The Corroboree
SkyWalker

Lophophora Williamsi Crest-Cristata-Crestated

Just realised in my normal daze, should this be in the plant and seed exchange section? lol

yes this should be in the seed and plant exchange

im sure a mod will move it for you if you ask nicely :)

which part of the crest ?

can you highlight the part up for auction.

Either way I start the bidding at $ 250

• Like 6

um dont know how to highlight the part sorry, it will be a division of the pigtail or the little bulb at the top, they are both different crest formations but equally as rare, the double headed is pupping and will be retiained by a friend until it has finished pupping so he too can aquire a double headed crest, rest assured, the money spent will reflect the quality, it will be a perfect cutting, grafted for you to a very fast growing stock, the item will be sent on graft, bare root, ready to be potted and loved, good luck guys, tipz has more than enough (heaps actually) reputation to bid freely, thankyou for your bid tipz

How do i get in touch with a moderator, should i ask water trade to do it, im sure he wouldn't mind, cheers boys

I'm sure they will see it sooner or later but you could report your own post and that will flag it for them sooner.

Cool she has been moved, enjoy peoples

Edited by SkyWalker

Haha not to burst anyones bubble :P but I got this checked out and supposedly it's the kind of crested loph that will sometimes grow normally and sometimes be crested, not consistantly crested.

Where did you hear that 'bubble' burster? Each time I buy a grafted crest, or graft one myself I also acknowledge it may return to normal growth. I'm sure with a bid of $250 (if it stands) Tipz has also had a thought of the possibilities.

I am however curious of how you came about your observations based on this picture?

D00d

• Like 2

i have heard of this, however this is normally due to the type of graft used, i have done my research, it will have the best chance possible to continue its mutated growth, any crest can return to normal growth at any point in time, there is no such thing as 'a particular crest' considering the fact that i have three different formations of mutation there i doubt you can specify which type, dont take such a run up bro, you are dealing with reasonably well versed people here, i might not be able to operate the forums but i know cacti, next time just ask if we know instead of, lol, 'bursting our bubble' :wink:, ii did not mean to offend you with the whole noob exclusion, but this is primarily why i would rather deal with people who know there stuff, that way i dont have to deal with someone foaming at the mouth if anything does go wrong (touch wood) :innocent_n:

• Like 2

Heh, no, it's okay, I'm the biggest of noobs! So i'm glad to be corrected :P I didn't figure this out myself, but got told by someone else and kind of posted above without thinking! Haha, could've worded it a bit better not to make myself sound like a douche! and D00d I'm going to ask the person how they came up with the conclusion and what other "kinds" there are... Just thinking about it now is confusing me...

Haha, I really hope you guys don't hate on me for starting all this :P and I'm really sorry to be jacking the thread in a way!

SO pretty much what they said was, "It's not a crest it's a mutant, that reverts back and forth from normal and mutant growth kind of like how Bridgesii grows, sometimes montrose, then sometimes normal growth. It chops and changes as it grows." then "All crests don't go back to normal. However I've found that you can revert a crest growth if you areole graft a crest. However, they won't go back to normal by themselves, otherwise, cultivators such as Fred and a million others would be normal by now. A crest can pup a normal growth, yes, but if it's a true crest, it'll never go back to normal."

I guess that explains their reasoning behind it...

Again, I'm not in anyway am I doubting anyone's knowledge.

Just really curious about all this... (maybe I should've started a thread :P)

<< begin thread hijack >>

Personally, I dont see a crest on any of the pictured heads. Monstrous formations yes, crested no.

Example: The small head in the middle of this pic is monstrous, not crested.

post-3765-0-02897600-1366635134_thumb.jp

Quoting from my Terratopia Book (The World of Cristate & Variegated Succulents), page 26, Figure 42, a normal meristem can mutate into one of three types of crests:

1) dichtomous

2) multiplex

3) phalangial

Most grafted loph crests are of the multiplex variety, such as this one.

post-3765-0-88776600-1366634018_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-19330100-1366634261_thumb.jp

What your posted heads will mutate into remains to be seen, but I think it would be disingenuous to call them crested at this point in time.

