The Corroboree
PhoenixSon

Best greenhouse for $'s

I don't have much experience building stuff with bamboo, but from what I've been reading it's not as bendy as I imagined. I think he was saying that he had to split his poles into quarters to get pieces flexible enough for the dome, but I'm sure this would depend on the type/thickness of bamboo used & the size of the dome. You can permanently bend bamboo by heating it, but it takes a very long time, and I'm not even sure that it'd be a good thing in the end - using straight poles gives that springiness/resistance which would help to hold all the other interlaced poles in place. I've seen arundo donax used for garden arches/tunnels, never tried it myself so I don't know about durability (I'd guess not very) or treatment options, but it looked good n' bendy, might work ok for temp garden structures or practice domes.

Another option would be to just use a whole bunch of short straight pieces, i.e. each pole only as long as the side of the triangle as in the metal-pipe designs above, and this way you could use short inflexible lengths of bamboo (or another wood, or whatever you like). There are so many ideas for homemade connectors out there - some have just bolted or screwed the ends onto small metal plates. It'd end up being a lot heavier this way, but if you want to live in it, that might a good thing! Would probably be easier to repair/replace/alter sections as well. After reading more, I don't think parachutes are too feasible for covering shelters (except as temporary/shade cover) - for long-term use & decent waterproofing I'd want something tougher like vinyl tarp. I'm sure you could pick up all those old advertising banners etc for cheap/free.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one who spent all week reading about this. :lol:

• Like 1

Yeh the shorter bits together seems the sturdiest for bamboo, I wonder if a combination of gaffa tap and thick ass cable ties would do... Actually of course it would, just un-repairable I'd assume, or difficult.

I can see my first attempt happening over a few cases of beer and a radio for entertainment. Probably non stop till it's done lol, floodlights and a genny. Cable ties and gaffa tape would make for quick easy work I envision! I guess I could do it over a few months but I'm impatient and it's gonna get real cold out there real soon lol!

Id like it to be big enough for a fire pit too, ah the dreams, time to start cutting bamboo in my free time, cya in 6mths lol