The Corroboree
gtarman

Potent sedative plants...

Sounds cool, only problem is...

Best sown in woodlands it is probably impossible to grow in captivity.
Lacking chlorophyll and therefore the ability to produce sugars, it taps sugars and other nutrients from an underground fungal network which itself gets the sugars from an association with a nearby conifer.

:(

Where there is a will, there is a way! I will be speaking to some orchid guys I know soon, I find alot of orchid sites have the info on it. It's possible the conifer is already growing here in cultivation

^^ true...although I don't think I have quite that much will.

You could probably experiment even with just lacing the soil with simple sugars? Or add some kinda syrup to the watering can in a low dilution, like a fert or something..the roots might not discriminate against the source of the sugars? Maybe even mix in some kinda starch or something

Edited by gtarman

Try sleeping less, really sleep is over rated. Wake up early and make sure you get sunlight on your skin first thing in the morning to set your hormonal clock. If you are having trouble sleeping don't stress just relax in bed and make sure you get up early the next day and

have a full day. Try reading calculus or physics at bedtime, sends me right off in no time at all. Gentle excercise. Mental excercise.

There should be no problem missing one nights sleep every week. The idea that you absolutely need x hours sleep every night probably

causes more sleepless nights than any other factor.

^^ Thanks for the advice, but I'm not really interested in that sort of thing (and the insomnia has ceased being a problem - it turned out to be caffeine withdrawals).

I already know an absolute bucket-load of stuff in the lifestyle habits and nutrition sort of area to do with mental health and managing anxiety (and insomnia), and have read widely about it - but the thread isn't really about that...would welcome ideas on topic though if you have any.

PS. didn't mean to sound rude or abrupt - just gets a bit old with the implication that you "ought to do things naturally", or that "you just need to deal with things differently, drugs are not the answer". If you have an anxiety disorder or a sleeping problem, sedatives have their legitimate uses as much as any breathing exercise or dietary supplement or whatever - and in some situations they are preferable and more appropriate forms of treatment - and that's what I'm interested in/what the thread is about.

• Like 1

Well for herbs I would stay right away from valerian. I don't know who valerian works for but for me its like a mild sedative/ freaky dark dream herb. A herbal mix that works every time is whole chammomile boiled in half half water and milk.

The milk makes it a lot stronger.

• Like 1

yo gman, i tried 6 beers and 3 teaspoons of yan hu suo root tha other night fuk its soooo fuken bitter anywho i had a good nite sleep !! but i had a big day @ work??

Yeah haven't gotten round to the Corydalis yet..will have to try at some point.

@weedRampage: cool, I do find chamomile relaxing - but in a very mild way. Will try the milk suggestion and see if it potentiates things.

These are some plants the Aboriginals use -

Actites megalocarpa

This is a native thistle found on beach dunes, and may have been the thistle which was

"eaten raw to soothe pain and induce sleep".

Duboisia myoporoides (hyoscine etc)

Goodenia ovata (Hop Goodenia) - used for putting children to sleep on long trips

Scutellaria humilis - Australian Dwarf Skullcap - relaxing

Does anyone know the plant that looks quite like a Gum tree but is not and has sedative effects? I used to know it but have lost the info.

Also check out Gynostemma pentaphyllum - adaptogen/sooths nerves which I find Siberian ginseng does well also

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 2

Yeah, I do, but not regularly! Infact I find smoking Dubiosia m. to be some what different to Datura or Brug's. Very large pupils off a couple of pipes, very dreamy feeling. Not recommending anyone wrecklessly consume them tho :)

Edited by Leaves

^^ @Leaves I think by gumtree thing you may have been referring to this plant?

Does anybody know much about mixing things together? I was thinking maybe if I had the right way of mixing a couple of herbs in a certain combination that it would potentiate the effects and make it more useful.

For example isn't passionflower supposedly an MAOI? Could this be leveraged perhaps in combination with another herbal sedative to increase effects?

