The Corroboree
incognito

Magnesium supplements

I have been taking magnesium 500mg supplements twice a day for the last week, recommended by my doc to treat my fuckedmup hamstrings from cramping and twitching in this cold weather( ruptured right hamstring 2 yrs ago, and have torn both a few times- they are rooted) cramping has subsided though.....I don't think words would do justice to the improvenment to my mood and feeling of general well being. I should have taken magnesium sups along time ago! Does anyone else here take them? What's a good brand? Source?

I'm truly converted to the powers of magnesium!!! Like the best anti depressant ever???

Edited by incognito
  • Like 2

I dont know about wonder drug, but it works well for the cramps and knots i get in my feet and legs.

I have been using them off and on for years now and havent noticed much of dif between any of the brands i tried. (i tend to buy what evers value for money/ on special)

i take it on weekends. most people are deficient apparently.

i think there is some kind of calcium/magnesium relationship you may want to read up on if you plan to heavily supplement your mg

years ago when i was giggin hard [playing drums] i used chewable magnesium tabs[forget what brand] cause i sweated like a beast and half through the set i would cramp up hard. i chewed two b4 the gig and two halfway in bout 45mins and didnt have cramps again!! originally i went and saw a chinese herb dude 4 acupuncture 4 the prob and he recommended them<>

• Like 1

I've heard they're good for anxiety/depression/mood and stuff...maybe I should have a crack at them.

They are really good for when you are coming down or after lots of dancing at parties etc.
Also very good to use in conjunction with amphe*tamines, it will help with the effect, reduce jaw clenching, reduce tolerance build up and helps prevent salt loss due to dehydration which makes your comedown feel aweful.

^ yeh hey. tolerance could force you to confront some demons and make some changes, whereas magnesium doesn't try to show you the error of your ways, it just helps you down the path, more like a friendly random than an overbearing parent :)

i'm not sure what's an appropriate amount to use though or how to keep it in proportion with the level and duration of stimulation. too much magnesium has quite rapid adverse effects, i don't think it's anything serious but you don't want to go through a fortnights worth of magnesium in a few days.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

i take it on weekends. most people are deficient apparently.

i think there is some kind of calcium/magnesium relationship you may want to read up on if you plan to heavily supplement your mg

Isn't it just that magnesium increases the bio-availability of calcium, by helping it to penetrate cells or something? I just bought a bottle today, gonna try the recommended 500mg twice a day thing...I'm not sure if that will be enough to cause any problems but would appreciate if anybody knows more that I might not (the recommendation on the bottle for migraines and PMS use was 1500mg twice a day I think!)

I'd just kinda assumed that I'd have enough magnesium because I make a point of eating green leaves and vegetables fairly often. But I just realized (more strongly than before) that that's irrelevant - it depends entirely on your sodium intake. Too much sodium means you don't have enough magnesium to balance things. I don't get cramps or anything, but I sure as heck eat a lot of sodium.

Yeah I like to have magnesium supplements occasionally as I used to get cramps and knotty muscles a lot. It seems to help, which is great because cramps are awful.

At the moment I have calcium/magnesium combo tablets. I guess you cant have too much calcium hey.

^^ you'd think so..but you can have too much of anything really.

Vitamin C for example is an antioxidant up until about 2000mg I believe, after which point it can actually have the reverse effect and behave in a similar manner to free radicals (the threshold might actually be a bit higher than 2000mg, but I do know it starts being bad for you at some point).

It's been like a miracle in my hammys this winter. Haven't had one cramp at night since I've been on them. Nothing like waking up to the pain of what feels like my hammys tearing again? And I've gotta take around 30 mins to stretch them out. I'm fearful I may have to have them operated on, and what they are gonna be like in old age. I've literally gotta fall out of bed then climb up a wall with my hands and gradually stretch them until they sort themselves out, been really bad in winter since my last tear two yrs ago. But the magnesium has been like a miracle, and it's been interesting the boost its give to my moods. Yay magnesium!!

• Like 4

I've just been reading a book called "Nutrients quiet the unquiet brain". The title says it all. It explains how many of those mental conditions such as bipolar and schizophrenia and even epilepsy are related and often much improvement is achieved with simple vitamins and minerals.

Much of these issues stem from the communication between the two hemispheres of the brain (the two sides kinda even-out thinking, reasoning and moods etc). More specifically, it's the electrical messages crossing the area between the two hemispheres. Many of these nutrients are (or at least contain) metals that improve electrical conductivity between the two hemispheres, and that's partly why electrolytes and other good conductors like lithium and sodium are so effective for many such conditions.

I take Sodium valproate for another reason, it's almost an OTC medication -a real lightweight that any doctor will prescribe if you want it. It's also a well known mood stabilizer and I definitely notice major improvements in mood when I'm taking it.

So anyway, a multivitamin is a really good idea. It makes sure you get a little bit of everything you might be missing out on. (I think chromium was another good one for example).

I see vitamins and minerals as a bit like fertilizers - slightly under is probably better than slightly over, and a multivitamin is the equivalent of a sprinkle of osmocote. -you just can't go wrong with it.

• Like 1

So anyway, a multivitamin is a really good idea. It makes sure you get a little bit of everything you might be missing out on. (I think chromium was another good one for example).

Thats the marketing line lots of people were raised with. Its funny, all the 60 yr olds I know who were raised thinking daily multivitamins improve health have diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, allergies.

Modern research shows that multivitamin users have shorter lifespans.

Wasnt it Hippocrates who said "Let food be thy medicine"

I guess you cant have too much calcium hey.

Thats what the dairy industry would love for us to believe :wink:

No shortage of calcium for me I'm a milkaholic. Dairy industry your oright' with me :)

Life would not be worth living without choccy milk.

Halcyon thanks for the informative post. I think it would be really tricky to shop for foods that cover ALL the essential vitamins and minerals consistently.

Too much calcium will give you stones. OUCH!
I used to mung down mylanta like a boss until I isolated my allergy to tomatos, now its not so bad and I only need them a few times a week.

I was always warned by my doctors that eating them too often will have me pissing shards before long.

From what I understand about pastured milk though, too much calcium isnt going to be an issue,

Life would not be worth living without choccy milk.

Too cute! :P