The Corroboree
PhoenixSon

Best greenhouse for $'s

Looking for a decent greenhouse that is not too expensive...

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_shelter-logic-18-x-18-x-18m-portable-greenhouse_P3320668.aspx?search=greenhouse&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&page=2

this looks okay but i would want to reinforce it as much as possible so it doesnt take flight.

any ideas better options?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Greenhouse-4mm-Polycarbonate-Urban-Garden-Size-Quality-Greenhouse-to-grow-Veges-/171043965547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27d303ca6b&_uhb=1

A friend of mine uses this exact greenhouse and the build quality is excellent considering it's under $500. I also plan on getting one of these in the near future, especially after seeing it in person.

http://www.mazeproducts.com.au/Products/Greenhouses.aspx

not sure wat the greenhouses are like, but the growdecks good for $99. i image u can get them cheaper other than this site. 'd be worried they are not heavy enough or reinforced to handle strong winds, but who knows, I like theshelving system that slots into the uprights.

• Like 1

I borrowed this from the hot pepper forum , i was so impressed with this guys homemade greenhouse ive decided to copy his design , chainlink fence top rail frame . Hope its okay to pinch it and post here , the http://thehotpepper.com/ is wicked forum for chilli heads.

holyhotpeppers, on 29 Apr 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Finally I have managed to wrap up my new hoophouse build. I was able to build a 12ft wide x 24ft long x 8.5ft tall hoophouse for between $500-$600. All parts where purchased either at HD or online for greenhouse specific parts (i.e. poly film, wiggle wire channel).

The hoops are constructed of 1 3/8" chainlink fence top rail and bent to form the hoop. The hoops are anchored into 4ft ground stakes made from 1 5/8 chainlink fence posts.

I still have to work on the end walls and build some doors etc. Both sides can be rolled up for venting during our FL summer extreme heat. Here are some photos of the build start to finish.

The Plot
zPSDnwp.jpg

Ground Stakes
2EgD1Jg.jpg

The Hoops
b3Q1wgp.jpg
AEHNoT7.jpg

The Endwalls
zyTz3Ny.jpg
UYpxjBd.jpg

Near Completed (for perspective that is a 7 gallon pot with a 3 ft lemon tree in it.
HmAHrcG.jpg
4gGNaLE.jpg

Yes I bent the hoops myself. Each hoop is comprised of 2 10'6" 1 3/8" chainlink fence top rail. I bought a hoop bender from hoopbenders.net

Edited by bℓσωηG
  • Like 10

+1 dude that's fucking awesome

i just bought a roll of green house film and working on my design

What are you going to use to ventilate it. i was thinking a solar fan

+1 dude that's fucking awesome

i just bought a roll of green house film and working on my design

What are you going to use to ventilate it. i was thinking a solar fan

I wish it was mine now , the guy used a hoop bender from hoopbenders.net what ever that is, but it must work, each hoop is comprised of 2 10'6" 1 3/8" chainlink fence top rail.

If i ever get around to making one myself i will probably affix some doors and leave them open for ventilation.

But i will probably end up buying a cheapy first off until i get my DIY skills polished up , but if i could have five tunnels the size of that in the pics id be happy.

Anyone in NZ there's a very nicely priced 6m x 3m tunnel house for under $600 on trademe, worth it just for the frame .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/greenhouses/auction-596032694.htm

... man, I wish I had enough space to build an awesome greenhouse!

Here's what I'm about to do.

Get a couple big pieces of re-enforcement mesh ( the type they use in concreting). Bend them over to make an arch / tunnel, and peg them in with star pickets. Throw a piece of shadecloth over the top and 'Bob's your aunty"! a brand new, solid greenhouse for cheap. :)

Also it is easy to pull down and take it with you if you ever move house.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 3

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Greenhouse-4mm-Polycarbonate-Urban-Garden-Size-Quality-Greenhouse-to-grow-Veges-/171043965547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27d303ca6b&_uhb=1

A friend of mine uses this exact greenhouse and the build quality is excellent considering it's under $500. I also plan on getting one of these in the near future, especially after seeing it in person.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. if you put them together properly and fasten them down well they are awesome. The big drawback is the plastic aint so good in time after weather. MIne literally has every panel about to give up with cracks and all gone brittle to the point of falling apart.

im thinking of just using polly pipe and bend it round

there are a few vids on you tube that show you how to build one cheap

Damn, nice link bℓσωηG, looking good!

