The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

ID for this fatty?

Question

Hi Guys

Wonder if you could give me an ID for this prickly fellow. Originally thought it was terscheckii, but it doesn't look anything like the seed grown terscheckii I have - it's spines are much more robust.

Cheers :)

post-1500-0-99064400-1374966760_thumb.jp

post-1500-0-99064400-1374966760_thumb.jpg

post-1500-0-99064400-1374966760_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hi Bit, ts definately from the Terscheckii/Pasacana/Werdermannianus Group. It reminds me a lot about the werdermannianus i had but since this name is kinda numen nudum, its actually irrevelant cause most of these Plants cant really be ID´d correctly if they dont come in their mature stage including flowers. There are so many Varieties.

I'm with eg about the variety in these sorts of plants, and get mightily confused by the group, but I'm a little more inclined to thinking T. werdermannianus falls in with T. tacaquerensis/taquimbalensis.

~Michael~

I think it looks most like a Candicans, but that's partially based off my own potentially mis-IDed juvenile plants. :P

I think it looks most like a Candicans, but that's partially based off my own potentially mis-IDed juvenile plants. :P

Are those from the seedlings I had a heap of? would be interested to see what they turned out like if so.

:)

I still have those guys :P I'll take a photo right now of some plants.
But they actually came from a small-scale supplier to certain NZ gardening stores, who had relatives travel to South America and collect seed.

gallery_7332_400_429088.jpg
Plants from centipede

gallery_7332_400_355374.jpg
What I think is a Candicans

gallery_7332_400_503164.jpg
What could also be a Candicans

gallery_7332_400_106872.jpg
A Chiloensis for good meash

gallery_7332_400_675545.jpg
A Werdermannius

gallery_7332_400_498593.jpg
A Taquimbalensis (many of the spines were clipped off to allow it to be moved in a sedan)

In light of the spine color, I don't think bit's plant is archetypal Taq or Werd as the new growth is yellow coloured spines, not red coloured. But it does look fairly unique, which I suppose can be expected from how rare these plants tend to be.

T. chilensis (Colla) Br. & R. (2)
Bo. columnar, branching from the base, to over 3 m h.; branches numerous, stout; Ri. to 16-17, low, broad, tuberculate; Rsp. 8—12, to 4cm long.; Csp. 1, short, to 4—7(—12) cm long.; Sp. amber at first, or blackish, tobacco-brown or intermediate shades, later whitish-grey, often darker-tipped; Fl. to 14cm long., concolorous white; Sep. reddish or brownish-white; Sti. cream; Fr. spherical.—Chile (Prov. Atacama to Prov. Curico, with a distribution measuring 600 km from N. to S.).

:( My new growth spines on the Chiloensis are actually greenish-yellow (the brown is an aging effect). So it's quite possibly another Knize cuzco mutt! >_<

Edited by CβL
  • Like 2