

Great to see some interest.

may I suggest you add samples of aptenia cordifolia to the trial as well.

I have it from a good source aptenia is active, and I am sure you have some at wandjina.

Will do PH, good idea.

I have also heard its active but haven't investigated it myself.

I'll see what else I can dig up too

• Like 1

There is an Aptenia thread around here somewhere- I think it has a similar all profile to Sceletium, but is about 1/8th the strength.

I'd be keen to see how the Faucaria goes as I have a decent sized Tiger Jaws (F tigrina?)

Hey mate i would be keen as to help with bioassaying if you still need some more people :)

Lampranthus are already flowering but the Delosperma sp are just coming into flower.

DSCF2001_zpse902d0f6.jpg

DSCF2005_zps93352594.jpg

DSCF2006_zps8d46abae.jpg

• Like 7

Ok great.

I'll send some samples out to everyone that has expressed interest when they are ready.

Please PM me your address if you haven't already done so.

There should be enough material for a few more people if anyone else is keen

Just drying the final batches of material.

Hope to have it ready for posting in a week or so.

Should be enough for another couple of people if anyone else is keen.

Please PM me your postage address if you haven't yet.

Thanks

I'm sorting out the material, it will be sent out on Monday.

Can anyone that expressed interest in receiving some please PM me their address.

thanks

Nice one Toast. 6 days late - I'm happy to give a hand if testing is still open. Non smoker, and wouldn't myself consider tobacco to be a "relatively inert herb" myself. Could possibly layer with Mullein..?

Keen to hear reports back on this one.

Just received my package yesterday arvo and will start doing some experimentation this weekend. Will post results either then or early on the Monday :)

Picked up my packet this morning and I will bio assay tonight. Thanks hear for the opportunity.

So far I've only had the time to bioassay one of the smoking samples sent over the weekend (Mainly due to wanting to play GTA5 :innocent_n: ). I will continue to bioassay the other samples (Smoking/Snuffing) this week.

Approximate Body Wieght: 60kg

Material: Delosperma spp. Bosseranum

Route of Administration: Smoked

Amount Consumed: 25mg approx.

Time of consumption: 4:30pm

t+0:00 one small 12.5mg approx. cone was smoked with little effetcs.

t+0:01 a second 12.5mg appox. cone was then smoked and at this stage a metallic taste was noted on the tongue.

t+0:10 metallic taste is still present as well as a pins and needles like feeling through out the body (unlike pins and needles this feeling never got or felt uncomfortable)

t+0:15 metallic taste is starting to fade along with the pins and needles like feeling.though still present.

t+0:30 all effects have subsided

pyrolising is not a good method with kanna like materials,

sublingual (1 to 3g), is better, imho.

once it get's too strong, take the quid out of the mouth, once you feel "confident again", put the quid into the mouth again. a single quid can last you 1h or more... :)

• Like 2

Just a note that I find 5g of oral Kanna very mild.

Material: Delosperma spp. bosseranum

Route of Administration: Smoked, Snuffed & held in mouth for 20min

Amount Consumed: 1.5g (500mg powdered/1g chopped)

Time of consumption: 7:30pm

t+0:00 200mg of powdered snuffed which burnt the nose, 300mg smoked with tobacco thu pipe (very harsh), 1g chewed & let sit in mouth.

t+0:30 no effects noted yet (was expecting effects sooner, like kanna)

t+0:50 moderate feeling of relaxation/contentment, similar to kanna but more relaxing, clear head.

t+1:00 feeling of contentment slightly increased & also some mild euphoria & head still clear, colours brighter than normal.

t+1:30 euphoria subsided but calm content feeling still present & clarity of thought, also no craving for desert

t+2:00 can still feel a background buzz & colours still more vivid than usual.

t+3:00 back to baseline

Smoking Delosperma I found to be very harsh & I do not have a sensitive throat, snuffing burns quite a lot. Chewing seems to be the best method for me & now I am very interested in trying 3-5grams of D. bosseranum

• Like 1

I am growing a lot of rare mesembs and I am particularly interested in Cheiridopsis and Faucaria. Could you recommend some species that might be worth pursuing?