The Corroboree
niggles

The 17 ridiculously cute moths page

I thought this was.. umm.. cute.

EmperorGumMothFeat.jpgImgur

Generally speaking, we think of moths as the unsettling, night-flying creepster cousin of the butterfly. But *look* at this Emperor Gum Moth! It is at least as cute as a candid shot of a dog. At least. So we scrounged up some more pictures of moths cute enough that we probably wouldn’t scream if they made their way into our apartment and started flying into the overhead light.

Io Moth
IoMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89
Imgur

At night, the female extends a scent gland from her abdomen to attract male butterflies with pheromones. Hubba hubba.

Beautiful Wood Nymph
BeautifulWoodNymphMimicsBi.jpg?w=630&h=0
Imgur

This one is supposed to look like bird poop. It's a disgusting (ly cute) camouflage technique.

Polyphemus Moth
PolyphemusMothnomouth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1
Imgur

The polyphemus moth, like many moths, doesn't eat after it emerges from its cocoon. Incidentally, they also don't live too long.

Venezuelan Poodle Moth
VenezuelanPoodleMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&
Imgur

The Venezuelan poodle moth was only discovered in 2009.

Hummingbird Hawk-Moth
redbubbleHummingbirdHawkMot.jpg?w=630&h=
RedBubble

The hummingbird hawk-moth (or hummingmoth), actually makes an audible humming sound, in addition to looking like a hummingbird.

Lygodium Spider Moth
Lygodium-Spider-Moth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&
Imgur

This moth lives in Thailand and looks like a spider to scare the business out of predators/us.

Glasswing Moth
GlassWingMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t
Imgur

Not only does the glasswing moth have a cool name, it is among some of the fastest flying insects in the world.

Elephant Hawk-Moth
ElephantHawkMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&
Imgur

This moth shimmers when it moves. AAAH GLITTER MOTH!

Pandora Sphinx Moth
PandoraSphinxMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0
Imgur

We like this one because it looks like a tiny bat. Or an armadillo.

Robin Moth
RobinMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=8
Imgur

This is North America's largest native moth. And it's cuuuuuute! USA! USA!

Rosy Maple Moth
RosyMapleMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t
Imgur

These guys love maple trees. No, seriously, it's kind of a problem.

Comet Moth
CometMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=8
Imgur

This big guy's cocoon has a hole in it, so it doesn't drown in the downpours of the rain forest in Madagascar.

Garden Tiger Moth
GardenTigerMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a
Imgur

This one's body fluids are poisonous. D'awwww. But seriously, it's sparkly, guys.

Giant Leopard Moth
LeopardMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q
Imgur

Much like the leopard print suggests, this moth can occasionally be found in New Jersey.

Dark Marathyssa
DarkMarathyssa.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=
Imgur

Okay, so this is pretty disturbing, but when the Dark Marathyssa opens its wings, it totally goes back to being an ordinary moth. No need to panic, folks.

Lobster Moth (caterpillar)
LobsterMothCaterpillar.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=
Imgur

Holy what? This must make the most amazing moth ever!

Actual Lobster Moth
TrekNatureLobsterMoth.jpg?w=630&h=0&zc=1
TrekNature

Nope. Nothing to see here, move along.

AND FINALLY...

IMgurMOthGif.gif
Because you can't look at a bunch of moths without a GIF of a caterpillar eating popcorn.

http://thefw.com/ridiculously-cute-moths/

I must say im a sucker for a venezeulan poodle moth.

Who wouldn't be?

• Like 12

moths r sooo cooler then butterflies

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

They are more interesting and varied than butterflies because there are literally hundreds of times more species. :)

Here's an Emperor Gum Moth I found almost dead in Tassie :) :)

post-8867-0-36120700-1373280734_thumb.jp

emperor gum moth b.jpg

emperor gum moth b.jpg

Moths are incredible!

I love poodle-moth too

post-8023-0-82331900-1373280909_thumb.jp

Awwwwww such a lil cutie pie

I think i might do a moth scrimshaw for my next piece...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

post-8023-0-22167800-1373281017_thumb.jp

Moth-lovers will hate me for this (I'm a moth lover, so I hate me for it) ... But when I was 4 I thought if I collected enough dust from moths wings and sprinkled it over myself that i would be able to fly.

So I killed lots of moths, for their magickal wing-dust. And then I jumped off a shed.. I didn't fly.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 7

Well at least you've now published your findings and helped increase our scientific understanding of the topic :)

• Like 3

A friend of mine is extremely afraid of moths, he freaks out worse than someone afraid of spiders... jumping about and flailing his arms and stripping naked in a frenzy if he thinks one is on him :)

Imagine his surprise, when he was 10 years old: He walked into the butterfly enclosure at the zoo and realised that they're just like moths, and when he turned to run back out the one way door had closed him in... Hahaha - apparently he had to run round the entire enclosure, slapping, screaming and stripping all the way to the end. Hahaha, I laugh out loud every time I think of him telling me the story... Apparently many butterflies, his dignity and a few plants were harmed in this incident...

• Like 2

A friend of mine is extremely afraid of moths, he freaks out worse than someone afraid of spiders... jumping about and flailing his arms and stripping naked in a frenzy if he thinks one is on him :)

Imagine his surprise, when he was 10 years old: He walked into the butterfly enclosure at the zoo and realised that they're just like moths, and when he turned to run back out the one way door had closed him in... Hahaha - apparently he had to run round the entire enclosure, slapping, screaming and stripping all the way to the end. Hahaha, I laugh out loud every time I think of him telling me the story... Apparently many butterflies, his dignity and a few plants were harmed in this incident...

That is indeed very funny, however I think that having an irrational fear would be pretty awful.. it seems like it would be such a massive restriction on your personal freedom. I know of someone who cant cross bridges. That would really get in the way. I encourage them to confront this fear, tell them to think of it like a kind of psychedelic adventure, where you can walk right to the edge of terror and not have to step into it, but they wont even go near the bridges. Fascinating but confusing and terrible.

• Like 1

cute? or just frickin awesome!?

• Like 1

i can't snorkle with my wife and 7 yo old cause of sharks. My wife had to teach him :(

I used to snorkle all the time, but then people started getting eaten regularly, which in an ironic way is a sign their numbers are increasing wich is great form and enviromental standpoint, but I can't rationalize the reward for risk, even though I know it's slim. Any1 know how much a shark shield is?

cute? or just frickin awesome!?

option b, for sure. but that poodle moth - its got the cutes.

Naja - thats rough you should go to thailand and do diving where the sharks dont bother humans. Or get the batman shark repellent spray.

Sharkshields are between 300-500 bucks off gumtree, just gotta keep an eye out. New they're about 550...