The Corroboree

Truefood network news
S.gifS.gifS.gif

Pigs are severely harmed by GM feed, new study shows

A new research paper, published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Organic Systems and released last week, revealed that pigs are seriously harmed by the consumption of feed containing genetically modified (GM) crops over a commercial rearing lifetime. Pigs fed on the GM diet had more severe stomach inflamation and GM fed females had on average a 25% heavier uterus than non-GM-fed females.

15.jpg

This study, lead by Dr Judy Carman, adjunct associate professor at Flinders University (Adelaide) is adding to the long list of recent research showing there are potential health risks linked to eating GM food that are not addressed in any current assessment regime in the world. Few people know that GM foods are never tested over a time frame longer than 90 days. This new study shows once again the need to develop strong and independant long term feeding studies of GM food crops designed to research their potential effects over whole lifetimes and across generations.

>> More information on Dr Judy Carman's work

• Like 1

I recently watched this doco 'Genetic Roulette' which Blowng posted in the youtube vids thread, post no.1960

Definitely worth the watch when you've got the time, it explores the health repercussions for several types of animals and for humans.

Leaky guts anyone?

It shows a few farmers talking at the end and they say animals always choose non-GE feed over GE-feed if given the option, even when they farmers try and trick them by switching the buckets

:( poor pigs

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 2

Very interesting - I wonder how many pigs were slaughtered to perform the tests? D22 B41... can we assume at least 63? what about A and C? I guess its much of a muchness, a commercial pigs life is far from 5 star to begin with, then they end up being electrocuted, torched, chainsawed in half, cut up into little bits then sold off to other pigs... being an experimental pig is probably a privileged existance...

Round up is really bad shit, this study is a crock but there are legitimate studies ones that have been done that prove herbicide exposure has negative effect particularly to females. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512005637 Even this study was done poorly and has been heavily criticised due to the fact there was a large rate of cancerous development in control rats. But more and more work is being done

In time I think they will have to ban the GM round up ready products and maybe then GM will lose a lot of its stigma.

• Like 2

Syngenta Charged for Covering up Livestock Deaths from GM Corn

http://www.qwmagazine.com/2012/06/14/brazilian-farmers-win-2-billion-judgment-against-monsanto/

That is a truly disturbing report. However, I must see it peer reviewed in trusted media like The Australian before I will accept it lol

Unfortunately its hard to trust either side on this matter - leaving me still sitting on the fence with GM. Most reports that say its a horrible thing are poorly done, with the authors usually having bias against GMO technology. I havnt read the report, but from what i gather it doesnt mention what the GM was for (herbicide resistance, bt toxin etc?), and each modification works on different alleles, affecting different systems, so you cant really tar it all with one brush anyway - theyd need to test multiple GMOs with different GM traits to get a real indication of whats safe and what isnt.

Also not sure if roundup has different ingredients other than just glyphosate, but as far as i know glyphosate itself is relatively safe to use (as long as you dont eat something thats just been sprayed), as it breaks down rapidly and is readily absorbed by the plant is put on. I dont thing its a good solution though - sould really only be used as a last resort. I visited the farm they grow the wax-tipped bananas at in innisfail, and they use a system they call bioganics or something, but the idea is they dont dig (except directly where they plant the banana tree), dont pull out the weeds or use much fertilizer, and if you've ever eaten one of their bananas you would know they are better than most, and the trees are healthy and high yielding, so really i dont see any need for some of this stuff in the first place. (sorry - off topic a bit lol)

In the rat test journal I put up they actually added glyphosate to the water the rats had to drink. there was a fairly strong sex linked risk. A significant amount more research need to be done before any real findings can be declared but..

• Like 1

The days of glyphosate should be coming to an end (for good or for bad...), we were the first country to show weeds with glyphosate resistance.

When I did horticulture years ago I was told it was safe enough to drink (lol), and the "facts" of being quickly degraded came from the developers of the chem based on controlled lab studies - not field studies. Its the degradation products that are persistant.

aminomethylphosphonic acid is one of the breakdown products and is highly persistant (low acute toxicity). I have seen the results of agronomy work here detect it nearly 2 years after application. It appears colder climates and sandy soil structures are more likely to promote persistance.

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 6

Looking at that "study" I am concerned by the numbers of GMO fed and non-GMO fed pigs developing pneumonia while grown in US currently accepted farming practices. Love the fact that was overlooked.

The humble swine if afflicted by a myriad of diseases, and cross breeds more so from unfavourable gene combinations.

• Like 2

i love bacon

• Like 2

fuck yes a magic beast Bacon and hams and pork chops and crackle.

• Like 3

From what I've read Roundup does what it's supposed to do - i.e. kill plants - apparently by dicking around with the shikimate pathway. So far so good. Then you figure out that it also kills or denatures the gut flora in animals (the unfortunate pigs, the unfortunate cows that get "roundup ready" cottonseed and soya beans, and the unfortunate apex predators that eat them). And it's not just Roundup Ready GMOs that increase our exposure to glyphosate - Big Ag has dreamed up exotic ways to use this stuff. They use it to ripen wheat - and because the plants are becoming R-up resistant we use more of it than ever. And this great beeg food channel points straight to us - and by the time the glyphosate gets to us, it just about saturates everything on the supermarket shelves.

I'm no scientist, but apparently the shikimate pathway is critical for plants to synthesize tryptophan (say what?). So I wonder if chronic exposure to background levels of glyphosate or glyphosate metabolites makes us depressed as well, by reducing the tryptophan content of everything?

I'd hate to see what the modern human ape's insides look like by comparison

• Like 1

Anyone who has picked fruit should be able to tell you that towards the end of a day picking your mind feels scambled. I picked fruit (chinese cabbage mainly) when I was still at school & the same effect could be seen each day, sometimes my friends & I would have to leave because we would just start to feel to strange & get dizzy, everyone's behavior would become very extroverted. I also used to have a problem trying to sight read sheet music after picking because my vision would do this strange zooming in thing where I could only see one note at a time therefore I couldn't string the notes all together. This went away after I stopped picking so I put it down to what ever I was being exposed to on the farms.