The Corroboree
Micromegas

Move complete, any WA members in the north-west

Haha WA is another country for sure, and especially the Pilbara! Any corroboree members in the north-west? I'm in striking distance of Broome, Karratha, Newman, Port Hedland, Exmouth and Onslow and in that general direction, maybe even down Carnavon way sometime. That is, all of those places can be reached in about a day although Broome and Carnavon would be a stretch. Maybe i'll make it to Perth some day,

Would be good to meet some locals in the area to buffer the flow of miners in fluro hi-vis outfits every which way.

Interesting climate for cacti I think it could work well here. I will be looking for some cuttings at some stage soon just to have a few around if anyone can help out, some mature tips would be sweet. Would be keen to pick up and have a chat if anyone is in any of those places listed above.

Don't have any internet yet as NBN satellite is a headache to sort out, might be up to 5 weeks from now, I just happen to be in a built up area today.

Beautiful landscape up this way though. Still haven't seen a wild Boab it'll take some leave to get up that far. amazing variety of acacias here though i bet some are more than intriguing. Acacia citrinoviridis is one that leaps out, they call it the Pilbara Jam.

All the best to you SABers back in adelaide man i hope we get some decent rain this winter.

Cheers, Micro

• Like 5

Hopeing for rain? Youve moved to the right state :P

check out the Bungle Bungles when you can :)

Doesn't rain much here at all from what I can tell, only in the summer and then not much but when it rains it floods! Should be interesting.

The Pilbara is very much drier than the Kimberly. It also has completely destroyed my faith in the australian government (not that I had any, anyway, haha). It's crazy the way we're selling out some of our last intact ecosystems for a short term cash grab. The whole region demonstrates a significant lack of awareness and forward planning.

Definitely want to check out the bungles Blowng but it's a long way from the Pilbara and i'm not on a holiday! I hope to explore up through the kimberly at some point though and track down those boabs!

So no members in the northwest huh?

Haha, no way I was pretty much right in Roebourne today. I'm more or less out of internet range from 7am tomorrow for a few weeks. I'll send you a PM though.

welcome to the west side :P im south tho, my blood is too thick for gidgee country :P

Success! A rainbow lorikeet takes flight from a Boab, Adansonia gregorii, at Mount Barnett River, Kimberly, Western Australia.

In the end I saw thousands of the beautiful trees of all shapes and sizes, and maybe half a dozen to a dozen "Larrkardiy": "These larrkardiy, which fall within a category called malaji, have been recorded as sites of significance under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972. According to Ngarrangkani or Traditional Law, people who injure a malaji, or intrude upon one without authority, expose themselves to the prospect of retribution by these forces. Dispersed throughout the Kimberly are other larrkardiy that are believed to harbour extremely severe and potent powers. These powers may be invoked by senior ritualists to punish people who violate Ngarrankani. In many instances, the appearance of the larrkardiy is very impressive." From interp sign at the Derby "prison tree".

The larrkardiy are Boabs that are particularly old, gnarled and massive.

I did make it to the bungle bungles too. The Kimberly is a beautiful place and my mission to see a Boab in the wild is officially complete!

post-1521-0-68599600-1410252678_thumb.jp

post-1521-0-68599600-1410252678_thumb.jpg

post-1521-0-68599600-1410252678_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds like you have been getting to see some amazing landscapes with work past couple years mate :) Got anymore photos of the boabs? Heard the germ rates can be low, I can give some a go if you still have any seed.

Hey YT, I can send you some seeds just PM your address.

It is beautiful country up here. Hot though, we hit 40C yesterday already!

Here's a bigger boab loaded with fruit, also erythrina vespertillo. The vespertillo is not common at all it turns out, I saw a few along creeklines but that was all so I was stoked when I finally saw this beauty in flower along the roadside on the second to last day!

post-1521-0-75631000-1410874304_thumb.jp

post-1521-0-91772200-1410874345_thumb.jp

post-1521-0-75631000-1410874304_thumb.jpg

post-1521-0-91772200-1410874345_thumb.jpg

post-1521-0-75631000-1410874304_thumb.jpg

post-1521-0-91772200-1410874345_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi im in broome would be cool to catch up with some plant friendly people :)