The Corroboree

Question

Hi All,

(1) About a year or 2 ago, I bought a packet of "Ipomoea violacea var Milky Way" from our most excellent benefactors here at SAB.

It sure seemed different than the I. violaceas I've grown in the past: A more hairy plant, and the number, size, & shape of the seeds were slightly different.

Now I see a Wikipedia entry that says Milky Way are I. purpurea, not I. violacea/tricolor.

Anyone point me to a reference that would clear this identification up?

(2) Any info anywhere on whether Milky Way seeds are more, less, or similar (in psychoactive effects) to Heavenly Blues or Pearly Gates?

(3) Finally, if it =is= I.purpurea, I read a post about that being a more invasive and weedy species. So not likely to die in a typical Melbourne-type winter?

By the way: Whatever species it is, I had lots of empty seed pods and no signs of seed on the ground. So the local mice (or ?) probably like it a lot.

Thanks very much,

Carl

Melbourne

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

i have sum i.purpurea seeds i got from a vendor waiting till spring to grow them. they were listed different to the violaceas.

[2] also would like to know this 1!! and the different in i. setosa [brazilian morning glory]

ya empty seed pods toooo cold???? i am having this prob with my daturas now . with the seed pods growing a lil then droping off .. its been fuken cold and wet here :angry:

hmmm, what a stuff up. sorry. I had assumed it is violacea because it is active while any purpurea I have tried wasn't. Now I see references that state purpurea is also usuallya ctive - but none of my varieties have ever been. Also, i could have bet that milky way crossed with our violacea. Looks like I was wrong.

will fix shortly.

True I purpuea definitely set seed.

I have a very interesting variety that produces lots and lots of seed. looks more like a nil but very interesting none the less.