The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Chooks! What breeds do you have running around laying eggs?

Hey all , im very close to finishing my chook hotel and purchasing some chicks .

I have had chickens only once before and they lasted about a week before the dogs tore them to bits . This time i have no dogs and a tonne of space for them to free range and or be put to work in a chicken tractor .

But i am unsure of what breeds are the go ..

What breeds do you have running around? Good layers not too big ,pleasant manner all that :)

Edited by bℓσωηG
  • Like 1

I've got Isa Brown/Hyline crosses-retired from a "free range" egg farm. They bury the ones they can't sell when the chooks are about 18months. Theses girls lay almost everyday for a few years.

Australorps and Barnevelders are my old favs, getting some more soon-heaps of eggs and good meat.

Maybe look at bantam breeds if you want small layers.

We got Isa Browns as well and they were good layers until the rooster came along.

Hatched some chooks last week in a home-made incubator and I think it's time to get rid of the rooster before neighbours start complaining.

I got some faverolles and isa browns. This spring ill get some more faverolles and start to phase out the browns. Faverolles are nice duel purpose chickens and so much more chilled than the browns. Live heaps longer too

australorps good gentle chooks, make good kids pets and a fairly gentle chook all in all. The chook of choice for me now.

Also a few hardy bantam mongrels, they are tough buggers, my little bantam rooster gave the neighbours peacock a flogging...lol...

really david and goliath grudgematch....peacock doesnt come down to the little bantams kingdom now.

Have had Rhode Island Reds before, just got to watch out for the fairly common psycho rooster.

If you like crazy things give guineafowl a go....not an issue in NZ but they dont take much of a liking to snakes...lol

I have bantams and silkies. cool little chickens with yummy little eggs.

I collect feathers and would be wrapped if anyone could save me a few nice feathers. Anything from about 3" long, striped or spotted, or even some of those metallic green tail / saddle feathers from a rooster would be great, but not from a bird killed for din din. I am sure a rooster wouldnt mind having a feather or two extracted in his sleep?! lol. I can pay for postage. PM me if you guys collect a few feathers :) . Thanks.

So i am not going totally off topic, i will add that from my experience, the fancy chickens with heavily feathered feet are more prone to problems like scaley leg mite and what not, though some of the fancy ones are pretty neat looking hey.

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

Couldn't use them for egg-laying, but golden pheasants can be extremely smart, well-tamed, and make very good pets if you get them when they're young. I've always wanted to have one or two. :)

Our chickens (3 left) are fantastic little birds, but hate being touched. They lay well, and only sometimes try and brood. I feel sorry for them that we're practically slaving them and forcing them not to brood. :(
I'll try and find out what breed they are anyway, as they do great in the climate here. :)

Thanks for the replies , i am excited about finally getting some chooks , i eat alot of eggs so it will save me money if i can get them for free. Theyre great little composters too so cant wait to put them to work in the garden .

I may try some barred plymouth rocks (they look cool) and maybe a bantam rooster ,Though im not 100% sure just yet decisions decisions ... this vid made me smile

• Like 2

My mate has Aussie game and Malay. They are traditionally fighting cocks, don't produce a lot, but give delicious big eggs, and they are an absolute hoot to watch them find their pecking order amongst each other. Funniest birds ive ever watched.

Hahah blowng, i love my chickens. BUt i have met a few crazy chicken ladies exactly like that LOL

• Like 1

hahahhah i tried many chicks but aye doesnt matter how big the fence my dogz love chook 4 dinner!!!!!!!!!! i have taught the newer dogs to love the goats but birds fuk me they hate them!! and the older hounds teach the new pupz/dogz they suck sooo fucken eat them lol!!!!

oi water boi rhode island r lil crazy, guineafowl eggs tastes like ummm[shit] not good, yes they r good watchers [snakes,minerbirds,dogs,feralpeople etc.....]

Edited by bullit

Got 2 Dutch Wellsummers.. Pretty birds and good layers. Approx 250 p/annum as opposed to the "Utility" birds at approx 330 p?annum. Their colouration and appearance seemed a fair tradeoff to the egg count for me.

April and May are their names BTW

And man they make some rad soil!!

• Like 1

^ I was going to say the exact same thing about foxes as advice to blowng, but wasn't sure if foxes are in New Zealand...???

^ I was going to say the exact same thing about foxes as advice to blowng, but wasn't sure if foxes are in New Zealand...???

Nope no foxes here , instead the top predators are ferrets /stoats and weasels which are the mortal enemy of foxes and known chook killers... So kiwis have to watch out for them and feral cats oh and rats lol get some big rats here. This is why i am yet to get chooks as i want the coup nice and safe for when i put them to bed :)

Edit to my original post, i now have no chickens.

Watch out for foxes :(

Dude i am sorry for your loss RIP chooks :(

Edited by bℓσωηG

I don't have chickens and I also realize that this fun fact probably stems from the barbaric treatment of battery chickens and influencing their day night ratios and such. But the australorp holds the world record for most eggs laid in one year. 363 eggs in 364 days.

Now that's is impressive.

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

i put my trail cam into the now empty chicken house last night and left the door open. This is what it saw

Foxcluprit1_zps3c98fbe3.jpg

fox3_zps84aada7f.jpg

fox2_zpsdc735ff0.jpg

• Like 3

fuken checky lil c#nt not u billioz the fox lol

:-( that sucks. Glad there's no foxes here at my place..so far.

I have silkies Pekins and bantam Australian langshans

The langshans are large for bantams, have feathered feet so kinder on the garden, and lay big eggs regularly except for winter etc.

All really friendly breeds very cool to watch. :-)

there was another pic that wasnt so good,of his tail at 2pm in the afternoon, thats pretty brazen.,

I wanna get some Rhode Island reds but my place is up in the hills where there are more foxes than people, I just know they would break my heart. What about a motion sensor lights around ur chicken pen??