The Corroboree
AndyAmine.

Buying my first OverDrive pedal, Advice appreciated.

Hi all.
Im looking at purchasing my first overdrive (or pre-amp) pedal to use with my strat + Fender Superchamp X2 combo, 15w (SS w/ tubes in the pre and post sections, x2 6V6s and x1 12ax7)

Looking in the $100-$220 range and dont mind buying second hand.

I want something with mid level gain that is reasonably transperant so I can still hear/feel the different models provided by the amp.
Im not after a tubescreemer but something with a more level EQ and some good tonal adjustment options.

The amp can be a little tight, lifeless and muddy/fizzy at times, particularly when a lot of onboard gain is used however it does cleans beautifuly for the price and takes pedals well so here we are.

I want to add something that is also going to open things up and make it a bit more dynamic (although the X2 is already pretty good with dynamics and Vol clean up etc).

The amp does Tweed and Silverface/Blackface tones quite well although could use a little more growl, Vox is so, so but the Marshall tones are woefull.

I really enjoy the American rock and blues rock, on the endge of break up type of sound but also like pushing it toward JTM45/JCM800 Plexi territory for some AC/DC and Hendrix goodness now and again. Rarely play anything with a need for really high gain distortion though.

The pedals that have made my list so far are as follows:

P.Cochrane TIM or Timmy (Handwired)

CMATMODS Signa Drive

JHS Klon Klone, Morning Glory or Charlie Brown
Keeley LUNA Overdrive, BD-2 or SparkleDrive Mod
AnalogueMan Prince Of Tone

Suhr Riot or Shiba Drive
LovePedal Kalamazoo
Xotic BB Pre-amp
Wampler Exstacy or Euphoria drive
Menatone King of the Britons
Catalinbread DLS
FullTone Plimsoul
Mad Professor SweetHoney
Radial Tonebone Trimod

Hermida ZenDrive

Any help would be appreciated.,

Particularly if you have used any of them with a strat on a clean amp. :)
Or if you know where I can get any of them cheap :)

Edited by AndyAmine.

T-Rex are a Dutch company that manufacture pedals...I have a T-Rex "tonebug"overdrive that I run on my board.

In Oz they retail for around 200-250, but u can get a new one out of the US for about 100 inc freight. Very affordable, robust metal switch & casing with a nice warm, rounded O/D. I run mine on either my Vox - AC30CC2 or else my lil' "Egnater" tweaker 112 15watt practice amp...both amps are valve. My Nashville tele has a strat pick-up configuration = HSS. I run a very basic set-up these days with Reverb, O/D, Dist, Fulltone Octafuzz & Dunlop Wah...the reverb, O/D & dist are all tonebugs.

For years i used a Vox tonelab SE pedal unit, but just couldn't quite get the right sound...good luck with it :wink: .

• Like 1

Only just saw this. But my favourite thing that I've personally heard has been the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz. Definitely more a fuzz than an overdrive, and for those who like things dirty, but pretty schweet. Youtube is pretty good for listening to demo's of pedals these days.

If you're after a more clear overdrive sound though I've heard these before (the Crowther Hotcake) and they're known for not changing the tone of your guitar much at all - this guy starts playing one on a strat at about 3:08

Edited by gtarman

I forgot about this thread. sorry Space Cadet.

I have seen the T-Rex pedals, they look like they have good build quality.
Ill be honest and say that they had not jumped out at me so far but Ill give them a second look. thanks for the advice.

gtarman, yes Ive looked at the Hotcakes it its on my extended list, Trying to find one in a shop I can have a noodle on first.
The double hotcakes or whatever its called looks like the one to get.

The old Boss tube screamer always seemed to do the job.

Fits into the Fender sound thing OK.

The future is here!

I know it's probably not what you're looking for, but I fucking love my iOS music equipment. I don't use the iStomp thing linked above, but I use an iPad with JamUp and various other effects/loopers/synths/etc running through a high quality Focusrite i/o box. I have so much good equipment for live performance now, and each new thing at this point is only a few bucks, so I can experiment and play around with little regret.

• Like 1

get an cheap old arion pedal and circuit bend it!

or even better get a couple

and you can have your fancy expensive one too!

Behringer V-amp is awesome too, IMO, but its digital [emulation]

and I am no purist , lol :P

• Like 1