Have seen folks do a similar thing on a smaller scale using either steel rebar or polypiping for the frame. Not as good for durability I guess, but both have the advantage of not needing a hoopbender, whatever the hell that is.

Its not a hoop bender its called a pipe bender which they use in the steel industry to bend pipes

pretty simple to make

diy_tube_bender_01.jpg

• Like 2

Its not a hoop bender its called a pipe bender which they use in the steel industry to bend pipes

Ah yes American speak , i have been googling chainlink toprails for the tubing but i cant seem to find any , thats probably called something else aswell.

How to Build a Greenhouse for $150

• Like 2

Has anyone ever used polycarbonate sheeting for their roofing? I am converting one of the chook-pens on my farm into a nursery/greenhouse and I want to be able to keep the rain out but still let as much sun in as possible. The problem is that the clear polycarbonate roofing sheets say that it blocks out 99.9% of UV rays. Does that mean that it won't be any good to use as a roofing material for my nursery?

post-10282-0-23856500-1370225304_thumb.j

post-10282-0-28522000-1370225322_thumb.j

post-10282-0-23856500-1370225304_thumb.jpg

post-10282-0-28522000-1370225322_thumb.jpg

post-10282-0-23856500-1370225304_thumb.jpg

post-10282-0-28522000-1370225322_thumb.jpg

lots of commercial greenhouses are made from it now.

Well there's only one way to find out I guess. And the fun begins... :)

Done some trimming of surrounding trees today in-order to get that little bit of extra sunlight in there.

It really did make a big difference, especially after I rerouted the monster passion-fruit vine which was blocking alot of the midday sun as it was basically covering the whole roof. Much better now. B)

How to Build a Greenhouse for $150

I posted this vid before i actually watched it, but after watching it i reckon its a solid design .It would be great in the wind that my place cops. For the price i could have 10 of them instead of one shop bought one ,but just a bit more labor involved.

But I cant find the cattle grid fencing hes using , i wonder what its called in Australia and New Zealand??

Hey BlownG,

I think this is what you are looking for. It's

Wire Mesh Panel 180x120cm and the grid size is: 100x100x5mm

Here's the link;

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_wire-mesh-handy-panel-180x120cm-100x100x5mm-21866_P3069924.aspx?search=wire&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

It would work out rather expensive though as you would need quite a few of these panels to make-up a greenhouse around the size in your video but you could perhaps get the materials cheaper from a recycling centre/dump shop.

Concrete reo mesh like this comes in the sizes you would need. Much, much cheaper but not galvanized.

Couple of layers of paint after it is up, bent and secured might work.

• Like 1

Yeah that reo mesh is sturdy as... i used to have a tunnel house made with it (my first) ,staked down with star-pickets and covered with that thick plastic cafes use (weather sheild) to keep the punters dry ( i found it honest :P)

The thing with the reo is that it is rough in texture and may wear out the plastic aided by wind action , thats why i thought about the mesh the guy in the video has.

Thanks for the link and info spice of life . :)

Reo mesh would be far more easy to source , and i was thinking you could just cover it in that foam at every point it contacts with the plastic to stop the rough texture scuffing and tearing the plastic , but still a mission to do all that.

Edited by bℓσωηG

Hey guys

This will have to be quick

Dont by mesh from Bunnings got to a rural supply co or a steel supply co. You will get a full sheet for the same sort of money that bunning want for half a sheet and you will get a bigger range of sizes

A tube bender wont work to make curves you will end up with lots of little bends not a curve. What you need is a Pyramid roller/ pipe rolling machine like this http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Section-and-Pipe-Rolls. You can roll any size curve that you want.

If you are using thin wall pipe you can use a form made from stakes/starpickets driven into the ground and then bend the pipe around to make your bends. The more stakes you use the better the curve will be.

The tube for chain mesh fence is probably 11/2 or 13/4 med wall tube http://www.dicandilo.com.au/products/tubular/pipe.htm

Cheers

Got

• Like 3