The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Methysticodendron

Guest reville

Hey

I just noticed that this species is being offerred by a bunch called Abbey ethnobotanicals in the UK for a hundred pounds each - ouch

But... I would really like one, and im sure a few of you do too if youre anything like me

Such a fascinating, beautiful and rare plant.

Anyway (Torsten) I was wondering if you had any intentions on getting one for further propagation?If anyone knows how to import one its you, i dont even want to try legit importation(Besides im in WA - just to make it worse).

If you would like to try i would definitely be into a group purchase arrangement whereby several parties chip in in exchange for lower price plants later or something.

A registry of interest?

also most of the plants listed are here too but two stand out _ oncidium ceboletta and Datura ceratocaula.I know oncidium is ok to import but datura?anyone know about commonwealth restrictions?

I've had my eye on this for a while, but my previous experience with Abbey has not been good. I was hoping to find someone in europe who has already bought the plant from Abbey, to avoid the previous problems.

Financing it would not be a problem and I would not be charging such ridiculous prices for a Brug.

They propagate easily and there is no reason to charge much more than any other Brug.

I have had my fair share of quarantine problems and will not import any live plants, but I know a few people who are keen on this species and they would set this up if given the opportunity.

It won't happen overnight, but I am sure we can get this within a few months.

BTW, all brugs and daturas are quarantine illegal import.

Guest theobromus

I am not impressed by his online catalogue. See the thread about this plant at Spirit Plants for at least one reason. Simple mistakes in information.

Guest jessie

reville,

I would be interested in contributing to the cost of this plant at some point in the (hopefully near) future. sharing the cost sounds like a good idea, though I know nothing about importing plants.

Guest reville

The more i find out about this importation caper , the les i want to do with it

Cheers to torsten for feeding our appetite for new and amazing stuff.

As for propagation, im going to sell afew ornamentals at stalls to raise some money for my costa rica trip and i want to include brugmansia - particularly as it was mentioned on a TV garden show a few weeks back - any one remember the story about the change in dynamic lifter sales after don burke first plugged it - anyway, same principle

For suavolens and candida how long should the cuttings be?

Can Sanguina be struck from cuttings?

Just saw a tremendous amount of Culebra plants...very nice and the real thing! These should be readily available within a few years to those with less money. As for hybrids...can't wait to see what next year has in store as I smell a few culebra plants being crossed with a few aurea plants and such.

B.sanguinea is not readily propagated from cuttings as easily as say a suaveolens is, but it can be done. I prefer to use a mix of perlite, vermiculite, and a handful of cow patty to root mine. I use equal portions of both and put a bit of fungicide on the base of the cutting. Sulfur dusting works as well if you would rather do that. smile.gif As for suaveolens and candida, or versicolor for that matter...one can get those to root fairly easy with no problem. Cuttings can be anywhere from a few inches to a few feet. The main thing is to burry at least half of the cutting and remove the biggest leaves. YOu can even remove all of the leaves if you wish and perhaps that is the easiest way for some.

[This message has been edited by Brugmansia (edited 17 November 2000).]