The Corroboree
Bigred

Cannabis Australis ?

Was hoping if anyone knew anything about Cannabis Australis as i had never even heard about it

till a friend in california mentioned it

So any Sabers know anything would be a great help . ( links papers etc)

• Like 1

I think its a sub species of Sativa?
IIRC its more a colloquial name than one that is based on fact?

ABC is polyploid sativa?

Yes I think that was it, the Hunter strain was labeled Australis.

Lots of folk lore around about Ducks Foot, ABC etc. ABC was the name some US guys gave the strain after grabbing some cuts/seeds from a trip to NNSW.

I was lucky enough to see some plants many years ago and they do look quite different while in early veg but once they started flowering it was pretty obvious what they are. as is the case with all the 'stealth' plants Ive seen.

The Dr.Grinspoon strain looks promising, if it was trained out I think I could walk past one and not jerry,

I dont know anyone thats actually grown it though, as it used to be very hard to find but now BF sell it.

Low yields but its meant to give a strong Sativa buzz.

Dr.GS x Lowryder x ABC, now that would be interesting.

God I wish we could grow MMJ already, the levels of irony and jealousy that flow between Aus and the USA everyday are killing me.

post-824-0-31551200-1375926234_thumb.jpg

post-824-0-53040600-1375926237_thumb.jpg

post-824-0-66340900-1375926238_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 6

Wow very interesting i've never heard anything about this mj growing wild in oz :blink:

as far as i know there has been next to no wild cannabis in the hunter valley since the 70's at the latest.. could be wrong.. but i don't think so

i've found plants in bush around sydney that were clearly wild growing weeds & not cultivated, though it seemed obvious they were from dropped bag seed from someone 's sesh in the bush & not a naturalized, self perpetuating population

edit: cool to hear you've actually found some dood, i've always wondered but never found any myself..

Edited by paradox

Ive heard similar things Paradox.

IIRC KOG spoke about the Hunter Vally strain when he did his talk at the last Ethnobotanica.

He said they were the origins behind the popular 'old Mother Sativa' strain that is grown all around NNSW and produces trees with ridiculous yields.

If you go back before that again, I'd say that the Hunter strains originated from some imported Thai stick.
I think there was suggestion that it probably came from some US military that were doing operations in the vally or were on service leave or something.

• Like 1

cool history in here,

so andyamine your suggesting this was well after the known gold rush plants introduced, very interesting

Old Mother Sativa

post-824-0-66411600-1375946995_thumb.jpg

Ive seen other photos of them x2 as big,

There is a guy on the forum thats making a doco about the strain as well as Mullumbimby Madness (synonymous?) He was saying that growing huge tree's like that was the game back in the day but with the introduction of choppers they had to change grow styles.

I dont usualy like watching pot docos because it makes me mad that I cant smoke or grow all the wonderful stains available O/S these days but Im really looking forward to seeing this one when its finished.

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 14

Hemp fiber quality sativa yes, they grew heaps of it but it was no good for buds.

There are a couple going in Aus at the moment, from what I was told the last one around NNSW was fucked up because the authorities found some drug strains growing in amongst the hemp fiber strains, so they were closed down,.

The guy probably thought it was genius to begin with, growing amongst the hemp but he put the project back years.,

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 2

Ive heard similar things Paradox.

IIRC KOG spoke about the Hunter Vally strain when he did his talk at the last Ethnobotanica.

He said they were the origins behind the popular 'old Mother Sativa' strain that is grown all around NNSW and produces trees with ridiculous yields.

If you go back before that again, I'd say that the Hunter strains originated from some imported Thai stick.

I think there was suggestion that it probably came from some US military that were doing operations in the vally or were on service leave or something.

A lot of the seeds I've seen grown out from Thai sticks never grew plants anywhere near that stature. They were certainly in the genetic soup of the Hunter Valley Sativa though.

My understanding was the heritage of many of the earlier monster sized plants was Hawaiian. I know a few old surfers that were part of the culture in the sixties and they had brought back Hawaiian seed.

