The Corroboree
Scarecrow

Enneagram personality typology

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was reminded of this by the Zodiac sign thread, and figured I may as well share just for fun.

==========

Take the test here:

http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/dotest.php

Once you've done that, the above website has some type descriptions, but I've found they are mediocre in comparison to the in-depth ones available at this website:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/descript.asp#.Ualwxpzpw2g

So I suggest you look there for a description instead.

==========

The enneagram is a personality typology system. I generally don't expect much from personality tests, but this system is, in my experience, surprisingly accurate and in-depth.

It gives you a personality type number, from 1 to 9.

E-TypesName.gif

You may also get a personality "wing", which suggest you take on traits from a different type also.

The "more levels by depth" section of the descriptions, is a measure of the different levels of "health" of your personality. More information on levels here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/DevelopmentLevels.asp#.Ualx75zpw2g

But the thing that really captured my interest was this: Once you have your personality type, the same system can be used to as a guide to find an appropriate "path of transformation"; that is, a personality-specific method type for achieving enlightenment:

Transformation.gif

And also gives an idea of what attainment for each type might be experienced as:

EssentQualities.gif

More info on those details, for those who are interested, here:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/spirituality.asp#.UalySZzpw2g

And there's plenty of other interesting stuff on the same website, to be explored at your leisure.

(I didn't look too much into it, but it sounds like Gurdjieff had something to do with the Enneagram)

==========

I found that I was a 9 with a 1-wing. My description was freakishly accurate, and I found that I have experienced almost all of the "levels" of health. Most interestingly, though, my method of seeking enlightenment already was self-rememberance before I even knew this system existed. Maybe a coincidence, but still very interesting. I'm eager to see what other people think about this.

I'll add a poll so everyone can vote for their result.

Type 7 8 wing? What's the wing bit?

An enthusiastic challenger ? I dunno about thAt!

Edited by incognito

Type 7 8 wing? What's the wing bit?

7w8 means you're a type 7, but take on some traits of a type 8 also.

I don't think the website I've posted goes into details on differentiation with wings though, so don't worry about it too much. They've got a book with that extra information in it... I guess they have to retain some information to be able to sell it.

(If you google around you might find some information on it, but the other websites are pretty shit in comparison)

Edited by Scarecrow

I'm a type 4 "Individualist" with a 3 wing sexual variant. A nut job, by most standards. Or so a type 4 "Individualist" with a 3 wing sexual variant would believe, in a somewhat negative yet exhuberant fashion.

The description is remarkably accurate, and I would say I have had both healthy and unhealthy levels in my life, more towards the unhealthy so I should use this information to try and break free of my personality and let myself shine forth.

• Like 1

I'm a type 6 wing 5... Intruiging

im 2w3 a helper lol , only if im helping myself first

6w7 :o yup, its all about fear and escapism for ol' eatingsand

no real surprises there unfortunately, but its nice to see theres a path of transformation

thanks for this thread scarecrow

Edited by glimpse
  • Like 1

LOL where are all the SAB reformers?

5w6, fairly accurate

5w6. Bit of a change from the ol' Myers-Briggs.

“You are most likely a type 4 or 5. Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 4w5 or 5w4. It is not clear from these test results which Enneagram type and wing you are……… You might also benefit from taking the test again later.”

“You are most likely a type 6.Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 6w5.”

To be honest I think the first result was more accurate; I’d be more inclined to think of myself as a 4w5.

“You are most likely a type 4 or 5. Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 4w5 or 5w4. It is not clear from these test results which Enneagram type and wing you are……… You might also benefit from taking the test again later.”

“You are most likely a type 6.Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 6w5.”

To be honest I think the first result was more accurate; I’d be more inclined to think of myself as a 4w5.

wow, it actually acknowledges it if it's uncertain haha

• Like 1

What does self surrender freakin meannn?

I suppose thats up to interpretation, i would think it could possibly mean putting other's needs / opinions ahead of your own.

But i personally dont think much of this thing.

I took it quite seriously last night, i was bored so i read into it quite a bit, thinking it was possibly quite accurate.

I was very close between 5 and 6, 6 only won by one point, so i internalised this, thinking maybe i am evolving from a 6 into a 5, because the chronic fear and anxiety of 6 has dominated my life thus far, yet i feel today i fit more with the 5 description these days,

i especially resonated to some comment about 5's having a tendency to focus to much on collecting knowledge and maintaining your collections and an avoidance of dealing with important situations by delving into the imaginative freedom of your mind.

But then i tried the other version of test and it told me i was a 1 wing 2, which says to me that we all change so much daily or even hourly that getting an accurate result is highly unlikely.

Just like horoscopes, we can probably relate all traits to different aspects of our personality.

Its funny my dad said to me once, "you're at the age now where you have probably realised there is not just one 'you', but a diverse collection of 'you's' who are each drawn out by interactions with certain people and certain situations"

Like a tool-box of subpersonalities, who each have their individual strengths, weaknesses and agendas. Learning to utilise them for your growth and development is the tricky part though, rather than letting them control and confuse you.

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

What does self surrender freakin meannn?

Enlightenment

Didn't you know?

Bogfrog suddenly takes on yet another personality and becomes "The Challenger", questioning the veracity of the test she has just undertaken several times to see how she can resolve her internal conflicts ;)

Lol hey i only took it twice! :P

Just trying to be 2 - The Helper! It's interesting, I feel a bit like going back and doing another one, but I think 4 explains my state of mind very well at the moment, and of times past. I will have to explore some other personality types to see if I feel a connection..

Go on! 'Tis rather fun.

That second site has much more in depth and believable info. Interesting what it says about the corresponding addictions too.

Edited by bogfrog

Yeah but surrendering to what?

Yeah but surrendering to what?

Sounds like it probably means surrendering the ego/mind (be warned, this feels like death):

"The key issues of the Instinctive Center involve resisting reality by maintaining imaginary boundaries to define the self. We create these imaginary boundaries because, once we have become estranged from our Essential nature, we lose our feeling of substantiality — of being a real, palpable presence in the world. Because we do not occupy a real space, we must construct an imaginary one and then protect it. Much of the work with this Center involves the recognition of these imaginary boundaries and their artificial nature. When we are able to do this, we being to re-experience ourselves as Presence, as something real and as spaciousness. Thus, there is no need to maintain false boundaries.

The three paths connected with the Instinctive Center are Self-Remembering (at point Nine), Self-Surrender (at point Eight), and Acceptance (at point One). We see that when we are actually occupying our instinctive functions, we know that we are here directly—we remember that we exist right now (self-remembering). We fully experience our "is-ness," and it is not based on stories or pictures of ourselves held in the mind. We are engaged with reality, with a complete immediacy."

• Like 1

Summarises ALOT of what I have been reading lately. I'm trying! It's not easy- my ego is a force, I am slowly becoming more conscious of it, and the ways it reinforces itself to stay alive. All that comes from ego for me is suffering, you think it's I'm your favour then you or someone else ends up hurt... Bah existence it's a headfuck :)

• Like 3