The Corroboree
Darklight

Cute fringe-y gilled thing, but what is it? IMAGE HEAVY

Question

OMG I found this cute fringed mushroom after yesterdy's rain

It captured my imagination because of the entirely entertaining fringe it sports. Yesterday it looked like this ( not my pic )

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/borninborneo/7360712092/

But today the fringe or tufts were fully formed and pointing upwards- they weren't ragged edges of the broken cap, they were properly differentiated

Here are the collection details:

• Found growing solitary on 30/5/2013 after rain, cap fully opened at 31/5
  • Approx GPS co-ordinates: -28.596731,153.097572
  • Grown on what appears to be leaf litter at a treeline in a cow paddock so unsure of substrate
  • Cap- 150mm light/mid brown with raised fringe edge kinda like a parasol. Really. Not broken, but actually fringed!
  • Really distinctive ring, kinda blobby or knobbly like Calendula seed, stained mildly yellow
  • Stem about 100mm
  • Gills blue/grey
  • Cap broke off during transport and no staining observed
  • Spores appear to be blue grey, no pics as yet

Didn't have a camera with me so I didn't get any pics in situ

I whacked some stem mycelium on an MEA + chloramphenicol plate I had sitting round, but I may have over-enthusiastically sterilised it, if it is interesting I may try to grow it on from the spore print

Pics so far- links are to thumbnails, full pics in Gallery here:

sml_gallery_12_4_634882.jpgsml_gallery_12_4_1035761.jpgsml_gallery_12_4_1034684.jpg

sml_gallery_12_4_183466.jpg sml_gallery_12_4_1104894.jpgsml_gallery_12_4_926667.jpgsml_gallery_12_4_598827.jpg

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

Looks like Stropharia rugosoannulata from the pics? I've found them in paddocks in NNSW, they're yummy. Unsure what to make of the wiki article which says they grow on woodchips, mine seemed to be growing on cowshit. :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Looks like Stropharia rugosoannulata from the pics? I've found them in paddocks in NNSW, they're yummy. Unsure what to make of the wiki article which says they grow on woodchips, mine seemed to be growing on cowshit. :scratchhead:

Oh! The ones I've seen here before haven't been so brown! It does look like a few of the pics I googled to confirm your diagnosis

Thanks mate, good reference!

It reminds me a bit Psylocybe squamosa. But they're much smaller, thin stems and all.

Nice link anodyne, didn't know some stropharia being considered edible.

Cool, I have a sterile putative isolate. Once it is confirmed by fruiting I'll get it out there

Are there cultures of other native strains species out there for swap/trae/sale, apart from the Omphalotus nidiformis?

Edited by Darklight

Nice link anodyne, didn't know some stropharia being considered edible.

The grey gills and the strange annulus (ring about the stem) of stropharia species are enough to kill any thoughts of edibility for me. :blink::unsure:

No no, they are good eating! The one in the pic would probably be getting a bit big & raggedy for ideal tastiness, but if you can find some younger ones they are quite nice. Not like morel/porcini levels of deliciousness, but I'd rank them above Agaricus sp. - they're similar in taste, but have a nice subtle nutty flavour as well.

• Like 2

Any idea how many Stropharia species are edible and if some Stropharia species are inedible or toxic ?

I believe most are not good to eat & some are listed as "possibly toxic", although I've never seen an analysis of these toxins. My ID book only lists Stropharia rugosoannulata & aeruginosa as edible, and even the aeruginosa is considered dubious by some sources apparently (although at least you're not likely to eat one by mistake!)

I found an answer to my habitat question too - apparently they grow on both wood-chips and "humus-rich soils". I saw some growing in woodchips a few weeks ago, and it is definitely the same species that is in cow paddocks up north.

• Like 1

I've seen heaps of a Stropharia species growing on woodchips. caps as big as dinner plates. :o

No no, they are good eating! The one in the pic would probably be getting a bit big & raggedy for ideal tastiness, but if you can find some younger ones they are quite nice. Not like morel/porcini levels of deliciousness, but I'd rank them above Agaricus sp. - they're similar in taste, but have a nice subtle nutty flavour as well.

*Above* Agaricus? Now I'm interested :) What's your preferred recipe Anodyne ( I'm off to the post office with your trade tomorrow, promise. So bad at getting to the post office... )

I'm super-cautious about trying new mushrooms but I believe the ID on this to be almost 100% conclusive. And I'm interested in encouraging people to cultivate the edibles around them ( so they have good ID and species sub-type ). This is getting to be fun.

acording to stamets, no psilocybe, stropharia or panaeollus is toxic

but you got to be able to tell psilocybe/stropharia, and pan , right?

dinner plates??? comeon!

stropharia???

dont think so, dont be easy on the ID

DL - I'd just cook them like agarics, they have roughly the same texture, maybe a bit more fragile? Recipes? I dunno, I've fried them in butter with eggs for breakfast, put them on pizzas, probably other things...

• Like 1

dinner plates??? comeon!

stropharia???

dont think so, dont be easy on the ID

No kidding. The annulus is unmistakable, no easy ID here.

Majority of caps were 3 to 4 inches but there was the odd cap that was eight or more inches across

I really thought of it as a prolific weed mushroom and was not keen on them as the same bed had previously been fruiting Psilocybe cubensis which apparently weren't coming back. :(

Edited by Mycot

I have eaten these (wine caps/rugosoannulata) alot recently and they taste good, no ill effects. Most of the ones coming up and growing huge are the albino form which has a stronger smell and flavour.

• Like 1