The Corroboree
mutant

Mandrake cultivation discussion

Do you know if you can over winter the root? I am unfortunately in a part of the world that has very cold winters and snow so I am just curious.

I am sure it would be fine for bigger roots to go dry during the coldest months but I am not sure for seedlings.

It could be the way people grow peppers to be perennial, they bring in in winter or

another idea would be to put in basement, which is strange, as it would cut the growing season in 2, as the plant actually likes to grow during automn and winter and spring and rest in summer (northern hemisphere) .

I dont know what happens if it freezes, or worse if it freezes wet. I suppose you could grow in automn, rest / water sparcely and keep in protected place in winter , and then grow again in spring...

I suppose it could happen... dunno...

This has to be one of my favourite threads. One plant I have been drawn to the most in my quest toward ethnobotanicals, but too scared to try due to it's obvious difficulty. However the info presented on here gives me a glimmer of hope and if you have any seed in the future I will happily pay you.

• Like 1

they're not as difficult as it is claimed, but it obviously has to do with the climate.

there is still last springs seed available

5 euros per seed pack through paypoal , postage paid world wide, PM me

I will be adding growing notes for seedling as I observe more - I recently repotted a couple seedlings from the steno marginatus crests pots to their own..

One permanent behaviour pattern seems to be the fact that they stop growing when the tap root reaches the bottom of the pot.. Long, deep pots are essential for this plant indeed

• Like 3

first fruits of the year ripening as winter leaves here

P1130006.jpg

P1130007.jpg

• Like 6

P1130121.jpg

I wish I could make something with the pulp of of the fruits...

thinking of perfume... where is that austrian dude ? [have drank beers today, yeah, my nephwe left, what do you want?]

Edited by mutant
  • Like 4

P1130337.jpg

had to put up these veins again!

• Like 7

i love the pics mutant. i tried growing it in way too hot conditions and the humid summer killed the already struggling seedlings.

i take it as a given your seed is super fresh then? i have some from when you offered it about a year ago, but some seeds straight from the fruit would be nice.. or does viability stay good for a while?

It might pay to grow them in the equivalent of automn in the northern hemisphere, which is propably now for you... growing seedlings in heat seems like a not so good idea. The ones I had sownm in automn almost vanished with the warm weather. Deep pot is a must like I said...

most seed from last year I have sold/given away.. I have only checked viability in september, did not count the percentage though...

but of course there is fresh seed of 2015, but the seedpacks will be a bit smaller than last years, still cheaper than any mofo in the globe.

your plants are beautiful mutant.

good crop of fruits this year.

this little plant came from Karode

late summer i took its head off with the whipper snipper (grass cutter) whilst weeding the garden and it didn't come back.

thought id killed it etc.......dug down to check it bout a month ago, the root was still good so covered it back up and cleared some weeds away. had a look yesterday and its sprouted :)

its root was 20cm when planted.

post-13829-0-82255700-1430652158_thumb.j post-13829-0-74444900-1430652168_thumb.j

post-13829-0-75778000-1430652202_thumb.j post-13829-0-97623600-1430652214_thumb.j

here it seems - up with the daffodils and dies off when the lilliums do.

the first lot of seeds i got from you Mutant the mice have eaten :(

as the others have arrived in time for planting I'm very glad and will get them planted once i separate the ones I'm sending out.

the mice are working their way through a huge bag of sunflower seeds now.

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

• Like 3

I would be cool to see whats the rate of them some 1 year after harvest.. Remind me to send you some fresh ones too!

Nuo98k8m.jpgL99OSxim.jpgHwVBhqwm.jpg

growing well in the ground.
  • Like 8

awesome watch for mealies

Hi, so I have a few Mandrake popping up. When is best to transplant into their final spot. When they have their first true leaves, or further than that? Cheers.

post-12773-0-45291400-1435195278_thumb.j

post-12773-0-45291400-1435195278_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-45291400-1435195278_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

you might struggle to keep it alive during summer.. best season to sow, grow, transplant is september IMO for out hemisphere.. be careful if you transplant it, I would wait for 1st real leaves or 2nd I guess to put it in a deep pot, not the final pot

• Like 1

The mandrake i got from Karode is doin very well now, havnt looked after it at all.

c3DGlIyl.jpg
FSOk20tl.jpg
UUUPvHpl.jpg
are yours dormant now Mutant?
how them seeds comn along AIT?
  • Like 4

yep their dormant and was thinking about what doing with them...

