The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Ban on Binge Stories lifted pending review

I'll get it right this time...

The request I made to limit binge stories was incorrectly communicated as a rule. I apologise for the mistake.

I'll leave it as a request though.

Would ppl please consider possible options, such as rephrasing, or not posting, when pressing the SEND button on a binge post.

The binge topic is currrently under careful and considered review in another thread. I'd be intereted to hear what Torsten, as site owner, has to say on the issue, s its his decision. However the discussion is an interesting process with a range of views being aired and its not so urgent as to require an instantaneous decision.

We may end up with it as a ban, we may not. As long as we have clear and open debate I'm happy.

In the meantime, though, would those of you who are likely to stir the proverbial cooking vessel please refrain from flooding the forum with binge stories while the careful, and ultimately most worthwhile process of respectful debate continues. I'd prefer youse to wait until the issue is settled after discussion rather than hype the market for chaos

xxx

darklight

Okay ban was too strong, I understand, that was influenced by me, accidently, mind you.

I still think skitz presented his experience to the community in a way that was less then responsible, which is why I brought it to Darklights attention, in a rather light hearted manner and with a certain amount of jest in mind, I might also add.

If you show no self control or responsibility in posting, then you can just expect to be reprimanded/flamed/made an example of, in +some way+ by somebody, and that is not defined in any particular way, at least not till we have all had a cup of Chai and a good think.

Like skitz's reprimand has so far been to become the example, I am personally using to point out that I do not condone excessive drug abuse.

Discussing it with the person is in ours and their best interests. I just sometimes take for granted my general common sense on certain things. Like, for example, not mixing copious amounts of Pot, Alcohol, DXM, Google and Nutmeg and then posting it up on the forum.

[This message has been edited by ?SaToriBluE? (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest Denis Shaw

It might interest you guys to know that I have been out and about all afternoon collecting public opinion on this matter. I have submitted the results in the thread.

What "the people" had to say about the ban on binge stories

Thankyou for your time.

Influenced, SB...too strong a word. Don't shoulder the blame on this one, you just pointed it out. The only thing I am under the influence of is my own simmering neurochemicals. My mind is my own.

Which can only be a good thing...if it weren't in my posession it would be free in the outer, greater world harrassing livestock and terrifying villagers

Its great to be such a critical part of the controversy!!

My post probably wasn't the most appropriate... I think perhaps it would have been completley different if i wrote it now though - rather than directly after the incident.

With the advantage of hindsight - I don't condone the foolish abuse of drugs, but i can say that i had a positive experience.

Positive because i had been in a depressed, reckless frame of mind for the past couple of weeks and the experience served as a sort of rebirth of sensibility smile.gif So that was good...

[This message has been edited by Schitztrip (edited 26 September 2001).]

Its great to be such a critical part of the controversy!!

I hate contoversy , especially when im in the middle of it , it's nothing but stress for me and im a very "chill" fellow.

Positive because i had been in a depressed, reckless frame of mind for the past couple of weeks and the experience served as a sort of rebirth of sensibility

Im glad you were able to be healed by reckless drug abuse , it's like a form of "self shamanism healing" smile.gif

Now send me my money C*NT!!!! biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Schitztrip:

My post probably wasn't the most appropriate... I think perhaps it would have been completley different if i wrote it now though - rather than directly after the incident.

Funny, wouldn't be the first time its happened here either wink.gif

I reckon its also a positive experience cos it contributed to an open debate on a topic that has long needed addressing

i'm generally for free speech and support cs in theory.

But then again I found that trip report, what was it?...

Pot, DXM, Google, alcohol and nutmeg...a bit much really.

It's like someone wants to kill himself...unconciously. It also pissed me off having to read about nozzle boy drinking commercial cd cleaner...anything to get out of it...

several years ago I saw a young bloke in an"alternative Pub" sniffing some real poisonous glue and watched his face change into idiocy while he did it...

no i don't condone that, but we should be free to post it once in a while.

I've done things like that a very FEW Times in my life and would then have liked to write about, only there was no-one who would have read.

And then again...i just posted a "binge"story recently in "nightmares", me binging out on too much food and 6 stubbies of beer, which made me feel sooo bad...

peace and love, brothers and sisters

Originally posted by gomaos:

several years ago I saw a young bloke in an"alternative Pub" sniffing some real poisonous glue and watched his face change into idiocy while he did it...

yeah some people do really stupid things

a few years back, before i knew what datura

looked like, this guy who used to eat the

middle stigma thingy out of arum lillies!

he claimed that he got off on it and he called it datura frown.gif

luckily i knew enough to know that

arum lillies are poisonus

Guest NOB
Originally posted by psycho0:

yeah some people do really stupid things

a few years back, before i knew what datura

looked like, this guy who used to eat the

middle stigma thingy out of arum lillies!

That's a great stupid person story. I've got one just as good. I ate the flower of the Yellow tree Oleander (Thevetia peruviana)thinking it was a brug,,,, not that eating a brug flower without any experience is smart either.

Luckily I didn't experience any signs of poisoning, which is strange considering how toxic the plant supposedly is. Maybe the flowers are the only part of the plant that isn't toxic. I've read that there are cases of people being killed by burning the dead wood, the smoke gassing them. Seems hard to believe , perhaps they were merely non lethally poisoned.

yeah i thought 1 or 2 leaves of

oleander was enoough to kill!

yellow tree oleander isn't the same as oleander.

As for trip reports, I believe most of the problems would be removed if people were to post reports a week after they had the trip. In most cases they will see the lack of significance in their writing. if it is still worth posting a week later, then it will probably also interest a lot of people. This is why I favour a website for trip reports. To submit a text the author will need to have a good think about what he/she wrote. And it is there for public record and criticism.

Guest NOB

The Yellow Oleander might not be as poisonous as the Oleander but it's still chills me that I was stupid enough to mistakenly eat one of it's flowers.

Thevetia peruviana

2.1 Main risks and target organs

The main toxic effects of glycosides found in Thevetia

peruviana are related to its digitalis-like action on the

heart and severe gastrointestinal irritation.

2.2 Summary of clinical effects

The common presenting symptoms are: numbness, burning of the

mouth, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. Other

features seen are: drowsiness, coma, occasional convulsions,

and cardiac arrhythmias. Death is due to ventricular

fibrillation.

2.5 Poisonous parts

All parts of the plant, particularly the seeds are poisonous

owing to the presence of cardiac glycosides or cardiac toxins

which act directly on the heart. Ingestion of these plant

parts could lead to death. The whole plant exudes in a milky

juice which is very poisonous.

The absorption of the equivalent of two Thevetia peruviana

leaves may be sufficient to kill a 12.5 kg child (Ellenhorn

and Barceloux, 1988).

3.3 The toxin(s)

3.3.1 Name(s)

<3.3.1>Cardiac glycosides, Thevetin A & B, Thevetoxin,

Peruvoside, Ruvoside and Nerifolin are found in T.

Peruviana (Arnold et al., 1935).