The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fish 2000

Hops (Humulus lupulus)

Guest Fish 2000

Hi, does anyone here have a Hops vine or can get hold of one?

I hear that it's not againt the law to grow and own the plants but the government has asked all hop growers to refuse sale of cuttings to the general public.

So it's just hard to get hold of. frown.gif

Thanks

Guest Ramon

I recently bought one for a friend of mine who is really into home brew.

The fellow selling it was at the markets at Forest Lake Queensland on a Sunday morning.

I wouldn't mind a Hops vine too. Torsten... have you got any coming up? biggrin.gif

Why is the Australian government trying to stop hops growers from selling/giving away cuttings?

Has it got to do with grafting hops to 'other things' or is that just an urban myth?

I wouldn't mind a Hops vine too. Torsten... have you got any coming up?

they haven't liked our climate much, but we should be able to propagate some this year.

Why is the Australian government trying to stop hops growers from selling/giving away cuttings?

Disease & market control probably.

Has it got to do with grafting hops to 'other things' or is that just an urban myth?

No, it has nothing to do with that, but the grafting is not an urban myth. I have seen this done twice. What is an urban myth is that the hops root then contains THC, or that the other plant then does not contain any THC. The growth rates given in pot lore are no myth though! Grafting rates were very poor even when done by a professional grafter.

Guest Fish 2000

In a book I read it said that grafting onto pot root stock was the problem the government had with hops. And apparantly lots of pot cultivation books say that the hops after grafting then contain THC. How very dissapointing.

Do you think that some people just got THC mixed up with the natural psychoactivity of the hops?

Hey Fish, you ever good hydro bud mixed up with catnip?

In a book I read it said that grafting onto pot root stock was the problem the government had with hops.

Don't believe everything you read wink.gif

Especially if it is written by Maryjane Superweed / Adam Gottlieb.

And apparantly lots of pot cultivation books say that the hops after grafting then contain THC.

The THC is made in the trichomes on the flowers and exuded to the outside of the plant. There is no vascular transmission of THC, ie it does not travel through the inside of the plant. Things like harvesting you pot and hanging it upside down to make the THC 'travel' from the stems to the tips is BS. In fact, hanging it upside down increase the chance that the delicately attached THC crystals will fall on the floor.

So you see, that there is no way that the THC can get to the roots, unless it falls on them wink.gif

Guest auto9950047

I'd like some hops, cuttings, etc., if possible. Thanks in advance.

Guest Pigdog
Originally posted by Torsten:

In fact, hanging it upside down increase the chance that the delicately attached THC crystals will fall on the floor.

B]

I used to be riiiiight into my plants smile.gif I think I can safely share my experience now, since they got me and charged me $1000 for the two shitty plants I had growing at the time, but they're amazing plants, not only because they're beautiful, and get you fucked off your head, but I will always have a love for Cannabis because it was with this plant that I studied and learnt so so much about the growth patterns and processes of plants in general.

Who would've thought that setting the light back to 10 hours would force them to head? Ok alot of people smile.gif But I didn't know that when I first started growing, then I read about the tiny mushroom shaped THC glands attached to the buds and surrounding leaves.

I always knew there were what I thought were "crystals" at flowering, cos I remember seeing them glisten in the sun (so pretty!!) but yer smile.gif I love mull smile.gif was the reason I got into plants to start with, as is prolly the case for most of us smile.gif

Guest Pigdog
Originally posted by Torsten:

In fact, hanging it upside down increase the chance that the delicately attached THC crystals will fall on the floor.

B]

I used to be riiiiight into my plants smile.gif I think I can safely share my experience now, since they got me and charged me $1000 for the two shitty plants I had growing at the time, but they're amazing plants, not only because they're beautiful, and get you fucked off your head, but I will always have a love for Cannabis because it was with this plant that I studied and learnt so so much about the growth patterns and processes of plants in general.

Who would've thought that setting the light back to 10 hours would force them to head? Ok alot of people smile.gif But I didn't know that when I first started growing, then I read about the tiny mushroom shaped THC glands attached to the buds and surrounding leaves.

I always knew there were what I thought were "crystals" at flowering, cos I remember seeing them glisten in the sun (so pretty!!) but yer smile.gif I love mull smile.gif was the reason I got into plants to start with, as is prolly the case for most of us smile.gif

hey pigdog - wasn't it you who spat the dummy the other day about someone double posting wink.gif

I don't smoke mull cos I don't like it. however, I am absolutely fascinated by the plant. It is sooo pretty, versatile and variable. But most importantly I love the aroma of fresh female flowers. The very sweet essential oil, that just doesn't stick around long enough.

BTW, drug dogs are not trained to the THC or other drug things in mull, but to the essential oil. Always wondered what would happen if someone got a spray of essential oil and sprayed it around the aeroplane just before landing in australia........

There is a swiss company offering the essential oil, which should be legal to order.

Guest reville

Thatd be a great way to get through with anything wouldnt it - a micro spray you could spray over people while they were sleeping on the long trip over - confuse the dogs so much theyd have to give up on the dogs as being loco for the day!

Not that id be stupid enough to try and smuggle anything on my person of course smile.gif

Guest reville

by the way - pigdog - how did you manage to double post anyway? isnt there flood control on this board??

Looks like pigdog waited the full 5 minutes to re-post. Floodcontrol is ON.

Actually, the cannabinoids (incl THC) are not volatile and thus are not present in the essential oil, but rather in the fixed oil (the heavy, fatty oils).

The essential oil is used in perfumery, flavouring beer and in aromatherapy. Thus hemp beer does not get you stoned (against popular belief / wishful thinking).

Oh wow. Where is it used for those purposes? Ie would we have any chance of getting some in this country? I am drooling at the thought of a Sam Adams style hoppy beer with cannabis instead of hops for the bittering... such a lovely aroma/taste...

Hemp beer is quite legal in most EU countries. Definitely in germany, holland and switzerland. Most of the hemp is actually grown in switzerland, which is where the support for legal cannabis production is coming from. It's a huge industry and it doesn't go against the 'single convention' and swiss law to grow cannabis for non-drug purposes.

I guess you could always pop a couple of buds in your homebrew wink.gif (in SA and ACT only)

But then again, you will be exposed to plenty of cannabis products where you are going next year smile.gif

Is it the essential oil that gives pot that distinct smell when its gets burnt?

If it is, would you be able to get put soak some plant matter in the oil and then smoke it to get the taste of marijuana without the evil illegal THC factor?

If this is possible, it would be quite possible to sell fake dope to people by soaking mullien in the essential oil and then selling it to people. (not that I'd do such a bastardly thing, its jsut my mind at work)

-bumpy