The Corroboree
altenate

Lilly Pilly Jam & other bush foods Receipes

Might be a better thread in sustainable though...But it is a bush food.

Maybe we need a receipe thread for all things bush food style?

I hear Echinda is the best aussie meat. Just got to get rid of those spines.

A pair of pliers, some boiling water but only applicable to a freshly seen road kill!

I awesume its completely illegal though.....waste not want not ;)

Snake aint so bad cooked on a fire! Roo also.

Just make sure its fresh & check for worms....

Any one tried making this? Lilly pilly jam that is!

As they aint great on there own I was thinking of making a jam from them.

Lots of fruits at the moment & I hate seeing stuff go to waste..

Guess the sugar would make it sweeten up & make it more palatable.

What about Pectin? Heard somewhere that Passionfruit can be used for this ?

Any receipes that people have tried from our aussie natives?

How about bread or some such thing that passes as bread from Lomandra? including wattle seeds??

Any others?

• Like 2

Wow, Lilly pilly jam sounds rather interesting.

Still, I can't go past home-made rosella jam. Absolutely delish, and as soon as my Rosella plants are ready to harvest I'll be making a batch. I do have an idea for the sweetening side of things though...

I'm sure you have heard of the new Pepsi next that uses 30% less sugar than normal Pepsi due to the addition of using a natural sweetener from the Stevia plant, well that's exactly what I plan on using for my home-made Rosella jam. I'm guessing it will still need SOME sugar though...

I'll let you know how it goes :)

Yeah Stevia could be an interesting addition.

Not sure on adding Pepsi next though! :huh::wink:

green apples are a good source of pectin for making any type of jam. plus they have a similar sort of tang to lilly pillies. and yeah you need to add sugar aswell to help make the jam set properly otherwise there is a good chance you will just end up with lilly pilly flavoured paste i think

Never made jam, though I would love to try. Have made a cordial type drink from some before though - That was pretty tasty!

I'm sure you have heard of the new Pepsi next that uses 30% less sugar than normal Pepsi due to the addition of using a natural sweetener from the Stevia plant, well that's exactly what I plan on using for my home-made Rosella jam. I'm guessing it will still need SOME sugar though...

Be very careful about changing the sugar content of jam recipes if you're not planning to eat them immediately! The sugar content in jam is what preserves it long-term. If you're going to keep the jar in the fridge and eat it in the month or so after you make it, you should be okay, but for a shelf-stable product you should find a reputable, tested recipe.

i have a shit load of davidsons plums ready!! love to jam these guys! any recipes???

bullit you should be able to find some jam recipies on the net and just use davidson plum instead of whatever fruit it says in the recipe. i cant remember off the top of my head but i think you need to use about the same amount of sugar for however much fruit you are using. but you should google it because im not too sure

• Like 1

yeah theres a shit load ! just chekin if any1 here has a cool recipe <> i can eat the fruit how is but jam sound good aye

It's commonly made into 'jelly'. I love 'em fresh though.

Last year I juiced them. Delicious!

• Like 1

Here's a recipe for making your own jam out of basically whatever fruit you want: http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/how-to-make-pectin-free-jam.html . This chick is fully crunchy self-sustainability, so when she puts stuff in a can, you can guarantee it's safe to eat next year. The Davidson Plum specific recipes I've seen (http://feedyourinnercook.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/davidson-plum-jam.html and http://www.bellingeneye.com/2012/07/18/davisons-plum-jam/) have a 1:1 ratio of fruit mass to sugar, though, so the pectin-free recipe might be a bit tart for your liking.

• Like 1