The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
qualia

Lester: prickly passion for cacti

http://vimeo.com/67267511

Lester Meyers began collecting cacti at only eight years-old, when he was given a cutting during his milk delivery run in Gilgandra. His passion for accumulating and caring for these prickly plants has continued for over sixty years, and his collection now exceeds 2000 plants.

courtesy of abc open

• Like 13

I saw this on tv tonight, great cacti! Sounded like a really nice guy too. But gardeners always are right? Salt of the earth :)

someone should make a 6 part doco or something just focusing on the cacti farms/nurseries around oz,

• Like 4

lester's a champ, only visited him once but spent half a day just hanging out in his greenhouse, ogling his mind blowing plants & chatting.. just a great & real interesting bloke. this was 5 or 6 years ago. at the time, i saw some very unique looking trichocereus that he most definitely couldn't sell me.. he talked about going to chile to do some research on this species. i still wonder if he did that.. i can't remember the species name

Its crazy how this stuff goes viral. The Denver botanical gardens just posted this to facebook the other day...

Yep highly recommend the old chap , fantastic skills great prices

What a great dude :) i like the part where he mentions that he has to threaten them with th hatchet sometimes :P

Its crazy how this stuff goes viral. The Denver botanical gardens just posted this to facebook the other day...

i knew his secret couldn't last

Yeah Lester is a good old bloke, I've made the trip out to Gilgandra a few times and always leave happy :) Great prices on pretty much everything.