The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Anyone keep or sell scorpions?

I'm looking for a coiple species used to keep them but got rid of them keen to have another go. Looking for either Squama or Lychas marmoreus obscurus or similar

They have a couple in one of the pet shops here in Townsville (petHQ). They only have 2 types as far as Iv seen - what they call "desert" and "coastal" or "forest" or something.

I get huge black ones around my area ( around 10cm )...i'm pretty sure they are

URODACUS PLANIMANUS
When i first discovered one it was fluro green for a good 5 minutes after uncovering it, then it turned black. Shame i cant post one to you....
planiszt8.jpg
Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 4

I had heaps years ago I bought them at the green scorpion forum. But not that keen to go back on it. I liked the little Lychas marmoreus because they would live in groups and were really active and the squama because they were psychotic lol.

I had heaps years ago I bought them at the green scorpion forum. But not that keen to go back on it. I liked the little Lychas marmoreus because they would live in groups and were really active and the squama because they were psychotic lol.

Ahh I get these type around the house .. interesting, I just read up about them and they are one of the more venomous types found in Oz...

• Like 3

that makes my little wood scorpions look tame...lol...they sneak into the house at times and love the bathroom.

greg_cerc1.jpg

• Like 2

i have two forest 1s i got from a petshop! also have loads around the house in old dead timber dont know there name but look similar to waterbois pic???

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

Mine are tiny little buggers Bullit, they do pack a decent sting though...lol....only ones in Tas and I know they are on the big island in Vic and NSW, yours look different to me a bit more robust

nar thats my pet pic! the wild 1s look like your pic <> they r small and have a long tail ?? sorry dont have any pics ....

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

Waterboy squama thats the ones vicious little buggers. I had about 4 species in total but those two were my favourite.

• Like 1

bullit your are probably Lychas marmoreus or sililar

• Like 1

Yep, they are little but some are kinda psycho....I have also had some pack a sting a hell of a lot stronger than others (particularly if more grey coloured - no idea why).

Here's a pic of a scorpion found out near Broadwater QLD, sorry photo was on a phone

post-11291-0-22770000-1371383441_thumb.j post-11291-0-99180300-1371383366_thumb.j

I was a bit nervous feeding it this Scutigeromorpha sp as it was a bit bigger than the scorpion. The scorpion came out on top & believe it or not he ate the whole thing only leaving two legs!

post-11291-0-89700800-1371383542_thumb.j post-11291-0-44012400-1371383612_thumb.j

Cheers

Jox

post-11291-0-99180300-1371383366_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-22770000-1371383441_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-89700800-1371383542_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-44012400-1371383612_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-99180300-1371383366_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-22770000-1371383441_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-89700800-1371383542_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-44012400-1371383612_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Here's a pic of a scorpion found out near Broadwater QLD, sorry photo was on a phone

attachicon.gif2013-03-31 15.20.20.jpg attachicon.gif2013-03-31 15.20.04.jpg

I was a bit nervous feeding it this Scutigeromorpha sp as it was a bit bigger than the scorpion. The scorpion came out on top & believe it or not he ate the whole thing only leaving two legs!

attachicon.gif20130430_231508.jpg attachicon.gif20130430_231518.jpg

Cheers

Jox

Ive witnessed the same battle before, but the centipede won....

• Like 1

The green scorpion is always a good place, or check the for sale section on www.inverts.com.au

Try and avoid most pet shops as they most often do not look after them right, keeping them in unsuitable enclosures. The pet shop here is one of those examples, Poisonshroom. Especially with the tarantulas, which should be give plenty of substrate to burrow or at least some sort of structure to make a chamber to hide in as well as a humid tank. I know it doesn't really sell the animal as well if it's tucked away hiding in it's burrow the entire time, but it doesn't send the right message to uneducated people who buy them and keep them in similar conditions. There's also the issue of the source of the animals, which even if obtained legally through a collector with a permit, often these people do wipe out local populations of species. Plus they are generally sold with totally wrong species names.

Trying to purchase captive bred critters is always good.

• Like 6

I was going to get into Aus tarantulas but they jut freak me out real bad.

scorpions! :o you guys are crazy haha

• Like 1

scorpions are cool. i have had a few over the years. i had a rainforest scorpion in a big aquarium for a few years when i was a kid, then got a big praying mantis and thought they would be good tank mates because the scorpion lived on the ground and the mantis lived up in the branches i had set up. They got along just fine for maybe 6 months then one day i noticed the mantis was so full it looked like it was about to explode, and there were two scorpion nippers on the ground. So the scorpion got eaten and then two days later the mantis layed a bunch of eggs and died aswell. Then about a month after that they hatched and i had hundreds of baby mantis about the size of ants all through the tank

• Like 2

Mantids are real cool we had them in the yard for years then I knocked a tree down and I haven't seen them. Big Brown ones they used to eat the butterflies.

I was going to get into Aus tarantulas but they jut freak me out real bad.

Don't do it! They'll take over your life. You start with one then end up with hundreds!

Oh wait, you guys a plant heads. You know this already...

But seriously, they're fascinating. Watching them simply walk around and web up the tank is really cool. Feeding is always fun too!

Although, like I said, they are addicting. I started with one then quickly built up a large collection. Then started breeding them, and that increases the numbers dramatically! Especially when you'l get around 100-300 spiderlings from an egg sac.

I've slowly sold most off again now due to other commitments, but still keep around 10 of my favourites.

Then there's centipedes. Now they're creepy, but incredible!

• Like 3

Wameron did you ever get bitten by an aus tarantula? Some of them are quite toxic, right? I owned two but they died after 3 months or so, which was kind of a relief as I'm an arachnophobe.

Centipedes are top-of-their-game preditors, right? I've seen docos of them smashing all kinds of creatures.

Wameron did you ever get bitten by an aus tarantula? Some of them are quite toxic, right? I owned two but they died after 3 months or so, which was kind of a relief as I'm an arachnophobe.

Centipedes are top-of-their-game preditors, right? I've seen docos of them smashing all kinds of creatures.

I've not been bitten yet fortunately. Although the bite of the australian tarantulas isn't suppose to be too bad. Very painful, as the fangs can get quite large, but won't kill you. Might make you a bit nauseous and throw up, but nothing serious. Dogs and cats however are very prone to their bites and most of the time ends up being fatal.