Gman, no it's not the bat wing coral tree, I have one of those. I thought the genus name started with G, the leaves looked very similar if not just like eucalyptus leaves. It was used by natives as a sedative.

Albizia suluensis from Sth Africa -

Bulb decoctions, which are toxic, are used in small

amounts as a hallucinogen to aid divination in South
Africa. Bulbs are also used as narcotics.
Unspecified groups use a weak decoction
of the bulb scales as a sedative for violent, psychotic
patients. Described as “rousing the spirits” in
Zimbabwe.
Chamaecrista mimosoides
Fabaceae
Common name unknown,
umbonisela/imbubu yotaboni
Root
Powdered root infusions are taken orally to
remember dreams, and the plant is also used
to induce sleep. South African diviners use
an emetic made from the roots to induce dreams of
the ancestors. “The Cassia genus contains a
number of substances that have sedative,
depressant, and toxic effects”.
Kung Bushmen may use Cassia species to facilitate
the induction of trance states (that are used for
divining)
Holy crabapple, there is lots of info in this document - africaninvertebrates.org/ojs/index.php/SAH/article/download/247/208

Yes, as Yeti101 points out thank you J. F. Sobiecki for you dedication to South African medicinal plants.

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 2

Holy crabapple, there is lots of info in this document - africaninvertebrates.org/ojs/index.php/SAH/article/download/247/208

Aha - J. F. Sobiecki strikes again! There is an earlier article by this same author as well as a bunch of other Africa - related stuff here: http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25171&p=266574

• Like 1

Scutellaria nana ssp. sapphrina is one little plant I forgot about that I really like for relaxing/evening herb.

It's amazing how many species of Scutellaria exist, here is a site that lists them A-Z http://scutellaria.awardspace.info/page2af.html

Good chance some little gems are still waiting to be discovered.

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 1

I don't know if it's obtainable in Oz, but Lady's Slipper (cypripedium pubescens), a native orchid in the US, works pretty well for me. It works well for others as well, and unfortunately it's almost become extinct in the wild due to over harvesting. Best to find a source of cultivated varieties. A quick web search will provide you with some options. Hard to find sometimes, but it works better for me than other traditional herbs that listed in the thread so far.

Edited by wophezuta

Just go easy here! You may as well eat brug or datura ;)

4 Strammonium seeds chewed well before sleep.

I'd suggest valarian in hefty doses is probably the closest to xanax I've found.

Kava does work but can actually inhibit norepinephrine reuptake which isn't exactly calming.

hops are good but can potently lower blood pressure which for me isn't helpful.

California poppies can be kinda xanaxy and a large dose of wild lettuce can be calming.

I find Rehnannia glutinosa and Eucommia bark to be interesting. Nit sure if its serotonic effects or beta blocking actions?

• Like 1

Geijera parviflora (Wilga or Native Willow) is the plant I was thinking of that has sedative effects but it doesn't look like a Gum tree, more like a wattle - The leaves are infused in water and drunk to alleviate pain. The raw leaves were chewed to treat toothache. The dried and crumbled leaves were smoked in conjunction with other species and produce drowsiness. They have been use ceremonially.

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 2

Geijera parviflora (Wilga or Native Willow) is the plant I was thinking of that has sedative effects but it doesn't look like a Gum tree, more like a wattle - The leaves are infused in water and drunk to alleviate pain. The raw leaves were chewed to treat toothache. The dried and crumbled leaves were smoked in conjunction with other species and produce drowsiness. They have been use ceremonially.

have u used any of these???? we can do many shout outs ''what'' can b used but have u tried them?? we r talking chill out with sleep not freak a lil and hope to sleep???

Yes, native willow is pretty common but it is only mildly sedative. It is usually easier to get access to wild growing Mulungu and it is more effective as a sedative but they could be used together with other sedative Australian natives to achieve a more potent effect.

Edited by Leaves

hmm so must be quite the sleeping problem people have. if buds and booze don't work why would any other combo of drugs work more effectively. just not doing it right ;)

• Like 1