The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Brachychiton acerifolius

I was recently given a decent amount of Brachychiton acerifolius - Illawara Flame Tree seed. I'm going to raise some seedlings to give away and plant around as I think it's an awesome tree in it's own right. Depending on how much I get out of the pods I might give away some of the seed as well.

Can this Brachychiton can be used a coffee substitute the same as others in this genus such as the Norther kurrajong? I've seen a few mentions of the seeds being used this way or being edible after roasting, but not enough to make me keen to try it.

• Like 1

Hi Mate, I just googled 'edible Brachychiton seeds' in pages from Australia and came up with heaps of reports of the edibility of Brachychiton acerifolius seeds. When roasted the seeds are eaten as snacks like peanuts or ground into a coffee substitute. The roots are also reported to be edible.

I have no idea what the 'coffee' tastes like but the seeds do contain caffeine as do other members of the Sterculiaceae family i.e. Cola spp. and Theobroma spp.

Give 'em a go.

There are heaps of Brachychiton of both species in NZ as well. I'll look around for some pods and experiment.... Always interested in new bush foods / herbs