strong pain relievers?

for migraines

either prescriton pills or any plants?

i would be happy if it was some kind

of narcotic analgesic but my main concern

is pain relief

thanx in advance biggrin.gif

aaron

psychoo : if you look at some herbal companies like GoldenGlow or whatever, they usually sell FeverFew tablets.....feverfew is a remedy for migraines.

If you want pain relief, go to a doctor..there are plenty of pills, inhalers and injections for migraine sufferers...trust me, I am one.

Depending on the severity and frequency of your migraines, will depend on what you get subscribed

Guest reville

I read in an old remedy book that putting your hands in hot water can cure a migraine. apparently some housewives used to go and do the dishes when they felt one come along.maybe get a lavender oil dishwashing liquid too or make some.

no first hand experience with this myself

I guess in order to figure this out youd have to find out wahts been done on figuring out the cause and mechanisms of the migraine and use that to screen yourself for herbs with activities that match the mechanisms

ie inflammation - aspirin or salcylic acid containing herbs - it inhibits prostaglandin synthesis thereby blocking one of the pathways of inflammation

Over the counter the strongest analgesics you will encounter are Mersyndol which contains paracetamol, codeine & doxylamine(a muscle relaxant). This will help alleviate the immediate pain.

There are a number of things on prescription you can use that are not narcotic analgesics.

Some of these have ergotamine in them as single ingredient or in combination with others. Is importanat not to take more than around six in a day or 10 in a week due to the vasoconstricting action of the drug.

Other things commonly used are serotonin agonists such as Imigran(sumatriptan),Naramig,Zomig (both in the same class)

With these drugs of course there are the usual contraindications such as St Johns Wort, MAOI's,ergotamine, dihydroergotamine,methysergide.

Other conditions contraindicated :

- heart disease or heart attack.

- shortness of breath, pain or tightness in the chest, jaw or upper arm.

- peripheral vascular disease (pain in the back of the legs) or are prone to cold, tingling or numb hands and feet.

- Prinzmetal's angina (an uncommon form of angina where pain is experienced at rest rather than during activity).

- angina.

- high blood pressure.

- stroke.

- severe liver disease.

Feverfew I have seen to work pretty well in some people but more as a preventative than a full on reliever. Once in the system it can reduce the severity & duration of the migraine so that you do not have to use as much analgesics.

Peace

i once knew a guy who wasn't content with the level of pain relief he was getting from commercial codeine pills. so he went to the lycaeum and found out how to easily extract codeine from them. i wouldn't want to fuck around too often with this sort of thing but i suppose if it hurts enough the end justifies the means.

I dont know about migraines but for severe back pain and tooth ache I make poppy tea.

Kills the pain and can be enjoyable.

CHEERS.

Hopping Eagle : Are you sure Mersyndol is a non-prescription painkiller?

bushyjohn : For your poppy tea, do you use regular poppy seeds that you can buy at the supermarket?

-bumpy

Mr bumpy. The pods are far better but the seeds do work also but nowhere near as strong. Next time you are in a supermarket read the lable on the small jars of masterfoods poppy seeds ,you may be supprised.I have also seen ducumentation on the net about bakers having morphine addictions from poppy seed tea. I hope this is of some help.

CHEERS

Originally posted by MrBumpy:

Hopping Eagle : Are you sure Mersyndol is a non-prescription painkiller?

Yeah it is scheduled S3 or Pharmacist Only medication which means that it can be bought over the counter but the pharmacist needs to hand it to the customer personally.

Just for the record:

How much codeine is in one mersyndol tab?

mersyndol are fine but ms contin are the shit, if you know someone in way too much pain see if they will part with some, you can amuse them with your reaction to a small dose ie 1 tablet - whilst it may take them 3 to feel the same way. this can be a fun way to spend the day but tolerance can lead to addiction and the dreams on withdrawal aint no picnic.

Originally posted by gomaos:

Just for the record:

How much codeine is in one mersyndol tab?

Has paracetamol 450mg, codeine 9.75mg & doxylamine succinate 5mg.

So that's the same old paracetamol bullshit again...take to many and you'll piss out your liver...sucks..

Waterdragon : MS Contin in the brand name for one of the morphine tablets isn't it?

-bumpy

yes bump, threw the pack away coz i just went looking for details when you enquired. from what passes for a memory i think they're labelled as morphine sulphate.

thanx for the info

i get REALLY bad migraines

is that MS Contin used for migraines or other pain relief?

yeah mersyndol can be bought w/out script

but u need one for mersyndol forte which has 30mg codeine, but codeine is too weak! frown.gif

i'll try feverfew and poppy tea. thanx again

zomig and that don't do much at all

c-ya later

psycho0

MS Contin is a schedule 8 drug in Australia meaning it must be registered when dispensed in a drug register & a myriad of other regultions.

Mainly used for severe chronic pain & pallative care in cancer patients.

I have known Dr's to give a shot of pethidine if migraines are extremely severe.

Would be easier to get a script for Mersyndol Forte than any of the above though.

psycho0 : you should really go to a GP if you get really bad migraines, cause then you can get scripted for the actual migraine medicines they have.

Does anyone know what the migraine medicine (like sumatriptan) actually does? like, are they just really strong pain relievers or what?