The Corroboree
whitewind

NEW SHPONGLE ALBUM!!!

OH MY GAAAWD!!!

The new Shpongle album out now! I had no idea!

It's gonna fuck with me for weeks before I realise just how awesome it really is and enters my consciousness for all eternity

This is so exciting it's worthy of News and Notices by itself!

Just heard this track and it sounds like Shpongle at the top of their game

I nearly pissed myself (and pissed of the neighbours with the noise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MLCc6j0gj8E

• Like 3

Oh yes and Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who

The Universe has finally regained credibility

Im going to admit straight up that i was really disappointed with the new Shpongle album...

• Like 1

Hey Obtuse,

already I can tell it's heaps better than Ineffable Mysteries which I still haven't listened to fully yet. Yeah, I'm not sure it's as smooth and layered as the older stuff, but it's still pretty good.

This is glorious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FGXPuIyX7BY

In both cases the last two tracks are the best.

I enjoyed how they have tipped their hats to pink floyd in the last track of the new album.

I dunno Obtuse, I'm finding every track really accessible, and a lot of it is really enjoyable. I couldn't and still can't handle Ineffable Mysteries, it just never worked for me. I love the live versions on youtube though, where the show is so organic and beautifully put together. Something about flutes and beautiful female voices...

I dunno Obtuse, I'm finding every track really accessible, and a lot of it is really enjoyable. I couldn't and still can't handle Ineffable Mysteries, it just never worked for me. I love the live versions on youtube though, where the show is so organic and beautifully put together. Something about flutes and beautiful female voices...

yeah i agree, see some of those songs live they are so much better.

I'm really keen to see how they fit these new tracks intot he live show especially the last two. I found ineffab le mysteries a bit disappointing too. But in a different way. These new tracks just feel like they are missing some layers is all - but in a wierd kind of way they feel like a return to really gently hallucinogen.

yeah i agree, see some of those songs live they are so much better.

I'm really keen to see how they fit these new tracks intot he live show especially the last two. I found ineffab le mysteries a bit disappointing too. But in a different way. These new tracks just feel like they are missing some layers is all - but in a wierd kind of way they feel like a return to really gently hallucinogen.

Pretty much what I was thinking, about the missing layers and return to hallucinogen, which was a style I didn't really like - too hard. Liked the Ott remixes though.. all that dub stuff.

The other three tracks aren't quite so good, but I do like the first one as an intro. I'm going to have to give it a rest, but I'm looking forward to listening to it start to finish - apart from being great music, that's how my two favourite albums - Tales of the Inexpressible and Are you Shpongled? work best for me, just going where the music takes me.

really hope they tour oz!

that time at the enmore was propper magic, id agree its way better live

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios
  • Like 1

It was a bit off-putting being behind u whilst u where rubbing up your mrs through the whole gig

Somebody had to much md.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 2

wow, this album is crap.

sorry shpongle but the moment has passed, about 15 years ago..

they've just used a lot of the same samples, synths, performers, instruments & tricks & techniques as all their other albums but just hundreds of times crapper..

maybe they would be much better live as people say.. maybe i'm just really cynical about the psy scene these days. i've been to the odd outdoor party in recent times that were pretty awesome but damn i've been to some shit house indoor urban gigs, gawd... like opuio a few months ago, i was looking forward to it as people rave about how good he is, but damn was that a shit gig.. i just can't relate to what seems like some psy rock star trip that guys on.. frankly i found his tunes predictable, uninteresting & quite crap to dance to..

then again maybe i'm just put off by indoor psy parties with sniffer dogs at the door, dancing on a hard surface surrounded by pilled up guido's & being eyed off by incredibly obvious undercover D's all night. oh & at one point catching some seedy looking cunt trying to force feed my girlfriend random drug cocktails.. is the first time i've ever come even close to a fight at a psy party & the only reason i didn't repeatedly bash his head into the floor was cause i didn't want to ruin peoples night with violence.. it really took some discipline let me tell you

anyway, sorry for the negative spin & all but hey

• Like 2

Enmore theatre stinks.

i'm impressed by the track title "ticklimg the amygdala". This is something you can literally do with the right technique and enough focus and practise... Surprise surprise, at least one member of the group is a genuine explorer of the mind and the squishy flesh it lives in.

