The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Lepista nuda?

Question

Stomping around today and this caught my eye. The lilac hue is what drew me to it, photo doesn't do it justice.

So out with the foil, and spore print comes out whitish. EDIT - transfer to paper gives a light pinkish....which is more in character.

Lepista nuda ? - I heard something about wood blewits spreading across aus., its a first for me on the home range and appears there are a few about.

DSCF8149_zps2e233c9d.jpg

DSCF8147_zps997a865e.jpg

DSCF8148_zpsbba5819f.jpg

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

hell yeah thats a good lookin blewit. whereabouts in aus you find this?

• Like 3

northern Tas ferret, never seen them here at home before with well over a decade on this patch, and now they have moved in.

Nice smelling buggers as well.

Edited by waterboy

Lucky you! They're pretty widespread from what I've gathered, and once you've got a patch, it lasts for yonks.

I'm running a few workshops in Tassie this year...mainly Cygnet, but also Penguin and Lilydale. I've given a few free spots to members here and elsewhere, you're welcome to come along if you want-only proviso is you pipe in with tips!

• Like 3

yep looks like Lepista nuda

I wanna add, they really rule dried, so If you find a lot, and as they can get maggots easily in,

dont hesitate to dehydrate them! its worth it

• Like 3

looking very blewitty - lucky you. are we neighbours in northern tassie? i found a blewity looking thingy and was getting all excited (but it had a brown spore print) since they are cultivated in teh northern hemisphere - the sydney firm who had them in culture stopped seling them apparently. i wonder if someone has spawn left around?

Maydena railway station has a patch...some near Gardners Bay, and a promise of some from the Derwent Valley. If I get some, I'll share them for free. Big thanks to Watertrade for his genorousity.

• Like 3

Let me know when your down worowa for sure mate :wink: . Lilydale be the "closest" to me.

@seachangeau , yep gotta print em if you plan to eat them. Wouldnt say neighbours but , yep in the general neck of the woods :) .

Appears I've managed to get a stem butt running on corrogated cardboard, just got to keep making time to make sure all is well and good during an expansion. Not sure how well it will expand.

Edited by waterboy

I have a blewit patch across from a sub patch, two blocks from my house!

Sorry! Had to boast!

• Like 1

Yum. Haven't found some of these in a few years. Enjoy!

The motherload in one patch....lol

got my eye honed in on the invasion, they love isolated dogwood stands and once that was worked out I've found a few clusters.

P1000586_zps41ebde47.jpg

P1000591_zps85b1e4ef.jpg

Edited by waterboy

Thanks mate - if you want a reference for where - just pm me and ill add you to the page. Great finds btw. DId you like them cooked? I love them myself.

I found them to be strong , so used them to jazz things up rather than as a "main". Had a wicked slow cooked stew with them.

I also dried a few to try in the slow cooker again. They are flavour packed. Looking forward to seeing them again when they poke through.

I have no doubts about how aggressive these things are when they decide to run through an area. Just cannot work out why this year.

Interesting. Yes the flavour is indeed quite intense in some collections. the little ones in particular. I do like them a lot though. THe local French chef is more interested in these than morels and chanterelles.

two main fruiting areas:

low grass, close to areas of very high organics (shit,bark,wood), and underneath isolated dogwood trees ( Pomaderris apetala) in the thick leaf mulch. They are stronger fruiting under the dogwoods forming impressive numbers of fruitbodies, at this stage they don't seem to go deep into thick stands of dogwood.

Will note dogwood is endemic to here....

Edited by waterboy

If you ever get a print id love to try and culture these. I tend to find old specimens under stringybark / messmates around the hills but the prints were iffy due to age.

• Like 1

Where I live Pomaderris ap is quite common and I have a stand of about nine in the creek out the front (ranges outside melb). I actually picked up some seedlings of the very species only Sunday to plant more. I'll keep a keen eye out from now on!

• Like 1

Don't think I did any foil prints, works been full on hard keeping track on all my little projects. Will have a look about today in the workshop.

Did start a cardboard run of a stem butt, they will run but I left it out somewhere where it was getting frozen repeatably and it looks like its lost or has been overgrown.

Can definitely run you some prints next season, or even better clone out to agar :wink:

• Like 1

any idea on how easy these guys are to grow? indoors or outdoors?
I found one a few months back, got it on culture but it's just been sitting there cause I thought they are a bit harder to cultivate...