Some of the Sativas like the one shown above would live for 2 or 3 years so they could be back crossed to fix traits, this was back in the day when there was a common mis-conception that MJ would not grow from cuttings, so back crossing was almost never done otherwise. So anyone who went to year 10 at high school had the info needed (Mendelian genetics) to breed very desirable plants in a relatively short time.

Folklore in the Hunter valley also suggests that a Chinese hemp farm operated near Rutherford. Most of the plants were for fiber but I've also heard (many times) that the Chinese farmers also had medicinal strains growing so some of those genetics could have ended up in the mix. This last paragraph is all hearsay and speculation though, so take it with a grain of salt. I can't find anything online about a hemp farm at Rutherford.

• Like 2

I imagine that these guys had a pretty large gene pool and a huge choice of phenotypes to choose from.
No doubt there were some monsters to be found amongst them.

This is from the OMS description.

Kog has been growing Old Mother Sativa in Australia for the past 18 years. It is a very hardy plant, able to withstand severe drought and spring back when water is provided by the grower or mother nature. It also shows resistance to frost in the flowering phase. Selectively bred to be a humongous outdoor plant, Old Mother Sativa is well acclimatized to the Australian climate, at 30 degrees latitude S and low elevation.

Suspected to have Southeast Asian roots, this plant was popular among hippies of Australia in the heyday, especially around the Hunter Valley region where it thrived in the 1960s. Old Mother Sativa has a long growing season, and gives best results under full sun, planted in well-drained soil. The root system for this plant tends to be wide and shallow rather than deep, making hilltops and sandy soils along riverbanks super locations for planting. She can reach heights of 15 feet if given a long growing season over Australia’s summer. In a short season, over winter, with less sunshine and warmth, she may remain at a foot tall and produce only about an ounce per plant.

In the wrong environment, or the hands of the inexperienced, this strain can produce a disappointing yield but allowed to grow to her mega-proportions, Old Mother can deliver a primeval harvest of up to 5 pounds.The smoke from this plant is delicious, mellow, and fun, perfect for a sweet silly time with friends. The clarity of this pure sativa will not leave you dozing off or locked to the couch. This plant is easy to clone and may develop purple coloring in cooler growing conditions.

• Like 3

This has really caught my interest been doing a bit of looking around and came across this PDF wich is rather interesting

Thought I'd post it up for anyone else who might wanna check it out page 33 he starts to go into the hunter valley crop

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/15949/1/John_Jiggens_Thesis.pdf

• Like 6

Thanks for that Myco ^

Obviously the Author of that thesis has a somewhat biased perspective on the subject, but he does present a good case in an entertaining style.

It's a good depiction of how things really work wherever there is American interference and the associated corruption that comes with it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys the subject i think still needs more investigation as there is a lot of stories so here is mine

back in the day there were a group of surfers/students from the states one a agriculturalist

The dream was to get work and travel the coast in the hunt for waves and girls mainly girls

As luck would have it the surfers got a job spraying and destroying the wild cannabis.

So the boys got to chop down some plants and probably kept a few buds on the side

But the agriculturalist kept seeds and went back to the states and grew pot on the side

Knowing a thing or two about strains he would cross breed his seeds over the years

the strains mutated but the heritage is still there. As luck would have it he now lives

in California making medicine for the sick. He has a cross of that strain but there

were many phenotypes/traits there. Loads he reckons but mostly of a sativa hemp

origin. but on the off chance of seeing a Indian variety they had a very high resinous buds

which is the variety he kept .

His son always bugs me about the story saying

i should just go to the site and get photo's stories etc as he has some of the genetics

but would love a better informed idea of how it all started. As you dont get that many

different breeds in a infestation.

• Like 1

jlxs.jpg

sorry its such a small pic, its been awhile! Apparently ABC strain, ended up being male and my mate did nothing with it, no X breeding despite my efforts to persuade him, Was a small plant and never grew the typical serrated leaf, looked more like basil than cannabis.

• Like 3