The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jessie

mandrake

Guest jessie

Hi,

Does anyone here know where I might be able to find a mandrake (or womandrake) plant?

thanks in advance,

jessie

Hi, I am not sure where you can purchase a mandrake plant. But, Richter's sells seeds. They are kind of pricey though. Anyway, the website is: www.richters.com

I'm interested too wink.gif

Guest jessie

thanks earthalchemist,

i have come across quite a few sources for mandrake root, but I cant find a plant anywhere, which is what I'm really after. I'm sure someone here must have one :-)

Guest reville

I noticed medicine-garden has it (seasonally)

Ive had fairly good service from them ,but for the price..

Guest jessie

Thanks... What is the address for that site?

Guest reville

The address is www.medicine-garden.com.au

Once you get there youll notice its much the same as here in whats on offer but for the fact theres much more here and its alot cheaper as well.

Nevertheless mandrake is one species he has.

Is it true they like calcareous soil?

Guest jessie

No idea what kind of soil they like. Guess I'd better find out seeing as i'm planning on buying some of the (expensive) seeds from medicine garden. apparently they're hard to germinate, so hopefully it won't be a dissapointing experiment.

my father wants to try growing a mandrake hydroponically, in a glass pot so that you can see the roots as they devolope. anyone got any thoughts about whether this is likely to work?

Mandrake seed has to be fresh to germinate. Most overseas distributors will mail out on prepaid orders only - to ensure freshness. This would indicate that we are looking at a matter of days or maybe weeks before they become unviable.

Medicine Garden does not generally factor such matters into their sales - make sure to ask for the seed collection date.

Hydroponically speaking any thing can be grown using soil-less culture. the main problem that may arise is that the plant will quickly absorb all the 02 in your solution. For this I suggest a small fish tank pump and an airstone to supply the roots with ample 02. Regarding an nutrient plan I would need to now a little more about the plant eg family/genus, time of year that it grows best. It can be done

Guest Arcadian

In response to reville's question on the calcareous soil, I would investigate this further. I am not 100% sure but I read mandragora grows poorly frown.gif in chalky or even excessively gravelly soil!