The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
seachangeau

Bloody Agaric - ID please

Question

this is the second year i have found this 'bleeder' in my garden.

Dark chocolatey spores under a lovely buff cap and a firm silky stem which becomes quite slender and elegant and separates nicely from cap just like an edible agaric should. They start life as little chunky brown marshmallows covered in dirt - looking rather like a common yellow stainer.

today i also found another in town while walking the dog and fossicking for mushrooms since it has been raining and i went to the Fungimap day last weekend ( they gave me a cool little kit to play citizen scientist with ). Of course the kit was at home! but i had david aurora's book 'all that the rain promises' handy. He describes species that bleed profusely where the cap meets stalk like this in california and alaska. I haven't seen a mention of it in oz before - anyone?

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Agaricus sylvaticus ??

http://www.blueswami.com/List_of_Australian_Fungi.html

EDIT- nice find :wink:

mmm yes let's go with that since i haven't died several days later. it's a good match technically under a tree, in a garden rather than a forest, the hooked base of stem is noticeable in this website pics and in my mushroom when it's fully mature http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5500~gid~~source~gallerydefault.asp - i saw that last year; dr gates didn't suggest it though when i sent a photo and description.

worth cultivating do we think if i can get a positive ID?

Edited by seachangeau