The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gtarman

Don't let your commercial potting mix dry out, ever.

So I've discovered to my frustration recently that the potting mix, seed raising mix, and cacti & succulent mix that I bought (all different brands mind you) are all impossible to re-wet if they dry out.

They literally are like fine ash after a fire, they repel water completely. I've even gone as far as to fill a seedling pot with water, put my finger in there and mush it around, and still it doesn't take the water in - significant amounts of it just stay as a dry dust.

My bitch/gripe for the evening anyway.

So true

I had this realisation the other day. Especially for seedlings it's a real problem as I forget to water on the best of days. I think I need to start experimenting with washed sand again.

Try adding and a surfactant like a few drops of soap.
Alternatively you can buy soil re-wetting stuff from your local hardware store.

you can buy soil re-wetting stuff from your local hardware store.

it's a conspiracy!

JUICE! It's the worst, especially when they have a sneaky bit of peat in them and they concrete all up!

Yes, hyrdo-phobia can be a problem but soil wetting agents do work magic!

One of my favorites is molasses diluted roughly 1:10

Its also a good source of potasium which helps regulate water transportation in the roots stem and fruits of plants of plants.

Who'da thunk? Molasses is great for so many things in the garden

I used to use it as a foliar spray years ago for micronutrient deficiencies. 2ml seasol, 2ml fish emulsion and 10ml molasses per litre water

Initially I thought it would burn the leaves or cause damage. but as long as it was done late afternoon it was the best regime ever

First year I before I started the oranges on all my trees were the size of golf balls and tasteless. After a full season of foliar spray with that recipe I was getting a feed bag or two of really healthy, larger than storebought oranges from each tree

Trees are too big to do that to anymore without a lot of effort, but I might start back using it on the veggie garden. It also stopped blossom end rot of capsicum and tomato

A good, slow soaking also works well. If using pots, popping them into a tub of water for a hour or so will do the trick.

Its probably to much organic matter in the potting mix!

wetting agents are usless as they just stop the problem for a short time! maybe its just me but i hate them..

just soak it in a bucket of water till all the soil is wet!

I would suggest to everyone to start making their own potting mix... but i guess that's not viable for everyone!

^ I tend to do both, ie I bottom-soak it in a tub full of water with wetting agent in it, and then water with wetting agent mix from above as well. Wetting agents generally continue to work, as long as you don't let the soil dry out again..then their effect is diminished. So I think a heavy mulch after you apply it is essential :)

And yeah, wouldn't have guessed about molasses...although I have a feeling it may attract a few more ants to my garden. But what doesn't, these days.