The Corroboree
Darklight

Peroxide spawn fruiting- any successes?

I'm interested in hearing other's experiences with getting cooked spawn bags ( say, for an hour or so at 100C not pressure cooked ) spawn treated with a 6% solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide- to fruit medicinals and edibles

Did you get fruit? What species did you use? What was the composition of the spawn?

I'm interested in getting a protocol together which does away with autoclaves and pressure cookers. I have one, but not everybody has or wants one and they are really fuel intensive and a safety issue

Peroxide agar is working well for me for everything except the master culture. I can dispense plates in the open air in my kitchen easily with no contamination

Hoping to find recommendations for spawn materials you have personally had success with, that are readily available, cheap if possible, and effective in production

Grain def *doesn't* work for this. I tried it in a large H2O2 grain batch before I read the bit which said it's not a good idea, and it isn't. It contams like hell

Happy to hear about things you don't recommend also

Edited by Darklight

I used king oyster spawn ( rye) then i fermented barley grain then washed with a 5ml per liter solution

and it loved it i think because of all the dead microbes. I really want to try fermenting wood chips and using

a wood lover. Plus my peroxide solution had colloidal silver in it which seems to help a lot with my contams

• Like 1

I used king oyster spawn ( rye) then i fermented barley grain then washed with a 5ml per liter solution

and it loved it i think because of all the dead microbes. I really want to try fermenting wood chips and using

a wood lover. Plus my peroxide solution had colloidal silver in it which seems to help a lot with my contams

Wow- thanks! Was this mix cooked prior to adding peroxide?

How did you ferment the barley? How much water/ what temp/ what time?

I heard of the silver/peroxide mix yesterday, but thought it would overwhelm the mycelia- nice to know it works. What's a good supplier?

cheers mate

Was this mix cooked prior to adding peroxide. No i just washed it with warm water

How did you ferment the barley? How much water/ what temp/ what time?

Its a natural ferment but you can add yakult and or a little yeast i fermented mine at 25ish degrees

untill it has a sickly sweet smell about 2 weeks ( you cant miss the smell)

I heard of the silver/peroxide mix yesterday, but thought it would overwhelm the mycelia- nice to know it works. What's a good supplier?

as long as it is mycelia you wont have a problem colloidal silver as it attacks single celled organisms and spores

my brand i use is Aus hydro plus any good hydro store will help you out

There are a few fermenting teks at shroomery . it works really well but would not suggest doing it in a enclosed space

the smell gets a bit rank

• Like 1

No i just washed it with warm water

Its a natural ferment but you can add yakult and or a little yeast i fermented mine at 25ish degrees

untill it has a sickly sweet smell about 2 weeks ( you cant miss the smell)

as long as it is mycelia you wont have a problem colloidal silver as it attacks single celled organisms and spores

my brand i use is Aus hydro plus any good hydro store will help you out

There are a few fermenting teks at shroomery . it works really well but would not suggest doing it in a enclosed space

the smell gets a bit rank

*Many* thanks for getting back to me on this one. I'll def give it a go and report back

I don't often check at the shroomery but it is an excellent resource. Because I'm not there often ( myco isn't my first love ) I find it hard to sort out the good contributors with reliable info re the signal/noise ratio