The Corroboree
ThunderIdeal

coober pedy shale oil - around 200 billion barrels

http://www.topix.net/forum/world/australia/TV79NSEGGMH0E7GOF

this story has been floating around for a while, if there's another thread i couldn't find it sorry

the quantity of oil is still up in the air but even the most conservative estimate of 3 billion barrels is big news. 233 billion could make us the second largest oil producing nation after saudi arabia.

what has been everyone's experience of this story? mainstream media?

Well,... first time I hear about cooper pedy shale oil,............ but I recently saw Alaskan oil sands docu,... and it isn't a pretty picture I tell you. High cancer rates,... waste products leaking into the river,... navitve way of life treathend..... water fowl getting a waste products bath....... one big mess.

I understand that Cooper Pedy is mainly desert,... but I am wond3ring - aquifers etc.... ff'ing pertol colored wallaby's and cucatoo's......

• Like 2

there's the overarching problem with oil production as well..... the more we produce, the more we keep burning, the less we are forced to find a more sensible alternative.

thanks for sharing your experience of this news story woof, i'd like to hear more of this alongside the inevitable derailment.

• Like 1

I've heard taking oil from the ground can have very bad effects suck as more chance if getting earthquakes and such as it releases pressure from the earth

I think Coober Pedy has enough holes in the ground.

edit: may make finding opals harder if every rock has an oil sheen haha

Edited by Distracted

I dont think we are running out of oil in a hurry so I say go for it. If anything the tax from the oil could be used to invest in more eco friendly energy sources. Shit the amount of tax on it could be used to provide free tertiary education.

From what I read though extraction can be difficult and economic feasibility depends on a case by case basis.

Sure there is tax benifit but greed of individuals and corporations comes before tax. Education whilst it sounds grande doesnt solve the worlds problems. It just means more kids grow up into little shitheads that expect a 150k salary at 23yo for writing some kind of intelligent status report for some meandering company. Bullshit baffles brains. Greed will never be rewarded. If it is then it is founded on a very instable base. Never mistake marketing and advertising as intellingence, for truly it is your own stupidity.

As much as I would personally like to see Coober Pedy dug up and turned over and destroyed completely (shit-hole of a place, sorry), I still find myself thinking that maybe there could be more constructive uses of our money and resources and creativity than just finding new ways to get fossil fuel.

Like, oh I dunno, maybe developing something that won't destroy the planet, say? :BANGHEAD2:

• Like 1

^^^ Only if it makes a "profit" mate.

Our economy doesn't allow anything else.

• Like 1

^^ sad and true. I'm sick of money and profit permeating and corrupting every facet of my life.

I wish there was a place where if I needed shelter, I could just find some vacant land and build one without the nonsense and baggage that accompany our modern ideas of "ownership"...where if I needed food, I could simply go out and plant it...where if we needed fun - we could make it ourselves.

But nope, not allowed sorry...you have to work in a job (and support the ideals of materialism and consumerism), so you can earn this thing called money, so you can use it to buy all these other things that you already had before money came along - with a generous helping of shit that you also neither want nor need. It really is nothing but serfdom by another name, leaving you constantly chasing the carrot of freedom and "finally having all you need" but never actually letting you get there.

There's just a 15 year or so period of grace at the end of your life to say "Hey, we've fucked you as hard as we can now, so here, buy a caravan or something".

It does completely blow my mind how we humans put all our energy into war and domination and spend trillions of dollars, purely just to protect ourselves from each other, rather than joining together as one species to work on solutions for a cheap, abundant and clean energy source.

But on the other side of the coin, this is the reality of the current situation and to be completely honest, I can’t help but feel a little privileged to have been so lucky that I was born in Australia in this current golden age, where I have a higher quality of life than the majority of humans to have ever lived have had.

I mean let’s face it, it is a little hypercritical to sit around banging on about how evil the mining industry is, well at the same time we all happily soak up the benefits of it. Whether its by living in our luxurious homes that are powered by coal, driving our combustion engine vehicles everywhere we go or even by consuming the many food products we have access to purely because of these same energy sources we deem so evil and wrong.

So from the perspective of my cushy little quality of life (to which I am quite fond of), I am actually a little excited by this oil discovery in Coober Pedy. Think about it, as the economies of the US, UK & the majority of Europe continue to decline, the Australian economy has continued to prosper because of the mining boom and just when they’re starting to talk about the mining boom coming to an end, 300 billion barrels of oil are found in coober pedy, which not only indicates that we might not actually be at the end of the mining boom, but that we probably haven’t even peaked yet. Seriously! How lucky are we?

No matter what your personal opinions are about mining, you would have to be living in your own little fairyland and have your head completely stuck in the sand not to feel a little privileged to be an Australian in this current era of human evolution.

Though, it is very surprising to me that this is not being talked about more in the news. But I assume that has something to do with not wanting to bring attention to it, to prevent the yuppi green activists who ironically only have the time on there hands to be able to create a big drama about mining, because of the life style the mining boom provides.

Btw, coober pedy is an absolute shit hole and I couldn’t think of a better place in Australia to dig up anyway. Nothing but rocks, sand, salt lakes and fuck wit police who like harassing innocent people for their weed. Screw that place!

Edited by SunChaser

yuppi green activists who ironically only have the time on there hands to be able to create a big drama about mining

Please don't generalise, SunChaser. I find it really annoying. It's a bit like calling everyone on SAB "drug addicts". The situation is far more nuanced than that.

^^^lol, I don’t think I was necessarily generalising old mate, rather I was referring to the people who have the influence within the media and (usually) spare time to be able to create a fuss of any significance.

I should also point out that my post wasn’t meant to be political, nor was I defending any side of the debate. Just pointing out the sad reality of the situation, which is that our reliance on fossil fuels isn’t going to be ending any time soon and the Australian mining boom has allowed us to live very privileged lifestyles that I’m sure every member here has been more than happy to indulge in.

Edited by SunChaser

There is this tiny little problem called Climate Change. We are fueling our current lifestyles with a resource frighteningly polluting, which is also ultimately finite. What happens when we have dug it all out of the ground? Sure the media have sat on this, environmentalists for sure wouldn't be too happy to see mega-corporations make vast profits at the expense of our planet's ability to act as a home for us all.

EDIT: too cranky by half

Edited by whitewind

EdIT-

Edited by whitewind