The Corroboree
woof woof woof

Injecting/transplanting live cells into cacti

What if you transplant cells of lets say a Lophop in a Trich and they survive in the trich under the skin. Would that get expressed in some way?

• Like 1

They'd probably only survive if they were meristematic and I don't know! Sounds like a really cool experiment to me

Why don't you try a loph graft where you really mush the loph and the pedro around together, get the cells mixing up and hope for a chimera.

Just wanna say i'm so glad I'm not one of your cacti woof woof, u meanie :P

• Like 3

Maybe worth trying this in conjunction with some BAP ?

• Like 1

Someone should BAP both the graft stock and the loph as well ;)

sounds exactly like GM you guys should all hate it. lol

• Like 2

but as for the question it would be unlikely to express obvious variation however if sample was taken and tissue cultured the progeny may have accepted some genetics both parents and progeny would have to be mapped to understand what though. With out singling out anything specific it would be hard to gauge what you have added etc. Cool idea high powered air pressure might be a interesting option with cacti as a method of delivery of said genetic material. Assuming we are all open minded to such technologies.

Why don't you try a loph graft where you really mush the loph and the pedro around together, get the cells mixing up and hope for a chimera. Just wanna say i'm so glad I'm not one of your cacti woof woof, u meanie :P

woman I treat rather differently BogFroggy! A little more pleasure with a slight pinch of pain! ;-)

What if you transplant cells of lets say a Lophop in a Trich and they survive in the trich under the skin. Would that get expressed in some way?

OK, there are a few things at play here, scientifically if you did this in a straightforward manner as described above *at this point in time* I can't see how it would work. I could be wrong, and the tech could change in future, but it is unlikely right now

One of the reasons cuttings and scions cope do OK in grafts in some situations is that both still retain some degree of organisation- ie their shape, their immune systems and skin, and their food and water carrying structures. These need to be lined up together to make a successful graft. Grafts don't work for all spp, there needs to be a degree of compatability

The other is surface area and wounding. If you are transplanting a cell clump ( for argumen't sake part of a suspension culture ) then you have a much larger surface area than you imagine, and a large wound site in the scion where you insert the cells ( injection, cutting ). The scion will still have it's immune system intact, willl respond to the wounding and probably kill the invading cells from another species in the process, providing the invaders don't succumb to whatever infection gets into the scion wound site first.

I could be wrong, I'd be happy to be proved wrong, and if i'm not now then the future will inevitably prove me wrong at some point :)

• Like 2

What if you fused the cells ( cultured sterile) together in a sterile environment like you do with tissue culture .

Then wait to see what pops up out of the callus.

What if you fused the cells ( cultured sterile) together in a sterile environment like you do with tissue culture .

Then wait to see what pops up out of the callus.

Ah, there is a technique called protoplast fusion, whereby you remove the cell walls from two species, distant or related

Then you fuse them, and allow cell walls to regenerate naturally around the combined cells, regenerate them to whole plants and select the successes out from the rest of the population

It was touted as the next big thing for agriculture and maybe medicine ( can't recall ) in the late 90's. Problem was in most cases that even if you get callus back, such callus doesn't often regenerate into whole, viable plants.

I don't think many places are willing to invest the time and money and risk in a process which has such a high rate of failure, at least until our understanding of plants and processes radically increases

The technique itself sounds facile, but multistage. I've never done it, but there is a huge ( possibly infinite ) number of variants at each stage which you will need to have down pat in order for regeneration to be successful, and you won't know what they are until the process works reliably in your species

Not a tek for home, not yet, but it's theoretically interesting :)

Edited by Darklight
  • Like 2

Anyone ever read Beckers Ring?

Thanks Darklight thanks heaps that post just opened a whole new world to me. mwhaaaa

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 1