Enmore is awesome! My fav venue! Saw shpongle and puscifer there and both where great :)

Opuio is shit!

I know what you mean about the psy rock star trip bullshit. I can't seeing people indulging their egos in such a grotesque fashion... And all those hipsters lappin it up like theres no tomorrow.

I havent listened to this new sphongle album, but they do have a special little place in my heart.. Despite the fact that my parents probably listened to them.

Edited by bogfrog

yeah they have a special place in my heart too.. these days it's purely nostalgic though. i used to make love listening to their early stuff when i first fell in love hehe.. when it was fresh to my ears their sounds were almost transcendentally beautiful & stirred some deeply familiar yet extremely alien feelings. this album just sounds tired & somewhat pretentious, not in an egotistic way but more in just a self conscious & forced kind of way. The beauty of their older stuff was that it seemed truly inspired & communicated such a direct experience of something extremely profound & ephemeral.

Any band or artist has ups & downs.. but to me it kind of sounds like a couple of old blokes trying to recapture a moment thats well & truly passed.. good on em for havin a crack though, unfortunately this ones a fail IMO. Or maybe it's just me thats changed..

To me the new album sounded forced. Like it was a bunch of ideas Posford has had but too tired to pursue to their emotional conclusions, just feels liek so much is missing.

He probably needs a few years off, doing other things to rediscover the roots of his ideas.

Re: the rock star stuff, when i first got into psytrance, the djs and artists did their thing behind the scenes, in a tent etc and couldnt be seen, was about the music. it feels wierd now how artists are back up on a stage, how did that happen?

In the live shpongle shows you could see Postford enjoying the limelight, bit of a pity really. raja ram always did its seems anyway.

• Like 1

Whaaaa? Good on posford for enjoying what he does!! I love going to a gig and seeing artists blissing out in their creation :)

New album sounds great!!

Killjoys every last one of ya! ;) lighten up!

yeah dont mean to be a killjoy. I guess your right i shouldnt be so cynical.

I've seen two sides of the Posford live experience, him being really into it, being really creative and spontaneous, a pleasure to behold, watching an artist at work at his best, blissing out. as you say Incognito its an awesome thing to see. I just felt that a little too much ego had crept into the shpongle shows.... a little more than was necessary, but still an amazing experience.

Edited by obtuse

Maybee he had gotten past the psychadelic ego INFLATION and decided what the hell I'm just gonna go out and have some fun!

So many people that use psychedelics to through a period of head up their assedness, a feeling of superiority to the rest of the population like they have been chosen to share in some divine secret. Sooner or later they fall on their ass and realise they are just the same as everyone else (hopefully)

What I saw in shpongle live was posford having a shitload of fun alongside the rest of the shpongle gang. I'm gonna give the album a few more listens before I fully make up my mind but I like what I hear so far. Haven't been listening to much music the last few years- need to get back amongst it :)

• Like 1

i prolly do need to lighten up but i doubt that will stop it being crap (to me)

• Like 1

about the rock star thing again, i probably am cynical but to me an integral part of the psytrance experience (& some other electronic dance music styles) is the journey aspect to it. a large part of the artistry imo is the ability to take people on that journey. i like to close my eyes for an hour or more at a time & let it take me away. this is really difficult when after each track the artist stops & starts yelling pointless things out & pumping up the crowd while they scream like psychotic teeny boppers at a beetles concert..

probably i'm a kill joy, it's just annoying cause that journey aspect is the main thing that makes psytrance interesting for me. i wouldn't listen to it the way i would listen to other styles of music where each song can be appreciated entirely on it's own merit as single creative statement to be enjoyed by itself. i mean there can certainly be that aspect to psytrance tracks but it's not the main point..

it's not about delusions of superiority or anything, just for me the beauty of that form of music is it can provide a space thats conducive to deep internal meditation in dance. rock stars & ego's just get in the way of that for me & so it diminishes the main aspect of the thing that i like about it..

but damn, i don't have any problem with an artist blissing out in the moment & getting the most out of what they do

• Like 2