The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halcyon Daze

So I bought a persimmon today...

No f**n seeds... I only bought it to plant the bloody seeds! 2 of them actually :angry: (turns out they were hothouse grown in NZ :wacko: )

Anyway, I 'built a bridge' and tried to look on the bright side, and even came to accept that SHIT HAPPENS! But things got exponentially worse when I cut into the first of a 4 pack of limes to find, once again NO SEEDS! None of the limes which I has specifically bought for the sole purpose of planting seeds, contained any seeds at all. WTF! What is the world coming to !?!?!

I'm scared people, the end is surely upon us!!! I'm going out with a bang and I'm taking c***s down with me!

FTW!!! :bootyshake:

More than likely they are polyploids.....and asexually propogated

EDIT- *polyploid varities

More than likely they are polyploids.....and asexually propogated

EDIT- *polyploid varities

yeap most fruit trees r!!!! and if they have seeds ie custard apple they will not grow :BANGHEAD2: if u do get some fruit seeds to grow they most probably b different and grow the root stock [graft]?? i planted a hass avo seed from work to c what the tree will b .. our hass r grafted on 50 year old shepard avos but mine seedling now small tree looks heaps like a reed avo ... fucks me :blink:

BAh I've grown hundreds of custard apples from seed found in fruit!

I'm still wowwied :(

I grew some beautiful big capsicums this year, they were cheap seedlings from bunnings ($1 each!) And I did not get a single seed!

I would have been pretty self-sufficient for seed next year if the snow hadnt wiped out all my almost-ripe leafy greens seed.

I wonder how much longer heirloom organic seed will be available for purchase.

Its apparently impossible to find in the US now.

There are "desirable" seedless polyploids and some seeded ones that have infertile seeds (been caught trying to start these before). Many different types of ploidy going on.

Welcome to modern horticulture....maize,wheat,watermelons,strawberries,bananas,tomatoes,sugarcane....and on and on and on.

Get the seeds while you can, store q few, grow a few, give away a few. I think the seed savers situation is better nowadays than it was but it's somewhat haphazard still with few people keeping records and losses quite high for individual growers. Most of the problem is lack of space to grow my losses in the blue mountains was huge and since then haven't had the space to grow stuff. Modern agriculture and worldwide capitalism sucks. We are fucking up on so many levels it's mindboggling

BAh I've grown hundreds of custard apples from seed found in fruit!

custard bought from worthless or coles?? it will not grow to b the same fruit as the 1 u bought!!!!!!! and the new self pollenated varietys

''c3 pink mammoths'' and soooo on seeds will not grow......

I wonder how much longer heirloom organic seed will be available for purchase.

Its apparently impossible to find in the US now.

But why would you purchase heirloom seed? You can network in for an endless supply for so little money and get locally grown varieties which perform better

www.seedsavers.net

There are similar orgs in the US, why not support them?

Heirloom is an interesting concept. Yates co-opted the term as a marketing ploy for some of their veggie lines. In a moment of weakness I bought a pack of their Qld Blue pumpkin seed from Woolies. WORST SEED EVER. Tried to grow it for three years straight. Not a single pumpkin. Poor germination. Bad enough to make me wonder if they are doing it deliberately. Really, I should know better

I was under the (probably naive) impression that growing heirloom seed was desirable because of its old and relatively pure genetics .. I have bought most of my seed online from hobby-gardeners who pride themselves on being organic. I thought that these should be better quality than seeds from a shop anyway.

Good point regarding seed tradings networks though, i'll have to have a look at whats going on locally :)

I was under the (probably naive) impression that growing heirloom seed was desirable because of its old and relatively pure genetics ..

Well, yeah, I thought that was the point too. And that these genetics could confer superior growing or fruiting qualities. I was surprised to see the term co-opted by Yates, thought it was a bit cheeky of them and gave it a go

I've grown QLD Blue pumpkins here before successfully from locally saved seed, no worries with performance. So I know it's not the conditions. The Yates seed was garbage, which did surprise me

One sample does not a statistical trend make, but I'm not going to waste time with other products from them either. I'll grab some good local seed instead

Maybe taking cuttings would be easier if you can find a mature plant somewhere , i recently took some Tamarillo cuttings from my mums tree which snapped and they have seemed to have taken in the middle of winter .

Plants are selected for seedless varieties sometimes via bud sports or chance seedlings. Mandarins however will be seedless if grown alone in 1 variety, but if it gets pollen from any other mandarin or any other citrus infact it will be seedy. So seedless mandarins are grown in large blocks of single varieties. So just cause its seedless doesn't mean anything IMO. Some plants like the eureka lemon are polyembriotic. Meaning they produce many seedlings from one seed. Mangos also do this. Normally one is from sexual reproduction and the rest aren't.

The Koanga Institute in NZ is a great source for heritage seeds/plants. Check them out :)

www.koanga.org.nz