The Corroboree
Leaves

Cestrum parqui - anyone experienced?

Since this plant is dominating the east coast of Australia, has anyone tried some? I don't think consuming anything from this plant orally would be very safe unless you had good knowledge and experience. It smells similar to Brugmasia so I am guessing its around the same toxicity and regular use could lead to unpredictable side effects or death. Still, I am interested because it is a noxious weed. Does anyone know if the chemicals in this plant are toxic to insects? Cestrum rarely has any insect damage on it so its either toxic or it just tastes terrible to bugs.

not sure what the smell would have to do with the alkaloids in the plant?!? This species is a pretty bad weed on my ex's place so might try it in summer when it is actively growing.

Well Solanaceae generally have that potato leaf smell, and Cestrum is reported active so I am guess Tropane alkaloids. Maybe I rely on my smell too much, but I think there is more to many plants activity than just the alkaloids. Also Torsten I have always relied on the smell of a plant or the taste and have often been self treating myself unknowingly, but still quite accurately.

Edited by Leaves

I'm not sure if this species of Cestrum has Tropanes... I've heard that it's very toxic to cows and other animals and also in humans. I could think that it has a similar effect like Amanita phaloides, within one day they report to have Hepatic diseases... I wouldn't try that if you were me :S In the other hand, here in my country it's said that Cestrum nocturnum is narcotic and the thing that they eat is the fruits.

All Cestrum are said to contain similar compounds but I don't know... I would think it twice also with C. nocturnum....

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yeah, quite toxic, but still I have read reports that is was smoked along with Cannabis. Brugmasia is very toxic and potency variation makes it even more dangerous but I have still enjoyed it on occasion (be careful after Brugmasia leaves drop, the young leaves feel around 10 times stronger.)

This is from Psychotropia -

Cestrum parqui Lheritier-Willow-leafed jessamine, palqui

Ritual Use
In southern Chile, this sacred plant is used in
shamanic healing activities. The plant possesses
the virtue or power known as contra, which resists
attacks by sorcerers or black shamans (tue-tue or
chonchones). Since illnesses are often produced by
other shamans, they can best be healed by a
shaman with the aid of palqui. The stems are used
to make wooden crosses that are attached to the
windows or outer walls of houses as a magical
protection against disease demons. A tea also
protects from susto ("fright") and mal de ojo ("evil
eye") and is drunk during purification ceremonies
(limpia) (Hoffmann et al. 1992, 172*).
The shamans of the Kamsa (Sibundoy,
Colombia) refer to one Cestrum species as
borrachero andoke. They press the leaves of the
plant in water and drink the resulting solution so
that they can see things as if under the influence of
ayahuasca (Schultes and Raffauf 1991, 36*).

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 1

Well... the ritual use of the plants is another thing haha

When a plant is used in a ritualistic way, the one that is using it knows how to talk with the 'Spirit' of the plant, so the 'Spirit' doesn't play bad games with the user... But when the 'Spirit' is underestimated you can even die.

That's why the rituals exist and they are known by people who knows how to talk with the 'Spirit' of the plant.

I wouldn't try that smoked haha A lot of people says that smoking Solanaceaes or eating they're seeds turns out into going to hell... Also I know of someone that made a Brugmansia tea and two weeks later, when he came to his senses after trying to pickup a wooden bank, he was in Jail trying to pickup the cement bank haha

Better learn the rituals and how to talk with the plant so it'll be safe and the plant will help you ;)

• Like 1

Smoking datura & brugmasia are the only way I have used them. I find it easy get a accurate dosage that way and they numb the throat/relax the throat which I find useful for long rides on the push bike at night in the forestry. Dilates the pupils to for better night vision. Don't muck around (regular use) with that Brug's tho or it will kill you.

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 1

Had foaf who smoked some and it did nothing even with 10 grams smoked

Cestrum or brugmasia Jwerta? I can feel 0.1g of dried leaf of brugmasia, but have experienced off one pipe only complete cotton mouth & extreme sedation. This was with new shoots after leaves dropped, never again. 10grams of Brug's and I wouldn't be able to swallow at all because my throat would be completely numbed. I would be extremely unpleasant also.

Edited by Leaves

Cestrum.

Ok, thank your friend for taking the risk upon himself :)