The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Giant pumpkin contest!!

Stillman do you want some silica as i would like to see how it works on the vine problem

• Like 1

wouldn't say no mate, silica is the shiz I have been using it to spray my sunflowers and the new pumpkin. Is it expensive? I am happy to buy it off you if that works better for you?

I'm using it sparingly, shouldn't need a lot when your in the dirt.

• Like 1

I have a litre of dutch master silca you can have ( old stock) still perfect to use on plants. Plus i can give you a bottle of

super bud . Silica is normally expensive but it is my all time favorite nutrient additive . your welcome to pop over i live in Toowong

• Like 2

I have soo many female flowers but not a single male for pollination.

Can someone possible send me some male (PUMPKIN) pollen? I can trade seeds of various types.

that's weird Ceres have you got a pic?

The genetics of these big lumps is such a mess it doesn't surprise me though.

• Like 1

I thought I wouldn't produce anymore for a period there...they all flowered out and stopped for a while but they have punched a few more .

Whats the viability of pollen? (I thought it was very short , 'cause its sticky). I'll investigate Ceres

I am PTSD right now (back to work tomorrow...lol), check back tomorrow and see what I can do :wink: .

lol...this thing is as round as a ball

DSCF9393_zps7c6a8ef2.jpg

• Like 3

Will try add a pic tomorrow.

I had male flower buds, about 11 of them to start with but every one has disappeared before opening, I think the slugs are getting them and demolishing the whole buds.

Now the plant seems determined only to produce female flowers, I have about 8 unfertilised mock fruit there to remind me of my failures. To add insult to injury the slugs are also eating the female flowers where they take the pollen.

Nice to see you have lift off Waterboy :)

yeah Mr WB...thats science....lol

alright here it is before I really go black ops on it.

DSCF9394_zps2297100a.jpg

If ya really want some pollen Ceres Pm ya addy again and I'll try to get some time in the morning over the coming days....lifes a bit crazy...but could rustle it Friday??

• Like 6

Look out here comes WB :) He has got the ruler out things are getting serious.

I had a feeling that this was going to happen. It looks like it might be no longer a one pumpkin race.

How are you feeling Stillman. :) Have you got another one set yet. I want to see both of you pumping these monsters at the same time.

Head to head, Pumpkin V Pumpkin, Planthead V Planthead, North V South, :lol:

Cheers

Got

• Like 5

got a little plant going for the Brisbane EKKA pic to come.

• Like 1

lol... I was in this to give it a red hot crack...still got the second vine to pollinate as well. I will say that a serious standard has been set by Stillman :) .

C'mon I have to have a go ...he cant win them all. The Tassie weather is going to be epic over the next week at a good time in the growth cycle for this pumpkin.

smash them at EKKA mate :wink:

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

Hey WB have you tried growing giant Kohlrabi? I'm keen to give them a run, but I reckon your climate would be the best for them.

Kohlrabi kicks arse Stillman, they are great grated into salads :) Have also heard of a bloke making a chip out of them, not convinced of that idea yet....lol

My late ones are really struggling now in the high 30's heat, looks like they are going to bolt to seed now ...so its all over red rover.

But yep they do very well down here. They are very heat sensitive I've found, but may be the varieties I have run.

EDIT- lol hang on...GIANT Kohlrabi....no haven't grown it...but I'm sure it would love it here.

Edited by waterboy

it takes 130 days to grow? If your keen have some seeds?

lol....I can get 130 days out of under a 4 season climate.

The regulars get through quicker than that , but they are not that big.I would imagine a giant one is almost woody...heading a bit like the walking stick cabbage stems.

Would love a few mate I'll PM ya my addy again, and its a trade...will send ya some more pump seeds...lol

Today I can confirm a fruit set on the other vine :lol: However I don't think it's "the one". Hoping to set the next one on as well.

Current status of No.1

DSCF9440_zpse172a609.jpg

• Like 4

Jesus Christ. Well atleast I didn't make a wager with Stillman or WB.

Incogs out, now I just have to worry about Hillbilly.

Where's yo pumpkin at hillybilly one?

I still don't have a pumpkin to speak of. My vine is huge now and the main leader is starting to climb up a tree. Still not giving up tho. My soil is amazing, and the vine is very healthy. Just need some pollination action, and a bit of sun, plz universe? I'll be good!

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure I've seen the quote "...photo doesn't do it justice" before....so true

DSCF9449_zpsb34fbad0.jpg

when its not being looked at, its covered in a coupla old sheets :wink:

• Like 2

dont think mine is getting any bigger, but im still ahead of incog and ceres! Thats two good wagers!

1526898_10202494246471785_431032088_n.jp

• Like 2