The Corroboree
cactuscarl

Psilocybe in Qld winter?

Hi all I'm just wondering if there are any psilocybe shrooms in Qld that grow in winter? I'm on the sunshine coast with lots of bush land cow paddocks and pine forests around. I usually see a bunch of cubes in summer but I'm wondering if its worth going for a stroll in winter?

Cheers

from my knowledge in queensland the only psilocybin mushrooms that grow are cubes in summer in cow paddocks. although i've heard of a few people finding subs in the southern most part of queensland in forest and woodlands during winter, can't say i have ever had the pleasure of finding any though.

yeah u can still find them now but not when that temp starts droppin [in a few more weeks] <> we need load more rain to get them going they will b very small so ya gotta part the grass and look hard!! i have found them in winter years ago when we had a crazy warm winter...

Is this cubes or subs that you're talking about?

cubes! i am up the sunnycoast hinterland way just got 10mls now the sun is out more of this and u mite b in luck :wink:

Edited by bullit

ah cool , would of been stoked if you were talking subs now that's it getting into winter :( . unfortunately im in bundy and i think the cube season is pretty much over except for maybe the odd few if you look hard enough

Have found cubes mid-Winter in just south of the Qld border. Have heard tantalising suggestions of subs in Richmond Range/Border Ranges/Lamington/Main Range and possibly Bunyas, but no hard evidence of this. Founds subs on Dorrigo Plateau last year.

Cheers for the info guys.

Yeah I've found cubes mid winter on the sunshine coast which surprised me. It was freezing to fingers going numb as I picked them. They were only small but there a few me them.

All things being equal it depends on the weather and night time temps more than the season.
If its a particularly warm and wet winter and its not dropping down too low at night than you'll probably be in luck if you can find the right spot.

I dont know about you but its been farkn cold here this year, so I dont know how you'll go.

I was finding copelandia cyanescens growing fairly abundantly well camping by a creek in the middle of a cow paddock, in the middle of winter just outside of Townsville last year. There hadn’t been any rain in at least 2 weeks and it was rarely even cracking 24 degrees during the day at the time. Guess they must be around pretty much all year round in those parts.

Anyway, probably not much use to the OP, but I just thought it was an interesting fact about psilocybin mushrooms in north QLD, which I had always been unaware of until recently.

Edited by SunChaser

That is true, Pan Cyans will still be fruiting at lower temps and drier conditions than cubies, so are more likely the species to look for further into the winter months.

Also try to think about micro climates down near the ground, the conditions can be a lot different in one spot compared to another even in the same area on the same day.

Townsville is a lot warmer in winter than the southern 1/2 of QLD though.

• Like 1

loads of showers ,sun ,showers,sun in the last 2 days and the nite time temp is mild i rekon now is the time to go!!

went out fishing last night and crossed through a favorite cow paddock of mine seems to still be a couple of cubes hanging around

Arrr just looked up pan cyans and relished how often I see these near cubes yet never took much notice of them :( hahaha Ohwell theres always next year

Have found cubes mid-Winter in just south of the Qld border. Have heard tantalising suggestions of subs in Richmond Range/Border Ranges/Lamington/Main Range and possibly Bunyas, but no hard evidence of this. Founds subs on Dorrigo Plateau last year.

I have the hard evidence her for you mate :)

post-11291-0-53956100-1371206628_thumb.j

post-11291-0-16052000-1371206754_thumb.j post-11291-0-35745900-1371206849_thumb.j

I came across these subs up on part of the scenic rim west of the goldcoast. I know the OP was about cubes but I thought this might excite some of you. I also find pan cyans & cubes around the same area but the cubes are becoming harder to find as the temp drops.

Cheers

jox

post-11291-0-53956100-1371206628_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-16052000-1371206754_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-35745900-1371206849_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-53956100-1371206628_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-16052000-1371206754_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-35745900-1371206849_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Arrr just looked up pan cyans and relished how often I see these near cubes yet never took much notice of them :( hahaha Ohwell theres always next year

Found a few Coplandia cyanescens just some days ago.

Find this quite funny. It's much like I treated Panaeolus subbalteatus untill I figured out how good they were. :blush:

Edited by Mycot