I will "dig\em'up" them all - suspect mealies on the roots

so it might not be very pretty

I intend to offer a couple pics when'there's something nice

will do this soon though.... I suppose the ones in the tray died, no???? lets wait for next automn...

dunno how much I am willing for some real automn mushroom hunt in the woods!

PS: always strange to have opposite climates/hemispheres, but it adds a cerain supence, no???

you scorpio freak, more than any, I trust you more, as I already had a scorpio girlfriend...

I know your projects are not game, they're aimed and deeply motivated, usually.. in the archetypical sco....

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Hello everybody

I am new and this is my first post here.

It is nice to see you are growing mandrakes. Here they grow wild everywhere. But now in Summer they are "Missing in Action" like Chuck Norris :lol: They usually have fruits and seeds around Christmas.

Greetings.

• Like 2

Nice work, Mutant!

I want to put this plant into tissue culture.

Am going to plant seeds (after disinfecting) into agar, seal up, then place in the refirigerator.

Can you send me seeds (USA)

also, even though they look excellent...

are you sure you are growing this plant correctly??

Serious people have said this in the past, it seems a bit challenging, I am encouraged to hear cuttings work too!

M_Drake.txt

M_Drake.txt

M_Drake.txt

Edited by shonman

Malverde >>> which country? Is it Isreal?

I would love to trade some seeds from over there with some from my country, Greece

if you like!

shonman>>

I dont know why you are asking if I am growing them well.

Sure they get mealies and the leaves/rosette is stressed as some point (didn't use protection ), bit what is correctly?

the roots are routinely uprooted and they always increase in size

and the seed production was somewhat 3x this year that of the previous year

so, if they roots are becoming bigger and the number of fruits and size of fruits increases

and cuttings take

then I guess I am doing okey growing them

I guess we will see: I plan to uproot them today, will put up pics

they say (growing mandrake) its difficult... well it might be difficult for colder places or southern hemisphere

.. maybe people in colder climates should try with mandragora officinalis/officinarium but I cant help with this

I think m.automnalis is pretty straight forward for my climate to grow...

• Like 1

Hi Mutant

I am from Spain. There are Mandragora autumnalis here in the country. Now it is impossible to find them, but when the rains beggin they will appear.

There are many legends and lore about Mandrake. Such as you need to tie to them a black dog to dig up the root, or they shout a mortal scream when you dig up them, so the use of the dog. Or you must make a circle around them with a knife or a sword before to dig it up. One very strange is that they, or the better ones for witchcraft, grow under the spot were a man was hanged.

I think such stories are known in every country, not only here.

Greetings.

lots of stories and weird old men or semi-crazy partakers in some places where its native...

sure, mandrake, sure due to its root shape and not only is one of the most famous 'mystic' plants, from the myths that sourround it , point-of-view.. ginger has some similar myth around it, and they center around the so called "human shape" of the root-formation..

I am pretty anxious to whether I will uproot a man shaped root tomorrow, nah, I am a cynic, their roots are beautifull, I just hope they have fattened up and not been hit my mealies or other pest

uprooting tomorrow most likely

• Like 2

hey if I dont report back i probably died by undigging too many mandrakes from their pots and messing with them

you know they are quite sensitive... bis die nachste Tag

• Like 1

P1130816.jpg P1130817.jpg P1130829.jpg

THE WOMAN!!!!

P1130831.jpg P1130832.jpg

OTHER ROOTS

P1130840.jpg P1130841.jpg P1130843.jpg

P1130844.jpg P1130846.jpg P1130847.jpg

• Like 5