The Corroboree

hi!

I went for a long walk today, and spotted this tree, to my great delight, which is said to have been used, by the aboriginal people, as a sedative!

I am looking forward, to do some research with this plant! :wub:

something like, traditional vs modern extraction.

for the traditional method, I have in mind to use:

water, the part of a native palm which, protects the flowers (as a vessel),

fire, stones, and the herb of this coral tree.

post-70-0-26845900-1368767585_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-42633500-1368767615_thumb.jpg

erythrina_vespertilio.JPG

erythrina_vespertilio_leaves.JPG

erythrina_vespertilio.JPG

erythrina_vespertilio_leaves.JPG

• Like 7

Interesting :) Where did you hear of this guy? Has there been any research to its constituents?

I have spent a long time here at sab, that's why, hehehe.

and on top, I always walk, with my eyes very open, the first time I noticed this tree, was by accident, as I was looking for gold in a gully, and noticed this strange leaves!!

just found a good link, say's regarding the bark, "Inhibition of platelet aggregation Serotonin release

inhibition"

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/32951/InTech-A_phytochemical_and_ethnopharmacological_review_of_the_genus_erythrina.pdf

as well, always use the duke!

if you forget, google the term, duke phytochemical, and click plants!

http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/listsp.xsql

duke has no listing for vespertilio, but has listed other coral trees.

http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/findsp.xsql?letter=erythrina+&p_request=Go&amt=sc

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

Love this tree - they are very common on the east coast, quite a fair way inland too. I tend to find most of them along rivers or creek beds, but they are all over the place. I think there are also populations in southern WA.

May be placebo, but I remember smoking some bark (very harsh - not ideal) once after walking about 30km in a really bad mood, and it relaxed my aching muscles and improved my mood. I think its similar in potency to mulungu, which is another Erythrina species, which I have found reasonably effective.

Not sure of the exact chemicals, but they act a bit like curare. DONT USE THE SEEDS!!!

good bush tucker plant on the way home, native hibiscus, good nibble young shoots.

post-70-0-76091800-1368868702_thumb.jpg

btw, I can speak street...

no coin bro.

#fre.JPG

#fre.JPG

Erythrina mulungu has a long history of use as muscle relaxant, anxiolytic and sedative. Other species have also been used similarly and in higher doses for inebriation [especially seeds]. Erythrinas contain lectins that are responsible for the effect. E.vespertilio has been shown to contains these lectins too. It seems most erythrinas would have a similar effect.

Be careful with the roots or even lower parts of the trunk. When ripping them up with machinery they stink like DMT. This is because DMT and trimethyltryptophan break down to similar decomposition products which are rather smelly. Trimethyltryptophan is a neurotoxin.

Canavalia also contains lectins and the effect is similarlys edating.

Not all lectins are nice though. Ricin and abrin are some of the most toxic natural substances known.

• Like 2

I've made teas from dried shredded bark of this which had a pleasant cinnamon taste to it. Noticeable sedation also, aiding with falling asleep.

The tap roots of young plants are also mentioned to be eaten as a food source

I know this post is a bit old but I’m seeking dosage information from someone who has personally used this plant for its medicinal qualities. 

I have a 4yo Erythrina vespertilio grown from seed that’s appears to be ready for its first harvest. 

I’m looking specifically for information for the concoction of a tea with sleep inducing qualities.

There is limited information available online so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If you know of any other uses/teks I’d love to know more. 

Thanks in advance. 

Love & Light