<< end thread hijack >>

post-3765-0-88776600-1366634018_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-19330100-1366634261_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-02897600-1366635134_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-88776600-1366634018_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-19330100-1366634261_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-02897600-1366635134_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Lets call it a difference of opinion, i think it is you think its not, this thread has been hijacked enough, by enough members, obviously it is going to be to much trouble to auction this item here, auction closed item no longer available, i dont have the time for this, nor the patience, i say auction, you say debate, i think its a bit childish guys, really

Skywalker, you are a sour puss.

Just because not everyone agrees with your apparent strict ideas on cacti doesnt mean that there comments are not valuable.

You have posted an intersting plant and as expected there has been some talk about, noob or otherwise. This is not the ubber elite cactus forum ...

Plenty of folk here know cactus better then some of your likely idles, but to bitch and moan about some minor questions is just petty.

BTW in my very limited opinion the right most and bottem most buttons do appear to be "crestated". If not they are still pretty cool.

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 5

Ahh bad, curiosity killed the thread :P Sorry to anyone wanting to get this, although a Semi-monstrose/Monstrose/Semi-cristate Loph is still something pretty awesome to own!

:( Awww... and I didn't even get to see the pics...

zelly, in day to day conversation do you often find yourself saying "no offense, but..."?

• Like 1

^^ I don't think zelly has been offensive in anyway or Sabry for that matter, they were asking questions & stating there opinions & I would agree with them. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Like eatfoo said, Skywalker is being a sour pussy. No one has been rude to him or accused him of doing anything wrong, they have just stated there opinion that the plant his is selling as a crest is actually a monstrose form, he could of listened to peoples opinions & ideas maybe learnt something & still sold his monstrose loph (Which was very nice). If you want to learn more in life you have to listen to other people & I for one am grateful to learn from my mistakes & appreciate people pointing them out to me.

Cheers

jox

• Like 5

^^ I don't think zelly has been offensive in anyway or Sabry for that matter, they were ask ing questions & stating there opinions & I would agree with them. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Like eatfoo said, Skywalker is being a sour pussy. No one has been rude to him or accused him of doing anything wrong, they have just stated there opinion that the plant his is selling as a crest is actually a monstrose form, he could of listened to peoples opinions & ideas maybe learnt something & still sold his monstrose loph (Which was very nice). If you want to learn more in life you have to listen to other people & I for one am grateful to learn from my mistakes & appreciate people pointing them out to me.

Cheers

jox

Well said Jox

I agree with the thoughts on it being monstose and I think it is important for us as growers and for the forum as a whole to be able to post questions and opinions on plants that are posted here. If we don't question a post because the OP might take the question as being offensive then this forums credibility will be undermined.

Cheers

Got

• Like 4

Skywalker, you are a sour puss.

Just because not everyone agrees with your apparent strict ideas on cacti doesnt mean that there comments are not valuable.

You have posted an intersting plant and as expected there has been some talk about, noob or otherwise. This is not the ubber elite cactus forum ...

Plenty of folk here know cactus better then some of your likely idles, but to bitch and moan about some minor questions is just petty.

BTW in my very limited opinion the right most and bottem most buttons do appear to be "crestated". If not they are still pretty cool.

I think this is a good post!

peace & respect.

We all make mistakes. Zelly has good knowledge on these things. Thanks for the education Zelly :)

I thought that didn't look like a crest. No need to get your nickers in a knot :)

Edited by sharxx101

I was told to remove it from the discussion forums to the seed/plant exchange, i had bids in the discussion forrums and discussion in the sales forum, i have no idea how youre minds operate, but f**k me i cant figure it out for the life of me, call me whatever you like, but i sort of made it preety clear i just wanted to auction a cactus, whatever